Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 29 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Luma Cinch - black dye on leather rubbing off?

fryedrice
50 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 31, 2012 12:36 |  #16

fitshaced wrote in post #14928363 (external link)
Ordered one 10 hours ago and just got an email telling me its shipped with the membrane. Nice. I was expecting 5 days before shipping.

Awesome! Looks like they finally built up some inventory... it was a 2 week wait from order date to shipment date about a month ago.

sponsored links
gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 31, 2012 14:33 |  #17

I'm looking into the black dye thing now.

After we laser engrave, we need to fill in the area with a 1:5 mixture of black dye and rubbing alcohol. The raw lasered bits are not evenly black when they come off the machine. Our man in the shop seems to be getting a bit enthusiastic with the amount of dye he is applying (it doesn't take much).

My apologies for anyone with blackened fingers!

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 31, 2012 14:43 |  #18

What happened with the POTN Luma Cinch idea ?. If it doesn't work out can I have one that has DarthVader picture on it ? :).

gakoenig wrote in post #14931818 (external link)

After we laser engrave, we need to fill in the area with a 1:5 mixture of black dye and rubbing alcohol. The raw lasered bits are not evenly black when they come off the machine. Our man in the shop seems to be getting a bit enthusiastic with the amount of dye he is applying (it doesn't take much).

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

TejasPOWER
64 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Aug 31, 2012 18:55 |  #19

i-G12 wrote in post #14929356 (external link)
We've established this (external link) as the solution.

You can thank me later. :lol:

Great product!

Canon T3i | Luma CINCH | Motorsport fan -BMW, TOYOTA & MINI | BMWCCA (external link) | TTORA (external link)
Always looking to learn and to be better than before.

ghost68
163 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 31, 2012 23:03 |  #20

gakoenig wrote in post #14931818 (external link)

This is exactly why I went with a Cinch! You guys are awesome and I will definitely be recommending your stuff to friends! That said any updates on quick releases? I need at least two sets and this is the only thing that has kept me from tossing my Optech setup all together...

Smugmug (external link)

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 02, 2012 22:33 |  #21

FWIW, I've used my Cinch for an extended period of time twice now while wearing a white T-shirt and have not had any black dye rub off on my shirts. I don't doubt those that say they've had such a problem. However, I thought perhaps that this problem might be limited to a particular batch or batches of product and that my feedback might help narrow things down in that case.

Greg, is there any estimate of when your quick disconnects might be available?

Blane
Gear List

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 02, 2012 23:34 |  #22

I think I have the issue traced to a new batch of dye we use to hit the laser engraved bits. Our previous stuff was discontinued in the package we used, so we bought the industrial size bottles (we don't use much). Apparently, they also changed the formulation slightly. We'll have it fixed ASAP.

Greg, is there any estimate of when your quick disconnects might be available?

We are pretty close. We need more CNC machine time. The ergonomics are done, strength tests complete and the people who have played with the SLA/Metal prototypes have really loved it. We need a round of Beta units for beating up and final field testing. Unfortunatly, Luma doesn't own a $250,000 Citizen M33 CNC swiss lathe cell, and the people who do keep them booked *very* tightly.

FYI- this whole project would have gone a lot smoother if you people would make Canon stop using those silly inset strap bracket! =)

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,528 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 20, 2012 12:39 as a reply to  @ post 14931243 |  #23

I just placed my order! I hope mine does not have the black dye problem....

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

i-G12
Wat?
1,899 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 20, 2012 13:14 |  #24

Inspeqtor wrote in post #15019341 (external link)
I just placed my order! I hope mine does not have the black dye problem....

They said they tracked down the problem and corrected it. I don't think it's going to be a problem for you.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 20, 2012 20:07 |  #25

Mine only had the problem for the first week of light use or so, now its fine.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links

4,812 views & 0 likes for this thread
Luma Cinch - black dye on leather rubbing off?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.