Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 31 Aug 2012 (Friday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need a way to mount multiple speedlights

James33
568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 31, 2012 13:00 |  #1

I'm in need of a "light stick" - some sort of pole or stand that I can mount 3 speedlights to. I'll be using them in HSS and need all 3 to get the most power I can out of them. Obviously I want all 3 heads to be about the same space apart and facing the same way on the same plane. Any links to something that would work? Needs to be portable so that an assistant could hold just out of frame and able to simply stand on it's own if necessary.

Thanks for any ideas or links!
James

www.jamesparkerphoto.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 31, 2012 13:09 |  #2

Here is one inexpensive option: http://www.adorama.com​/FASSC3.html (external link)

There are others if you put "flash bracket" into the Adorama search box.

Keep in mind that the three speedlites in HSS when fired above sync speed will not quite get you back to the flash output from one speedlite at or below sync speed.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

James33
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 31, 2012 13:26 |  #3

dmward wrote in post #14931529 (external link)
Here is one inexpensive option: http://www.adorama.com​/FASSC3.html (external link)

There are others if you put "flash bracket" into the Adorama search box.

Keep in mind that the three speedlites in HSS when fired above sync speed will not quite get you back to the flash output from one speedlite at or below sync speed.

Yep - I know. But I want to shoot wide open in direct sunlight, and I need some fill flash too. I could use a ND filter but would rather not.

Thanks!

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 31, 2012 13:37 |  #4

James33 wrote in post #14931591 (external link)
Yep - I know. But I want to shoot wide open in direct sunlight, and I need some fill flash too. I could use a ND filter but would rather not.

Thanks!

Is the sun hitting the subject? Sun in back acting as rim?

ISO 100, F2.8 means shutter speed approaching 1/6400 based on sunny 16. What lens? distance to subject? and where can the light be placed? Its going to be on a stand right?

There is a post on my blog ( www.dmwfotos.wordpress​.com (external link) ) describing a test I did with subject in shade and background in the sun. If sun is hitting the subject its not much different. This test was with a single speedlite. But probably more controlled situation than your thinking about.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

James33
THREAD ­ STARTER
568 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 31, 2012 14:01 |  #5

70-200 Canon, most likely sun not in the frame at all - think high in the sky with no clouds or in a park with some open shade/trees to help a little. Distance of flash to subject? As close as possible to get the results I need. I'll have to experiment to see what will work best. There may be a time I'd use the sun to rim light someone as well. The 3 flash bracket looks about perfect - use on a stand or having someone hold it on an extension pole. I'll pick one up and give it a shot.

Thanks!

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 31, 2012 15:44 |  #6

http://www.ebay.com …&_armrs=1&_ssn=​nonstopwin (external link)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 31, 2012 16:02 |  #7

Instead of using multiple flashes, you can use stronger studio strobes with a AB Vagabond Mini battery pack and the HSS work around with PW for the same results.

http://www.callumw.com …sync-with-studio-strobes/ (external link)

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 31, 2012 16:14 |  #8

Be carefull when building a 'light stick' that has flashed mounted via the shoe. Bounce the stick around and you might break off a couple of flashes if you or your VAL is not too carefull.

IF you wanted to DIY your own plate. I would recommend a plate shaped like a big H that was wide enough to support 4 units parallel to the floor, then you could mount them closer to the umbrella shaft and/or center all of them up pretty tight.

Here's a unit I put together a while back for a single light. If the "white" plate was expanded to either side of the stand mount, then it could support 2 lights above and below. OR I could put a pair of CP-E4's on there to speed up the recycling, with 2 flashes above.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=802641

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

If you don't want to DIY something together, here's an option for 2 or 4 lights.

http://www.diy-lighting-kits.com/double-flash-bracket/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.diy-lighting-kits.com/wp/wp-content/gallery/doubleflashbracket/dsc_5997.jpg

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 01, 2012 05:11 |  #9

MrScott wrote in post #14932221 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

somehow,
I think modifications like this is irrelevant,
calculate price of 4 speedlights, i.e. 580EXII, $350 x4 units, total $1,400

with $1,400 you already get a nice sets of Einstein with Vagabond Mini Lithium,
enough juice against the sun

we haven't calculate the price of PW to trigger it wirelessly

wrapped 4 speedlights like that doesn't look nice also fragile

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 01, 2012 14:12 |  #10

tongki wrote in post #14934144 (external link)
somehow,

I think answers like yours are irrelevant as the needs of the particular shoot dictate the equipment.

If you need 4 speedlights to do a job, its passed on through your clients so you can meet and exceed expectations. No company wants to hear a project can't be done, or about equipment issues.

How often do you need a fish eye lens? I tend not to use them often at all, that doesn't mean they are irrelevant, and it doesn't mean I won't have to buy one at one point.

Think about client needs, not just "photographer" needs.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 01, 2012 20:27 |  #11

tongki wrote in post #14934144 (external link)
somehow,

with $1,400 you already get a nice sets of Einstein with Vagabond Mini Lithium,
enough juice against the sun

we haven't calculate the price of PW to trigger it wirelessly

wrapped 4 speedlights like that doesn't look nice also fragile

Not irrelevant.
I have two of these. They work well with multiple speedlites, or even just one to center them around the shaft of an umbrella or Apollo, etc.

Sure 4 580EXs or 4 600EX-RTs are expensive compared to a monolight such as an Einstein.
But since I have the speedlites, as well as the Einstein. I have options.
One thing I wanted was something to mount a speelite close to the centerline of an umbrella. This device is prefect. And, with it and some careful positioning its possible to fill an 80" PLM with a single speedlite. And with 2 or 4 you can really light up the subject.

Would an Einstein do just as well, or even better? Sure. The bottomline is I like options.

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 01, 2012 22:48 |  #12

dmward wrote in post #14936294 (external link)
Would an Einstein do just as well, or even better? Sure. The bottomline is I like options.

Try taking large lights up in choppers, remote locations, or areas with super limited spaces... it doesn't happen.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 01, 2012 23:37 |  #13

Stickman wrote in post #14936601 (external link)
Try taking large lights up in choppers, remote locations, or areas with super limited spaces... it doesn't happen.

True enough, although an Einstein is smaller, by just a bit, than 4 speedlites strapped together on the DIY bracket.

More important is the idea that a photographer has tools to satisfy the requirements for the job at hand.

sponsored links

4,274 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need a way to mount multiple speedlights
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.