Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Aug 2012 (Friday) 19:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's the stupidest thing you've ever done?

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 01, 2012 11:10 |  #16

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #14932814 (external link)
So, what's the stupidest thing you've done related to photography?

I take pictures of surfing when I'm on the coast. I grew up in San Diego and am a life-long surfer.

For those of you who have watched surf films, read surfing magazines, and the like, surfers like to see three elements in films and articles:

1. Good surfing

2. Unique destinations

3. Pretty girls in swimwear.

So I did a big photo essay on San Diego and published it on a couple websites.

My wife didn't like the third element of my story, and my protests of "well, it's a part of surf culture" weren't accepted.

She didn't make a big deal of it, but I've known her more than half my life, and I can tell when she's bummed out, so I apologized and promised not to do it again. All she ever said was (while I was in another room), "Wow, your article has some interesting photos." I could tell, from fifty feet away (based on the tone of her voice) what she was talking about. She wasn't talking about the surfing shots or the pictures of the beach, sea anemones, etc.

And now when I'm holding my camera and see a pretty lady in a bikini, I just keep that camera pointed down until she walks away. :)

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,765 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 01, 2012 13:10 |  #17

Decades ago...Rush job shooting coverage of a theater performance, then rushing back to the darkroom. Prepping the chemicals, I put them into a water bath to come to correct temperature for processing. In the dark I load the film into the processing tank. I turn on the lights, grab a bottle of solution and pour it in...and a moment later scream out in anguish as I suddenly realize that I grabbed the wrong bottle and poured in Fixer, ruining the film!!!
Had to drive back, reshoot, then back to the darkroom, hoping to get prints to the printer in time for press!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

daniel1223
289 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2012 13:16 |  #18

Right now.. Just trying to find the stupidest one

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 01, 2012 17:26 |  #19

Myself and a group of friends in high school once set fire to a gravel pit. Not something IN the gravel pit, but the gravel pit itself. One of the experimental fuels went well past the rating of the engine (or what the rating would have been if we had been doing enough engineering to actually rate things like that. We were high school students.) and dumped the whole load of fuel on the ground. Which was burning hot enough that one of the parts of the gravel reached its ignition point, and continued to burn well past what the fuel would have. (A few hours and a massive amount of clinker ash from a slowly spreading fire.)

What does this have to do with photography you ask? Well, we used a set of cheap cameras set to take photos at regular intervals during the launch so we could get a secondary data series on its position by comparing sets of known landmarks from around our launch site. Needless to say we had to build new cameras after that event.

Also learned all about flight regulations from a very large group of men in different uniforms after discovering that the composite plywood skin we had been using for a high performance rocket was apparently very hard to detect on radar, and that the military is not happy to get a pile of fast moving radar hits out of a clear sky at high altitude. (Skin of the rocket didn't play nice with radar, but the metal parts left over after it explodes? Yep, those apparently made VERY good targets on radar.) It was post soviet era, but not by much.

We were very politely told to stop launching rockets that high, and so promptly started launching heavier and heavier payloads to keep under the ceiling. Then started launching them on sleds into the side of a hill after we goofed on thrust estimates on the same test we forgot the dummy weight payload. (And thereby REALLY broke the ceiling again. Few people were impressed.)

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,765 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 01, 2012 18:32 |  #20

Luckless wrote in post #14935905 (external link)
We were very politely told to stop launching rockets that high

"Stop launching those rockets so high. We can't get ours to work successfully that high, so you are making us look bad!" :lol:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CubsAngel
214 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 01, 2012 18:40 |  #21

Stupidest thing I've done, hm, that would have to be not wearing my camera strap while around a rambunctious labrador puppy. And I knew she was bonkers but I didn't wear it anyways, and my camera met a concrete garage floor lens first. Luckily, it was just the lens that suffered some damage (appears to be minor, it operates, but the end glass is pushed in on one side). The camera is fine!

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 01, 2012 18:45 |  #22

No, it was more of "Wait, you're doing it for how much money?"

But really, we had some serious reliablity issues. But more than 75% made it off the pad. Well, technically around 99% made it off the pad, just not always in the direction intended, and often in more than one direction at a time.

Frankly, it was the handful that Didn't do anything when we hit the big red button that scared us the most.

But thinking more about it, I think the stupidest thing in all that is that all the other guys went into engineering, while I got lured off into game development.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 02, 2012 08:42 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #23

Selling my Sinar P2 with Schneider glass and a heap of Grafmatic backs.

I'm itching to get back into 4x5 black and white photography again.

Jurgen
50D~EOS M50 MkII~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 02, 2012 09:03 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #24

this

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …/m150/Echo63/33​a8ed91.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

yea, thats a 1dmk4/sigma10-20mm, 2 magic arms, 2x 241 pump cups, somewhere between 9 and 12 safety cables - all attached to a mitsubishi EvoX rally car

the pic worked out great though - a pic of local rally driver Tom Wilde sliding the Evo through the forest at a bit over 100mph

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …/m150/Echo63/98​166b22.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

it would have really sucked if something went wrong though

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Mjolnir
175 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 02, 2012 09:30 |  #25

Awesome shot!

Mine:

Not making sure that my backpack was closed when i picked it up... 7d with 300mm f/2.8 hit the ground hard....

No damage whatsoever however.

Besides me needing a change of underwear and having to say 1000 hail mary's to make up for the swearwords. :|

www.toeterphotography.​blogspot.com (external link)
Flickr. (external link)
365 project. (external link)
Eos 7D, 300mm F/2.8 L IS, 100-400L, 24-105L, 70-200L II IS USM, Sigma 150mm OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 60mm Macro, Canon 50mm F/1.8.

tbsguy18
230 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 02, 2012 09:39 |  #26

About 2 weeks ago I was outside with my daughter and she was doing all these dance/ballet/gymnastic​s routines. She's 4, and it was pretty freaking adorable. I decided to record a video of her, and setup up my 60D on my tripod on my porch. After about 5 minutes she wanted me to come down in the yard and dance with her. It started to get pretty windy, but I didn't think anything of it...until a few minutes later I heard a nice crash. I looked back at the porch and the wind had blown the patio table umbrella over, which knocked the table over, which knocked my camera (tripod and all) over the railing of the porch. A good 7 foot drop onto the cement below. The lens was miraculously fine, but the camera...it pretty much cracked right in 2 and no longer turns on. It hit just the right spot.

Gripped Canon 60D 50 f/1.8---17-50 f/2.8---70-200 f/4 L

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 02, 2012 10:58 |  #27

Not really the stupidest thing, but something that took me rather long to figure out. This summer was the first time I used a 10-Stop ND on my 5D2 for some long exposures. Couple of shots in everything was going great. However when reviewing the shots on my computer I would notice a very light section or square on the image. Initially I thought it may have been caused by using a CPL and ND together and because of the changing lighting conditions, the polarizer was messing up the image. Later on I would get the same phenomenon but this time with no CPL. Anyway, ends up that for the long exposures I was doing, I did not block the view finder and light was getting in and messing up the exposure! Live and learn :p

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,351 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 02, 2012 13:21 |  #28

Something I do a lot...

Whenever I'm shooting indoors I like to pump up that ISO pretty high. I had it at 6400 once. Well the next time I used the camera (about 2 weeks later) was outside. I couldn't understand why I was getting 1/4000 - 1/8000 shutter speeds on my shots. I think I took about 30 or so shots until I realized what I needed to do. Oops!

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 02, 2012 16:56 |  #29

Married my ex-wife. Oh, wait.....you meant photography related, right?

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 02, 2012 17:03 |  #30

CameraMan wrote in post #14938418 (external link)
Something I do a lot...

Whenever I'm shooting indoors I like to pump up that ISO pretty high. I had it at 6400 once. Well the next time I used the camera (about 2 weeks later) was outside. I couldn't understand why I was getting 1/4000 - 1/8000 shutter speeds on my shots. I think I took about 30 or so shots until I realized what I needed to do. Oops!

Oh, reminds me of a few weeks ago. Went somewhere with a friend to do some event photography for them, and one of the first things I do when I get there was pull the camera out, take the lens cap off to double check the lens was clean and do a bit of quick metering to see what kind of light I had.

Set the camera down on a table and turned my back on it to fiddle with other gear. Unknown to me, my friend spots my camera with the lens cap off and notices I'm busy doing something else. Friend walks up behind and is 'helpful' in putting the lens cap back on for me.

After finishing what I was doing I take up the camera again and start walking around to meter all the different light areas as I'm still fiddling and learning to shoot manual. I had been getting reasonable numbers in my first quick check, region of ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/60th seemed fine with the 28mm. Press the back button for a quick check without looking through view finder... Major under exposure in something that looked like average lighting. Open up the aperture, bump ISO to 400, try again. Still under exposed. Bump time, and open up to the last of it with 1.8... Still major under exposure. No idea what is going on, I'm still wandering around the area as people are setting up fiddling with settings, and things start jumping at random.

Eventually I finally look through the view finder, figure the lens cap was on, and solved all my problems. Well, besides those related to me being a lackluster photographer on my best of days. Apparently I was getting a nice bit of light leak back through the view finder to really confuse the meter without the bulk of the light coming through as it normally should.

sponsored links

15,434 views & 4 likes for this thread
What's the stupidest thing you've ever done?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.