Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 31 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 21:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Official Shoot the Moon Thread

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,541 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 31, 2012 21:50 |  #1051

keith breazeal wrote in post #14933020 (external link)
Yes... Best resolution & contrast is the day before so there is just enough crater shadowing to provide some depth. If you take off the blue filter for viewing the moon, it looks like every other full moon. :)

Do you have the regular Moon filter ? It makes it much easier to see the moon . Blue filter is very pleasing but it's best used on Jupiter .

sponsored links
regatta
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 31, 2012 22:23 |  #1052

Blue Moon August 31st 2012 at 11pm

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1096.photobuck​et.com …andsandy/bluemo​on1of1.jpg (external link)

Sam
7D and saving for 600mm

mfingar
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 31, 2012 22:32 as a reply to  @ regatta's post |  #1053

1200mm, no crop. (7D, 600 f4, 2xII)

IMAGE: http://www.markfingar.com/photogallery/Moon_8_31_12-lr.jpg

www.markfingar.com (external link)

mfingar
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 31, 2012 22:37 as a reply to  @ mfingar's post |  #1054

Crop of above

IMAGE: http://www.markfingar.com/photogallery/Moon_8_31_12-lr_crop.jpg

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,541 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 01, 2012 08:28 |  #1055

mfingar wrote in post #14933377 (external link)
1200mm, no crop. (7D, 600 f4, 2xII)
QUOTED IMAGE

Very nice image . However the 7D is a 1.6x crop camera so that gives you 1920mm .
600mm X 1.6 crop x 2xII = 1920mm or 600mm x 2xII x 1.6 crop =1920mm . Reguardless how you figure this is what you get mm figures . FF starts with the 5DII . Anything before that is a 1.6x crop (APS-C size) camera .

Gr8Fan
54 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 01, 2012 09:29 as a reply to  @ Celestron's post |  #1056

First time shooting the Moon, Canon XS at 250mm(400mm) crop.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/7906464332_a97cd3721c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/68573642@N04/7​906464332/  (external link)
IMG_8662 (external link) by Gr8Fan (external link), on Flickr

1000d gripped, 18-55, 55-250, 50 1.4, 430ex ii

mndoci
277 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 01, 2012 15:13 |  #1057

A few handheld shots with the 70-200mm from my deck

IMAGE: http://photos.deepaksingh.net/Landscapes/Blue-Moon-August-31-2012/i-RBKKG82/0/L/Blue-Moon-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://photos.deepaksi​ngh.net …425356&k=RBKKG8​2&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

and behind some clouds

IMAGE: http://photos.deepaksingh.net/Landscapes/Blue-Moon-August-31-2012/i-mVFS9vn/0/L/Blue-Moon-behind-the-clouds-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://photos.deepaksi​ngh.net …425263&k=mVFS9v​n&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

Smugmug (external link) | 500px (external link)
7D, 450D, Way too much gear (external link)

ohata0
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 01, 2012 15:59 |  #1058

Celestron wrote in post #14934462 (external link)
Very nice image . However the 7D is a 1.6x crop camera so that gives you 1920mm .
600mm X 1.6 crop x 2xII = 1920mm or 600mm x 2xII x 1.6 crop =1920mm . Reguardless how you figure this is what you get mm figures . FF starts with the 5DII . Anything before that is a 1.6x crop (APS-C size) camera .

The 7D, and other crop cameras (1.6x, 1.3x, etc) do not change the focal length. I understand what you're trying to get at though...if you want to fill the frame similarly with a FF camera, then you'd need 1920mm. It's a "FF equivalent" focal length.

If you were to crop the borders of a FF image to the size of a 1.6 crop sensor the image would be the same as the crop's(smaller resolution, but otherwise the same using the same setup (lens, settings, position, etc)). Since cropping a FF image can get you the same image of a 1.6x crop camera, does that mean the focal length changes when you crop? See? It doesn't right?

Sorry, I just wanted to clarify that.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,541 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 01, 2012 19:00 |  #1059

ohata0 wrote in post #14935694 (external link)
The 7D, and other crop cameras (1.6x, 1.3x, etc) do not change the focal length. I understand what you're trying to get at though...if you want to fill the frame similarly with a FF camera, then you'd need 1920mm. It's a "FF equivalent" focal length.

If you were to crop the borders of a FF image to the size of a 1.6 crop sensor the image would be the same as the crop's(smaller resolution, but otherwise the same using the same setup (lens, settings, position, etc)). Since cropping a FF image can get you the same image of a 1.6x crop camera, does that mean the focal length changes when you crop? See? It doesn't right?

Sorry, I just wanted to clarify that.

Your camera is a 1.6x crop , not a FullFrame (FF) . That means whatever lens combination you put on your camera you have to multiply by 1.6 to get the correct frame size for your camera . IF your camera was a FullFrame camera there would be no crop factor so that means your original figure would be correct . Read this and you will understand better what i'm talking about :

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/canon/1-6x.htm (external link)

ohata0
557 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 01, 2012 23:55 |  #1060

Celestron wrote in post #14936089 (external link)
Your camera is a 1.6x crop , not a FullFrame (FF) . That means whatever lens combination you put on your camera you have to multiply by 1.6 to get the correct frame size for your camera . IF your camera was a FullFrame camera there would be no crop factor so that means your original figure would be correct . Read this and you will understand better what i'm talking about :

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/canon/1-6x.htm (external link)

Yes, I understand that. I'm just saying that it (crop factor) doesn't actually change the focal length of the lens/extender combo you are using. That new focal length you're talking about is what you'd need on a FF camera to fill the frame with the moon without cropping. The focal length doesn't change just because you're using a crop camera.

Technically, you don't "need" to multiply the crop factor if you don't want to. The only reason you would use the crop factor is if you wanted to find out what lens to use on a FF camera (or if you need to convert it to a different crop sensor size) to achieve the same FOV. If you don't have any FF cameras (or any other cameras with different sensor sizes), then that crop factor is meaningless (for you).

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,541 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 02, 2012 12:25 |  #1061

ohata0 wrote in post #14936745 (external link)
Yes, I understand that. I'm just saying that it (crop factor) doesn't actually change the focal length of the lens/extender combo you are using. That new focal length you're talking about is what you'd need on a FF camera to fill the frame with the moon without cropping. The focal length doesn't change just because you're using a crop camera.

Technically, you don't "need" to multiply the crop factor if you don't want to. The only reason you would use the crop factor is if you wanted to find out what lens to use on a FF camera (or if you need to convert it to a different crop sensor size) to achieve the same FOV. If you don't have any FF cameras (or any other cameras with different sensor sizes), then that crop factor is meaningless (for you).

You know everyone knows it does not change the physically mechanics of the lens and extender mechanically on the focal length . All accessories are preset and you can not change it . BUT when you attach it to a camera , IF it IS a crop camera to give correct measurements technically you have to multiply the factor of what your camera is to the lens and extenders FL in order to project the correct FL for the image taken . I know exactly what you are sayin and by all means if you do not want to multiply the factor you do not have to but if you do not then since everyone knows it is a crop camera they will know you are not giving correct FL figures for your 7D and it looks like your denying it's a crop camera when in fact it is and there is nothing you can do to prove otherwise . It just shows you don't agree with the crop factor of any camera . Here is another link you can check out and you can search many on the web . Maybe when you find a link backing up your statement then by all means please post it here . Til then i have no other words to say , i'll just keep my thoughts to myself .

http://www.the-digital-picture.com …-of-View-Crop-Factor.aspx (external link)

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 02, 2012 13:04 |  #1062

In case you missed it... last night was a "Blue Moon"... I took this with my tripod mounted Canon 5D MkIII and Canon 70-200 f/4L IS lens at 200mm f/8 1/30 ISO100. I also used a wireless remote to activate the shutter.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

baj2k
724 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 02, 2012 13:29 |  #1063

ohata0 wrote in post #14936745 (external link)

At the risk of oversimplifying and/or stating the obvious: I think the point they're trying to make is the size of the object photographed will appear bigger on a "crop" camera vs FF when the lenses FL are equal. So if you use an 85mm lens to shoot a picture of a man's head, and he's standing 20' away from you, on a FF his head will take up 25% of the image. If you used a "crop" camera and the same 85mm lens and took the same picture his head would take up 40% of the image giving the appearance (illusion) that you used a longer FL lens. So, in order to get a similar image on a FF camera you'd need to use about a 135mm lens to make your picture look relatively equivalent to the one you took on a "crop" using an 85mm lens. So yes, technically the "crop" camera does not change the FL but the resulting picture it produces gives the impression that it does. In order to discuss photo's and how to replicate them across different formats you need to use the crop factor to help determine what lens you'd need to use to produce an equivalent image.

mfingar
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 02, 2012 13:37 as a reply to  @ baj2k's post |  #1064

Why don't you guys continue your sensor-sized discussion in here...

Digitally_Altered
Goldmember
1,321 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 02, 2012 14:52 |  #1065

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/7916058430_b4eca5a3a4.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/54932685@N06/7​916058430/  (external link)
OF0C5219.jpg (external link) by Bruce Davis Photos (external link), on Flickrhere's my "last Blue Moon till 2015"

5D mkIV, 2x)7D mkII, 500 f4L IS mkII, 100-400L IS mkII, 70-200 2.8L IS mkII, 24-70 2.8L mkII, 16-35 2.8L mkIII, 100 2.8L IS, 600EX-RT x4

sponsored links

1,517,508 views & 5,984 likes for this thread
The Official Shoot the Moon Thread
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.