Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 29 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Richard Atkin Photography - illegal image use

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 31, 2012 18:12 |  #31

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #14928806 (external link)
Funnily enough it looks like Richard Atkin Photographer has pulled down the FB page in question. Never mind though as Google has indexed this thread.

PS razyl you may want to correct your original post to reflect the correct spelling of his name i.e. lose the "s" if you want to ensure that Google will bring up this thread whenever the name is searched for in the future.

Yes sorry that was a bad mistake - can the mods fix this please?!

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sponsored links
smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2012 12:33 |  #32

How'd you figure out he was stealing your images? He doesn't look to have a very well set up operation!

razyl wrote in post #14924783 (external link)
Oops bad google search. Now updated and apologies to Richard Atkinson.

oh dear.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 01, 2012 13:22 as a reply to  @ smorter's post |  #33

This could also be something else.....

A lot of people have no clue about the Internet so they hire outside help to build there site. I could hire some one in the USA to make my site and pay $1000+ OR I could hire some on in Thailand or India or any other 3rd World countrie any pay $100-200 for the same work.

You provide them with a discretion the text and layout of your site they go to work. Now say instead of usei g stock photos like you asked they use other people's images because they were free.

Now if I was this photographer when I found out what had happend I would start pulling images right away. Now if all of a sudden I had a bunch of photographer speaking my Facebook account I would disable that as well.

Not saying this is the case but it has happened many many many times.

Now of course if this is the case and in the country he had build his website the copywriter laws of the western world don't exists OR a mistake was made in say the name of the photographer posted or facts were misrepresented people could be open to a lawsuit for Defamation or slander Wikipedia (external link)

This post is for information only as all to often it seems people jump on a one wheeled wagon.

View My Flickr (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2012 13:25 |  #34

LONDON808 wrote in post #14935287 (external link)

A lot of people have no clue about the Internet so they hire outside help to build there site. I could hire some one in the USA to make my site and pay $1000+ OR I could hire some on in Thailand or India or any other 3rd World countrie any pay $100-200 for the same work.

You provide them with a discretion the text and layout of your site they go to work. Now say instead of usei g stock photos like you asked they use other people's images because they were free.

Now if I was this photographer when I found out what had happend I would start pulling images right away. Now if all of a sudden I had a bunch of photographer speaking my Facebook account I would disable that as well.

Now of course if this is the case and in the country he had build his website the copywriter laws of the western world don't exists OR a mistake was made in say the name of the photographer posted or facts were misrepresented people could be open to a lawsuit for Defamation or slander Wikipedia (external link)

This post is for information only as all to often it seems people jump on a one wheeled wagon.

That's a fair point, but I think anytime a photographer uses a photo on his/her site that was not taken by him/her (even stock photography), there's dishonesty involved (unless discosure is made over them not being the photographer), so I don't think that is a valid excuse

What I don't understand is how the OP figured this out? Not sure how Richard Atkin is high enough on people's search lists to faciliate the discovery of this fraud....

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 01, 2012 14:08 |  #35

smorter wrote in post #14935154 (external link)
How'd you figure out he was stealing your images? He doesn't look to have a very well set up operation!

I assume he used Google Images or something similar.

http://www.google.com …images/searchby​image.html (external link)

Joel

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 01, 2012 14:12 |  #36

smorter wrote in post #14935299 (external link)
That's a fair point, but I think anytime a photographer uses a photo on his/her site that was not taken by him/her (even stock photography), there's dishonesty involved (unless discosure is made over them not being the photographer), so I don't think that is a valid excuse

What I don't understand is how the OP figured this out? Not sure how Richard Atkin is high enough on people's search lists to faciliate the discovery of this fraud....

This is my thought. If I hired someone to make my website, as a photographer if I saw images that were not mine I would have them fix it right away. Who could think that was ok?

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 01, 2012 15:06 |  #37

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14935443 (external link)
I assume he used Google Images or something similar.

http://www.google.com …images/searchby​image.html (external link)

Thats how i found the other photographers image, which is still on his site. His FB page is back up with no content and it's no longer taking comments.:(

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 01, 2012 16:48 |  #38

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #14935458 (external link)
This is my thought. If I hired someone to make my website, as a photographer if I saw images that were not mine I would have them fix it right away. Who could think that was ok?

A lot No MOST people have no clue how the Internet works, most websites are made for people and the conversation goes like this

Photographr - How much to make me a photography website

Designer - About $500

P - Ok can you do that, I want my adress to be www.mynamehere.com (external link)

D- is there anything special you want

P - just make is like this Www.someotherprophotog​rapher.com (external link)

D - Ok send me money now

View My Flickr (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 01, 2012 17:24 |  #39

LONDON808 wrote in post #14935799 (external link)
A lot No MOST people have no clue how the Internet works, most websites are made for people and the conversation goes like this

Photographr - How much to make me a photography website

Designer - About $500

P - Ok can you do that, I want my adress to be www.mynamehere.com (external link)

D- is there anything special you want

P - just make is like this Www.someotherprophotog​rapher.com (external link)

D - Ok send me money now

Lets not be kind to the guy:
The website is self built from Vistaprint (external link) - which is as cheap and nasty a template affair as you can imagine.

And the original stolen images were on Facebook, now a newbie photographer isn't hiring a web designer to create his FB presence.:rolleyes:

Gear List

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 01, 2012 19:48 |  #40

Phil V wrote in post #14935902 (external link)
And the original stolen images were on Facebook, now a newbie photographer isn't hiring a web designer to create his FB presence.:rolleyes:

His "web designer" is then commenting on the images too? :rolleyes:

Sorry but theft is theft... and hey, even if you did hire a cheap ass web designer who then stole images from around the net... you'd say something afterwards to them and get them removed.

Commit the crime... do the time... if you steal another photographer's photos and pass them off as your own be prepared to feel the pain.

Peter

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 02, 2012 01:37 |  #41

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #14936211 (external link)
His "web designer" is then commenting on the images too? :rolleyes:

Sorry but theft is theft... and hey, even if you did hire a cheap ass web designer who then stole images from around the net... you'd say something afterwards to them and get them removed.

Commit the crime... do the time... if you steal another photographer's photos and pass them off as your own be prepared to feel the pain.

I think you completely misinterpreted what I wrote.

Someone suggested that the thief could have been at the mercy of a naive web designer:rolleyes:

I was pointing out that the thief was using a cheap and nasty web hosting package/template system and that the stolen images were on FB, it's beyond unlikely that this would have been done by anyone other than the photographer himself.

This from his website is the icing on the cake:
I would welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and deliver you the best service in the industry.

Gear List

aCanonBrujo
26 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 02, 2012 02:50 |  #42

razyl wrote in post #14923138 (external link)
Just a quick post to let everyone know Richard Atkins Photography was using my work as his own on his facebook page. If I was looking for a wedding photographer in the North Yorkshire area - well, I wouldnt use Richard.

I found a photo of mine on his facebook page that he was claiming as his own. What a fraud!

http://www.richardatki​n.co.uk/ (external link)

http://www.mckayphotog​raphy.com.au/photos/At​kin2.jpg (external link)

http://www.mckayphotog​raphy.com.au/photos/At​kin3.jpg (external link)

All the photos from this wedding can be seen here: http://blog.mckayphoto​graphy.com.au …e-house-slyvannia-waters/ (external link)

In reply to...Whats great is that if I Google Richard Atkins Photography, I get this post before his website...I found a photo of mine on his facebook page that he was claiming as his own. What a fraud!

Wow, how insane! It reminds me of my cat photo I found was being used on a lesbian website, thanks to Flickr indexing! I have nothing against any persons self interests, however, my photo was on this blog/ site, and within it, it had some very shocking links! I don't think my eye's will ever forgive me! I am glad my children weren't around, and I am glad my wife understood my anger, and concern, however, she didn't really get why I even cared! It is MY photograph, not theirs!

aCanonBrujo
26 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 02, 2012 02:55 |  #43

I found a photo of mine on his facebook page that he was claiming as his own. What a fraud!Google Richard Atkins Photography, I get this post before his website...I found a photo of mine on his facebook page that he was claiming as his own. What a fraud!

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 02, 2012 03:04 |  #44

LONDON808 wrote in post #14935287 (external link)

True but in this case the way he was talking about the shot strongly implied ownership.

I heard of another photographer who got caught using someone else's images and claimed his site had been hacked and the images uploaded.....I guess all those kind of excuses could be true but it's hard to not conclude that this kind of image use is intentional & illegal.

And I would say it's up to the photographer to be sure any stock shots are legit.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 02, 2012 03:15 |  #45

Interesting to see he has the same (read WORD FOR WORD) philosophy as http://www.melbournepr​ofessionalphotographic​s.com.au/ (external link) Guess Australia is fair game to source material!

My desire is for each photograph to reveal a story. It needs to “speak words”, to invoke and inspire the audiences senses

A little more Aussie influence on his wedding page script from http://spikeyhedgehog.​com.au/wedding-photography-melbourne (external link)

You're getting married! Your head is spinning, your heart is pounding and you slowly become aware of all the things you need to do for your special day to happen. I can take care of your photography needs. Taking a special, dedicated and individual approach to your wedding day you can be confident that the memories of your wedding day and all of its little details will be beautifully captured for you to treasure forever.

From capturing the Bride getting ready, right through to the fun and festivities of the reception I have the experience and attention to detail that is needed for you to have the memories to reflect on for years to come.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

sponsored links

22,217 views & 0 likes for this thread
Richard Atkin Photography - illegal image use
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.