Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 16th UK South-East "The Cooper Crawley Creche" Thread (All Welcome)

this thread is locked
LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 01, 2012 16:32 |  #1381

Ronin Silv wrote in post #14934982 (external link)
I wouldn't say unsung heroes Linda the first British airborne operation of the war under the command of then Major John Frost and the 1953 film " The Red Beret " was based on this and other early airborne raids. Brave men non the less who all potential airborne forces are taught about during training.

Oh thanks for that, I didnt realise that film was partly based on that. Many times I said to him that he should have his stories put down on paper but he didnt like talking about it much until much later in his life. Im not sure which Commando unit he was in but I think my brother knows.

After being injured during one of the raids, he then served in the REME working on Sherman tanks (and other things of course).

There cant be many survivors left now I wouldnt have thought.

Linda

http://lindabuckell.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dragonwings55/ (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II and Canon 7D |40D |G12 | 350d (300D long gone)
400 F5.6L|70-200 F4L IS|24-105 F4L[COLOR=black] IS|18-55
Macro: 100mm F2.8L IS|100mm| F2.8 |60mm F2.8.

sponsored links
LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 01, 2012 16:44 |  #1382

Pete wrote in post #14935738 (external link)
Back home again, seems like ages since I left, the whole time has been a whirlwind. Total mileage has been over 2700 miles.

Ok, so places I've been:-

* Grasmere
* Easdale Tarn (walk up there almost killed me)
* Buttermere
* Coniston Water
* Castlerigg stone circle
* Sizeburgh Castle (gardens only since the castle was closed)
* Kirkstone Pass
* The Jumble Room
* Lindisfarne
* Cragside
* Hadrian's Wall omitted due to torrential rain
* Culross
* Glamis Castle
* Glen Lyon
* Ben Lawers
* Glen Quaich (most beautiful pass in the Cairngorms, except when it's in torrential rain)
* Aberfeldy
* Dalwhinnie
* Boat of Garten
* Western Highlands roads (every one's a winner)
* Oban
* Mull
* Iona
* Seil (entered via the Bridge over the Atlantic)
* Largs

Might have been some other places that I've forgotten, I was pretty busy...!

Sounds fabulous. I have been to most of the Western Highlands places you visited and many more - Seil is one strange place. Does the boat trip still go from there?

All around Oban is wonderful but do make a trip again some time in the future but going much further up. It is out of this world further up - the scenery takes your breath away.

Each time we went we flew up and hired a car because of the time it takes in the car we felt we lost a day either end of the holiday in travelling and as you know, there are so many fabulous places to see, you have to cram in as much scenery as you can lol.

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2012 16:59 |  #1383

LindaB wrote in post #14935789 (external link)
Sounds fabulous. I have been to most of the Western Highlands places you visited and many more - Seil is one strange place. Does the boat trip still go from there?

All around Oban is wonderful but do make a trip again some time in the future but going much further up. It is out of this world further up - the scenery takes your breath away.

Each time we went we flew up and hired a car because of the time it takes in the car we felt we lost a day either end of the holiday in travelling and as you know, there are so many fabulous places to see, you have to cram in as much scenery as you can lol.

Yes, Seil is a bit odd, and the small boat ferry still goes off to Easdale. I went there primarily to see the Bridge over the Atlantic and eat at the Tigh-an-Truish pub that was recommended to me (well founded, there's good grub there). In history (when the Scots were forbidden to wear kilts), the islanders used to wear kilts on the island but change into the obligatory trews in the pub before going to the mainland.

And you're right, the scenery on the west side literally does make your heart skip beats to see it. I definitely plan on spending future holidays up there and exploring more of the Islands. I really didn't want to come home.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Pete
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2012 17:27 |  #1384

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8311/7909252750_db5236877b_b.jpg

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 02, 2012 02:36 |  #1385

LindaB wrote in post #14935762 (external link)
Oh thanks for that, I didnt realise that film was partly based on that. Many times I said to him that he should have his stories put down on paper but he didnt like talking about it much until much later in his life. Im not sure which Commando unit he was in but I think my brother knows.

After being injured during one of the raids, he then served in the REME working on Sherman tanks (and other things of course).

There cant be many survivors left now I wouldnt have thought.

Linda

Opp Biting was conducted by C Company 2 Para and as airborne forces at the time were not directly recruited he would of joined the Army with another regiment then volunteered for parachute training. After Bruneval " Para went on to take part in Operation Torch the invasion of Algeria and Morocco and the push into Tunisia during which 2 Para found themselves 50 miles behind the lines after the German's stopped the Allied advance and reached Allied lines after an epic 2 day march under continual attack from aircraft, tanks and infantry with the loss of three quarters of their original strength. It was during Op Torch that the Germans named the Parachute Regiment the Red Devils.

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 02, 2012 03:11 |  #1386

Morning all.

Quick question. I'm just working on a Zenfolio site and I'd be interested to know what size of files people load up on their sites. The aim is ultimately to sell some images and so I guess there needs to be high res image on there? What do you class as "high res"?

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Klystron
Goldmember
2,932 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 02, 2012 03:28 |  #1387

Jonathan wrote in post #14937046 (external link)
Morning all.

Quick question. I'm just working on a Zenfolio site and I'd be interested to know what size of files people load up on their sites. The aim is ultimately to sell some images and so I guess there needs to be high res image on there? What do you class as "high res"?

Jonathan , what I do is upload 2800px on the long side, to limit the size of the files, as I can upload 80+ at a go and the upload speed is only 300kbps !
These are good enough for most of the smaller prints, then if someone orders a A4 or bigger then I up load a bigger file size to be sent for processing.
Also if they buy a down load they dont get the full size.

Sony A9 ii, A9, A7R II, A5000, RX100 va
zenfolio (external link) - flickr (external link) - 500px (external link)

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 02, 2012 04:35 |  #1388

Ronin Silv wrote in post #14937011 (external link)
Opp Biting was conducted by C Company 2 Para and as airborne forces at the time were not directly recruited he would of joined the Army with another regiment then volunteered for parachute training. After Bruneval " Para went on to take part in Operation Torch the invasion of Algeria and Morocco and the push into Tunisia during which 2 Para found themselves 50 miles behind the lines after the German's stopped the Allied advance and reached Allied lines after an epic 2 day march under continual attack from aircraft, tanks and infantry with the loss of three quarters of their original strength. It was during Op Torch that the Germans named the Parachute Regiment the Red Devils.

Thanks for the further info, its more enlightening. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain :D

Linda

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 02, 2012 04:36 |  #1389

Pete wrote in post #14935909 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

LOL - oooh thats a fine set of horns.

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 02, 2012 11:18 |  #1390

LindaB wrote in post #14937166 (external link)
Thanks for the further info, its more enlightening. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain :D

Linda

No problem Linda, I don't know how much more you'd like to know but 2 Para went to to take part in Operation Fustian. This was an airborne assault to seize and hold the Primosole Bridge over the River Simeto, south of Mount Etna on Sicily, and hold until relieved by ground forces. Those that survived the flight landed on the same drop zone chosen by the 1st Fallschirmjager Division ( German airborne forces ) which had landed moments before the British aircraft appeared. The two forces engaged in a bitter fight, and the Paras failed to secure the landing ground for the following glider force carrying their artillery and heavy equipment. Those gliders that did land were not unloaded before the bridge was captured at 04:40. Later that day, the Germans counter-attacked with artillery support and, within hours, the Paras were driven off the bridge.
2 Para Next took part in Operation Market Garden where they were the only unit to reach the famous bridge to far at Arnhem, they were commanded by the now Col. John Frost who had commanded C Company at Bruneval, they held out for five days without reinforcement before resistance on the bridge ceased.
I don't know how long your father served with the Paras but I have given a short war time history for 2 Para here you should be proud of him Montgomery said of the Parachute Regiment " Every man an emperor ".

Film gear Rollecord V, Yashica A, Halina 35X, Olympus Trip and Canon EOS 5, 500 and 300v
Stusio Visage Facebook (external link) flickr (external link) studiovisage.co.uk (external link)

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 02, 2012 12:04 |  #1391

Ronin Silv wrote in post #14938022 (external link)
No problem Linda, I don't know how much more you'd like to know but 2 Para went to to take part in Operation Fustian. This was an airborne assault to seize and hold the Primosole Bridge over the River Simeto, south of Mount Etna on Sicily, and hold until relieved by ground forces. Those that survived the flight landed on the same drop zone chosen by the 1st Fallschirmjager Division ( German airborne forces ) which had landed moments before the British aircraft appeared. The two forces engaged in a bitter fight, and the Paras failed to secure the landing ground for the following glider force carrying their artillery and heavy equipment. Those gliders that did land were not unloaded before the bridge was captured at 04:40. Later that day, the Germans counter-attacked with artillery support and, within hours, the Paras were driven off the bridge.
2 Para Next took part in Operation Market Garden where they were the only unit to reach the famous bridge to far at Arnhem, they were commanded by the now Col. John Frost who had commanded C Company at Bruneval, they held out for five days without reinforcement before resistance on the bridge ceased.
I don't know how long your father served with the Paras but I have given a short war time history for 2 Para here you should be proud of him Montgomery said of the Parachute Regiment " Every man an emperor ".

Many thanks :D I really dont know how involved he was in other operations and what I do know is limited. As far as I knew he was in what is referred to as the Commandos rather than the Paras and during one incident in particular he saw a load of his friends blown up in the boat next to him - maybe they were a section from landing crew? I dont know if my terminology is correct, but each and every one of them were very brave indeed.

Ronin ­ Silv
Goldmember
4,904 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 02, 2012 12:18 |  #1392

LindaB wrote in post #14938173 (external link)
Many thanks :D I really dont know how involved he was in other operations and what I do know is limited. As far as I knew he was in what is referred to as the Commandos rather than the Paras and during one incident in particular he saw a load of his friends blown up in the boat next to him - maybe they were a section from landing crew? I dont know if my terminology is correct, but each and every one of them were very brave indeed.

From that information Linda I would say he was in one of the Army Comandos but I don't know if any were aboard the landing craft who extracted the paras or not as landing craft were controlled as they are now by the Royal Navy but that doesn't mean Army Comandos weren't aboard.

Layyz
901 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 02, 2012 12:49 |  #1393

Are there any obvious restrictions for the Olympic stadium with regard to cameras and number of lens's that I can take it. I was planning on taking 100-400, 17-40, 12-24. I know they are all under 30cm when on body.

My Flickr (external link)

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 02, 2012 13:55 as a reply to  @ Layyz's post |  #1394

Penel some lovely looking natural pictures I hope they are pleased with them

Pete wrote in post #14935738 (external link)
Back home again, seems like ages since I left, the whole time has been a whirlwind. Total mileage has been over 2700 miles.

Ok, so places I've been:-

* Grasmere
* Easdale Tarn (walk up there almost killed me)
* Buttermere
* Coniston Water
* Castlerigg stone circle
* Sizeburgh Castle (gardens only since the castle was closed)
* Kirkstone Pass
* The Jumble Room
* Lindisfarne
* Cragside
* Hadrian's Wall omitted due to torrential rain
* Culross
* Glamis Castle
* Glen Lyon
* Ben Lawers
* Glen Quaich (most beautiful pass in the Cairngorms, except when it's in torrential rain)
* Aberfeldy
* Dalwhinnie
* Boat of Garten
* Western Highlands roads (every one's a winner)
* Oban
* Mull
* Iona
* Glenfinnan
* Seil (entered via the Bridge over the Atlantic)
* Largs

Might have been some other places that I've forgotten, I was pretty busy...!

You certainly fitted a lot in. One thing that has always put me off Scotland is the mosquitos, did you have any problems?

Pete wrote in post #14935909 (external link)

Very nice......sums up the weather you had perfectly

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

Pete
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 02, 2012 14:06 |  #1395

adrian5127 wrote in post #14938544 (external link)
You certainly fitted a lot in. One thing that has always put me off Scotland is the mosquitos, did you have any problems?

Yes, I had a huge amount to cover, but managed to find a fair time to relax for a while as well. Didn't really have much of a problem with mosquitos - have a few nips but nothing too bad. I guess my manly odour repelled them.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

sponsored links

980,084 views & 2 likes for this thread
The 16th UK South-East "The Cooper Crawley Creche" Thread (All Welcome)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.