Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 29 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 16:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Richard Atkin Photography - illegal image use

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 02, 2012 21:02 |  #61

razyl wrote in post #14939724 (external link)
Just used the link above someone posted: http://www.google.com …images/searchby​image.html (external link)

You upload a photo and it churns out the results. I'm sure it's not 100% and there's no way I could check all the images I have online but at least you can do your most used or popular ones.

And try copyscape for checking text - I've found a bunch of websites using my copy as their own.

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sponsored links
Justaddwata
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 03, 2012 02:07 |  #62

I have contacted the sites who have had their text plagiarized. I also contacted http://www.studioimpre​ssions.com.au (external link) who appear to own the dress image on his wedding page.
Could not find any other info on the other images that do not appear to fit with "his" style.

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 03, 2012 02:32 |  #63

I'm not in any way condoning this, but I really don't think using POTN to out this person or worse, completely try and convict someone such as this.

I hate to see what these types of posts would do to this place, as they increase here.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 03, 2012 04:47 |  #64

Todd Lambert wrote in post #14940793 (external link)
I'm not in any way condoning this, but I really don't think using POTN to out this person or worse, completely try and convict someone such as this.

I hate to see what these types of posts would do to this place, as they increase here.

I see no problem with it myself if the photographer is alerting the photography community at large to a business who could well have stolen their images too

Peter

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Sep 03, 2012 05:09 |  #65

And to add insult to injury he used Nikon :-)

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 03, 2012 06:29 |  #66

Dont see a problem either. Name and shame!!

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 03, 2012 11:25 |  #67

I think the OP stole the image from he other guy... :lol: I mean, how do we really know?

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,327 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 03, 2012 11:36 |  #68

Todd Lambert wrote in post #14940793 (external link)

I kinda agree with this Todd. I had a problem a few weeks back. I mentioned the problem on POTN but I never gave the name of the offender. I have a very good friend that is a corporate attorney and he sent the guy an e-mail and also followed it up with an official letter. The e-mail worked and got the image taken off his site. There are a lot of thieving scumbags out there in web-land....

There could be an entire site probably on just that.

rob0225
284 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 03, 2012 12:33 |  #69

I have no issues with outing these thieves in a public forum. They displayed their stolen images in a public forum.

http://www.randsphoto.​com (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 03, 2012 12:45 |  #70

There's a Firefox Ad-on called "Who Stole My Pictures" where you can do a Google Images search on a particular image. It's a nice little tool but it does require you to search each image individually.

https://addons.mozilla​.org …on/who-stole-my-pictures/ (external link)

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 03, 2012 17:09 |  #71

ewheeler20 wrote in post #14942050 (external link)
I think the OP stole the image from he other guy... :lol: I mean, how do we really know?

I'll assume you're playing a sort of devils advocate - fair enough we do need to be skeptical :)

I'm more than happy to be judged by the same way that I have asked everyone here to judge Richard....but let me state for the record those are my images and I can prove it.

| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 03, 2012 17:16 |  #72

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14942102 (external link)
I kinda agree with this Todd. I had a problem a few weeks back. I mentioned the problem on POTN but I never gave the name of the offender. I have a very good friend that is a corporate attorney and he sent the guy an e-mail and also followed it up with an official letter. The e-mail worked and got the image taken off his site. There are a lot of thieving scumbags out there in web-land....

There could be an entire site probably on just that.

I'd love to send them something legal but to be honest I think the cost to me would hardly be worth it. And then taking it further and seeking compensation?

The advice from my national association has so far been "it's hard to do anything". I've asked them to consider having a lawyer write a letter that everyone could use and could form the basis of a legal case if things ever went that far.

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 03, 2012 18:52 |  #73

razyl wrote in post #14943302 (external link)
I'll assume you're playing a sort of devils advocate - fair enough we do need to be skeptical :)

I'm more than happy to be judged by the same way that I have asked everyone here to judge Richard....but let me state for the record those are my images and I can prove it.

lol, I was just kidding. ;)

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 03, 2012 18:57 |  #74

ewheeler20 wrote in post #14943712 (external link)
lol, I was just kidding. ;)

Cool :) But it's a good point and we do need to be careful not to jump to conclusions that arent warranted.

mckay ­ photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
676 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 04, 2012 17:28 as a reply to  @ mckay photography's post |  #75

This is hopefully the final word on this thread - Richard Atkin just sent me an email apologising for what has happened. He said he has been away on holiday and during that time gave a friend of his son (an IT major) control of his website and facebook page in order to maintain a social presence and generate wedding bookings, and this was how the images and text were used.

sponsored links

22,216 views & 0 likes for this thread
Richard Atkin Photography - illegal image use
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.