Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Feb 2009 (Friday) 19:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ever wonder what's inside a Quantum Turbo Battery?

drdiesel1
Goldmember
3,880 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2010 20:51 |  #136

Wilt wrote in post #11419603 (external link)
Do you see how much metal on the battery case, which serves as a somewhat massive heat sink, preventing the point of soldering from reaching the right temperature?!

That's exactly why you need the high heat. It solders the bar onto the cell plate before the case can absorb the heat. That keeps the battery from getting hot.

Have you ever built battery packs before ??? I have been doing it for at least 3 years for my RC trucks.

These are heavy duty packs that need to take a pounding.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 08, 2010 21:47 |  #137

drdiesel1 wrote in post #11419798 (external link)
That's exactly why you need the high heat. It solders the bar onto the cell plate before the case can absorb the heat. That keeps the battery from getting hot.

Have you ever built battery packs before ??? I have been doing it for at least 3 years for my RC trucks.

These are heavy duty packs that need to take a pounding.

You are obviously far more skilled than I...I know that RC guys are battery freaks! :)

I think most soldering irons, even the 8-11W battery powered tiny things, produce 800 degrees...you need the Wattage to produced high volumes of 800 degrees without being sucked down by the metal battery casing. How many watts do you have to use? I wonder how many folks would have that capacity soldering gun handy?! Spend $75-95 for 250w and you might as well have sent the Quantum back for factory service and diagostic verification and (if necessary) repair of the circuitry!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

drdiesel1
Goldmember
3,880 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2010 22:20 |  #138

Wilt wrote in post #11420030 (external link)
You are obviously far more skilled than I...I know that RC guys are battery freaks! :)

I think most soldering irons, even the 8-11W battery powered tiny things, produce 800 degrees...you need the Wattage to produced high volumes of 800 degrees without being sucked down by the metal battery casing. How many watts do you have to use? I wonder how many folks would have that capacity soldering gun handy?! Spend $75-95 for 250w and you might as well have sent the Quantum back for factory service and diagostic verification and (if necessary) repair of the circuitry!

I'm a tool nut, so I don't worry about what it would cost "VS" what I could have someone else do it for ;)
I like to do things myself and have exactly what, I want. Not what someone else wants :lol: I think it's a 100 watt unit for about 45 bucks.

Klaus4
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 08, 2010 23:08 |  #139

drdiesel1 wrote in post #11419588 (external link)
.... or just drop it into cold water.

all roads lead to Rome-
but I prefer to keep water & extremely heat away from electronics....
unless you've got real professional soldering equipment & experience

the cells are not really expensive(no big risk to destroy something valuable) - and as I said: relatively friendly regarding soldering heat.

but interesting discussion...
for 1 Quantum 2x2 you can try to do the job quick&dirty-
but if you do it 10 or more times(for example reselling) it could be really interesting to
go the more professional way.

drdiesel1
Goldmember
3,880 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 08, 2010 23:23 |  #140

Klaus4 wrote in post #11420420 (external link)
all roads lead to Rome-
but I prefer to keep water & extremely heat away from electronics....

I don't think a battery pack is exactly considered "Electronics" :lol:

If water could cause a pack problem, my RC trucks would be in big trouble ;)

I use a Weller Soldering Station for all my pack building. I also use a battery jig and high end components.

Klaus4
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 08, 2010 23:33 |  #141

drdiesel1 wrote in post #11420485 (external link)
I don't think a battery pack is exactly considered "Electronics" :lol:

If water could cause a pack problem, my RC trucks would be in big trouble ;)

remember that you're an experienced soldering man -
some less experienced people could think that you go under cold shower with your battery packs after you cooked them in a 800 degrees baking oven :mrgreen:

btw- thanks for interesting soldering information

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 29, 2012 10:28 |  #142

tetrode wrote in post #7370852 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

The Powersonic PS-832 is the replacement cell of choice among DIY'ers. At around $20, it's the cheapest option.

In the photo you see the cell that comes in new Quantum Turbos. It's a Sonnenshein A208/2.7S. Much harder to find than the Powersonic and twice as expensive (at best).

Dave F.

Reviving an old thread...If there is anyone who has a Quantum 2 battery, the Powersonic PS-832 will also replace the cell inside that model battery pack. You only need to remove the two screws on the sides of the Quantum 2 pack (and not the two screws on the control panel top!); the electronics and battery slide out (shake it like an upside-down bottle of catsup, and let gravity help it all out of the case)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 30, 2012 18:33 |  #143

Since you revived this, the Quantum 1 and 1+ can also be rebuilt easily. The OEM USA built batteries are available on EBay for $24-25, depending on which you need. i don't recall now which is which, but I did my 1 and 1+ at the same time. One had tabs and the other had wire leads. Almost identical batteries, same insides. Very quick to replace, less than 30 minutes total for the 2 of them.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 04, 2012 15:49 |  #144

CanonCameraFan wrote in post #14183080 (external link)
Since you revived this, the Quantum 1 and 1+ can also be rebuilt easily. The OEM USA built batteries are available on EBay for $24-25, depending on which you need. i don't recall now which is which, but I did my 1 and 1+ at the same time. One had tabs and the other had wire leads. Almost identical batteries, same insides. Very quick to replace, less than 30 minutes total for the 2 of them.

Is the SLA for the Quantum 1, the same SLA which can be used for the Quantum 2 and Quantum Turbo (classic)?

mjww
669 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 06, 2012 10:15 |  #145

You can get battery cell packs at battery replacement stores like Battery Plus and All Battery. Most do custom battery packs. Google them.

Equipment list - According to the wife - "how many more lenses do you need? Yet another camera?"  ???

Klaus4
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 30, 2012 18:59 as a reply to  @ mjww's post |  #146

... all my 3 quick&dirty soldered Turbo 2x2 still running without problems :D
... now I soldered a connector cable for my Kodak DCS 760.
'took the end of the AC-Adaptor and soldered it to a Turbo-cable ( black&red).
Works but:
there's a green wire on the AC-Adaptor side which I didn't solder.In addition there'S a ferrite bead on the Kodak-plug(I didn't remove it).
Problem:
Camera gets power from the Turbo but images are full of horizontal stripes when the Turbo is the only power source( no problems when battery & Turbo are installed together)..
MY question (maybe here'S an expert who can answer it) :
should I remove the ferrite bead from the plug?
Or should I open the Turbo-side-cord-plug to connect green(ground) ?
I'm not afraid of experiments but the Kodak is a rare cam(I have 2 of them) which I don'T want to toast ;-)a
I'll send pics of setup if necessary.
Thank you in advance for electro-technical information(which pin of Turbo-cord is green/ground?)

-----
edit:

cord works fine now (removed ferrite ....)..... there's a lot to say but it's specific to this Camera/ not the right place to discuss it here.
should be easy for almost all models of plugs to replace cord's original plug with the plug you need-
it's possible to connect multiple plugs to one Turbo-cable so you can use the plug you need at the moment.

end edit
----

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 24, 2012 09:38 as a reply to  @ mjww's post |  #147

bringing the old thread,

I have 2 units Turbo 2x2 and would like to experiments with Turbo Compact,
I like the idea of having batteries under the camera rather than silly cable
around

did anyone ever open inside of Compact ?
what is the batteries voltage, Ampere, etc

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

pictureperf
192 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 22, 2012 12:20 |  #148

mjww wrote in post #14220063 (external link)
You can get battery cell packs at battery replacement stores like Battery Plus and All Battery. Most do custom battery packs. Google them.

I found these threads and have been indexing them as i have a Turbo 2x2 pack i bought used along with a Quantum t4d. They were in excellent shape but the battery must not have been used and the cells needed replacement. After finally getting the pack out i cannot find anyone who will replace the Nimh pack for less then $80-100 including Batteries Plus and a local suppliers. (They initially quote $30 because they think its Nicads even though i state what it is, or they think its sub-c cells and not 4/5 sub C cells).. The local supplier offered to use Nicads in a sub C size, 1/4" taller with 3800Nimh. I don't want to risk that; different chargers, run time. The only source i have found is Ebay
http://www.ebay.com …96232055626#ht_​1190wt_921 (external link)
i have never put a pack together so i don't want to risk that either... For now its that supplier. Next year i"ll look for a Turbo compact or a regular Turbo. Well back to the 580exll's!!

Beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder...

gregd11
64 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 04, 2012 20:38 |  #149

I am curious if anyone has purchased the $68 2x2 battery pack replacement from eBay.

pictureperf
192 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 13, 2012 00:05 as a reply to  @ gregd11's post |  #150

Yes. i did. it works fine. the rating is 2000mah instead of 2100 like stock but i have used it for several weddings with a t4d. i charge once at the reception and it lasts the whole wedding, usually 800+ shots.

Beauty is in the eye of the checkbook holder...

sponsored links

84,813 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ever wonder what's inside a Quantum Turbo Battery?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.