Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Sep 2012 (Monday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait lens on a 7d

aaxsherm
203 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 04, 2012 19:55 |  #16

T.Hogan wrote in post #14944163 (external link)
Pros and cons of each lens for portraits
a) 50L
b) 85L

With the 50L on a 1.6, it ends up 80mm, but wide open, does the 50L have issues.
With the 85L, would that be too long of a lens for portraits?

My vote would be the 85L, I think it is a great portrait lens, even on a crop body camera. Distance is a personal choice so it may not be for everyone. It depends on why your 50 1.4 or your 100 2.8 do not fit what you are looking for. My guess is if the 50 1.4 does not do what you want and the 100 2.8 is a tad too long, you will agree that the 85L is the best choice.

plawren53202 wrote in post #14944847 (external link)
Just curious...what is your explanation for this? I would expect that the 85 1.2 would perform exceptionally well on a 7D.

I use the 85L on my 7D and think it is a great combo. Deciding to get this lens was difficult. I found very few examples shots from the 85L on a crop camera (Even fewer with a 7D) and many are quick to say it is best on a FF camera. At least in my opinion, it is very close if not just as good. It is all about knowing your tools, how to use them, and understanding the limitations. Yes, the DOF is not as thin....but at 1.2, even on a crop camera it can be very challenging. I have found it in some cases to be beneficial on a crop camera. Attached is an example shot at F2. I will put my flame suit on for the talented (but sometimes opinionated) audience members we have on the forum.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Andy
7D l 5D MKII l 10-22 l 24-70 L l 85 1.2 L II l 135 L l 70-200 F4 IS L

GrendelZ
564 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 04, 2012 20:07 as a reply to  @ aaxsherm's post |  #17

I just got a Rokinon 85 1.4, I love it if you can get used to the manual focus. For portraits its ideal.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com/albums/d81/Grende​lZ/myboy.jpg (external link)

5DIII & a rotating door of other things

PhotoMayo.net (external link)
instagram (external link)

T.Hogan
THREAD ­ STARTER
309 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 04, 2012 21:40 |  #18

The DOF of the 85L is amazing. Razor sharp, with unbelievable bokeh. The 100mm 2.8 is nice, but 2.8 can be an issue with low light. May need to rent the two, for comparisons. Both would be great in my bag, but would rather simplify with one or the other.

7d gripped, canon 10-22. canon 50 1.4, canon 135L, Mamiya equipment.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,215 views & 0 likes for this thread
Portrait lens on a 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.