Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Jun 2012 (Saturday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

sdipirro
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 05, 2012 11:26 |  #1906

Well, that previous soccer picture was a lot better than mine, but I was pretty happy with the results from using my 1DX to shoot youth soccer for the first time this past weekend. I used AF mode 4 without any modifications, just to see how it would do. Only had a couple of focus misses the whole weekend, and those were probably my fault. These two boys were the fastest on their respective teams and were flying in their one-on-one battles.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

sponsored links
DoubleL
127 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2012 12:16 |  #1907

sdipirro wrote in post #14950847 (external link)
Well, that previous soccer picture was a lot better than mine, but I was pretty happy with the results from using my 1DX to shoot youth soccer for the first time this past weekend. I used AF mode 4 without any modifications, just to see how it would do. Only had a couple of focus misses the whole weekend, and those were probably my fault. These two boys were the fastest on their respective teams and were flying in their one-on-one battles.

Nice shot. I noticed you were at 1/500, ISO 160 and F5.6. I would suggest in those sunny conditions and fast moving soccer to up the ISO and get a faster shutter speed to reduce the bit of motion blur. Hey the IDX can handle that ISO bump :D

Lloyd
Website (external link)

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2012 12:20 |  #1908

DoubleL different people like different effects, personally I prefer slight motion blur in the right places, in the right shoots as long as faces are pin sharp, but slight motion blur around the foot kicking a ball, or feet when running for me has a more real effect about the speed of the game.

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2012 12:33 |  #1909

Curiously, I see a lot more boxes with text in them on this thread than I do boxes with photos...

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 05, 2012 12:36 |  #1910

elrey2375 wrote in post #14951098 (external link)
Curiously, I see a lot more boxes with text in them on this thread than I do boxes with photos...

Buy one Elrey, get shooting and posting ;)

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2012 13:10 |  #1911

bigrob wrote in post #14951110 (external link)
Buy one Elrey, get shooting and posting ;)

I'm going to rent one first and check it out before I do anything. The juice has got to be worth the squeeze:cool:

Gadget-Guy
724 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 05, 2012 13:12 |  #1912

elrey2375 wrote in post #14951098 (external link)

Im to busy doing overtime at work to pay for my new toy yet alone use it ;)

The equipment you'll leave at home will be the equipment you'll need the most!
Murphy's Law

itsafastworld85
464 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 05, 2012 13:18 |  #1913

Gadget-Guy wrote in post #14951256 (external link)
Im to busy doing overtime at work to pay for my new toy yet alone use it ;)

I'm using it, I just can't be arsed to keep adding loads of pictures to then have to explain as to why I am happy with my purchase again :)

Candersson
Goldmember
1,143 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 05, 2012 13:21 as a reply to  @ Gadget-Guy's post |  #1914

This thread is for both photos AND discussions about the 1DX
Based on the interest for this body I don't find the number of text boxes strange...

Downsized shots from the 1DX presented in this thread would probably not be that much different from, let's say a 5DIII thread

I think you are wise to first rent it and really test it yourself, before making any decisions.
Good luck!

- Thomas -
1DX/1DIV/7D/5DmkII and Lenses | WWW (external link)
So much to learn, so little time...

DoubleL
127 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 05, 2012 13:24 |  #1915

MaDProFF wrote in post #14951057 (external link)
DoubleL different people like different effects, personally I prefer slight motion blur in the right places, in the right shoots as long as faces are pin sharp, but slight motion blur around the foot kicking a ball, or feet when running for me has a more real effect about the speed of the game.

Absolutely people like different effects. ;)

I could be wrong but I don't think he was intentionally trying for that slight motion blur on the foot, hand and ball on that one. :D

Lloyd
Website (external link)

ChrisGorabPhotography
Goldmember
1,572 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 05, 2012 13:53 as a reply to  @ DoubleL's post |  #1916

itsafastworld85 wrote in post #14951280 (external link)
I'm using it, I just can't be arsed to keep adding loads of pictures to then have to explain as to why I am happy with my purchase again :)

Candersson wrote in post #14951289 (external link)
Based on the interest for this body I don't find the number of text boxes strange...

Downsized shots from the 1DX presented in this thread would probably not be that much different from, let's say a 5DIII thread

I think you are wise to first rent it and really test it yourself, before making any decisions.
Good luck!

I agree with both. Doubters should rent it to get an idea of whether it works for them. Debating whether or not to buy based on pics from other people (who may have very different skills and approaches to photography and post processing) is pointless. Most owners of this camera have already raved openly about it. Some don't feel the upgrade from other bodies is worth the cost. In any case, only an individual can judge for themselves. I have taken between 6000 and 7000 pics. I've only posted a handful. Can't be bothered to post and have others criticize my photos, when it's not them I aim to please. When I want critique or if I want to show off some good shots, I'll certainly post, though.

-Chris (also formally known as "imtrashed" if searching feedback thread)
GEAR LIST/FEEDBACK

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 05, 2012 14:31 |  #1917

Candersson wrote in post #14951289 (external link)

Good luck!

Difference being, the 5D3 thread has entire pages with nothing but photos, many pages in fact. :lol:

itsafastworld85
464 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 05, 2012 14:44 |  #1918

elrey2375 wrote in post #14951540 (external link)
Difference being, the 5D3 thread has entire pages with nothing but photos, many pages in fact. :lol:

A camera which more people can afford and has been on the market for 6months longer.

Makes no sense to me either :lol:

Chewy734
130 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 05, 2012 14:55 |  #1919

IMAGE: http://blog.ashuc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/BB3Q1165.jpg

Scuff
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 05, 2012 15:01 |  #1920

ChrisGorabPhotography wrote in post #14951408 (external link)
I agree with both. Doubters should rent it to get an idea of whether it works for them. Debating whether or not to buy based on pics from other people (who may have very different skills and approaches to photography and post processing) is pointless. Most owners of this camera have already raved openly about it. Some don't feel the upgrade from other bodies is worth the cost. In any case, only an individual can judge for themselves. I have taken between 6000 and 7000 pics. I've only posted a handful. Can't be bothered to post and have others criticize my photos, when it's not them I aim to please. When I want critique or if I want to show off some good shots, I'll certainly post, though.

I'm with you on this Chris.

Mine has been used and abused for action, wildlife, landscape and social. I have always worked with 1 series Canons, and this is by far the most impressive to use. As a whole entity it is easy to set up for very diverse types of photography and has done them all very well. I dont normally heap praise on my tools of work, but this one is as perfect as I have experienced in my 35 years of photography.

I don't care what anyone else wants or needs. People are free to choose what gear they buy and use. I want results, and this camera excels.

I was dubious at first, but managed to get one fairly quickly before I went off photographing the outer Hebrides. My 1ds mk3 stayed in the bag - the Landscape images have a much crisper feel and the dynamic range seems better. Editing the files has also been a revelation, so much more information is available and easy to pull out. You can quote graph and charts and tests at me all you like - this is how I find it as a working tool.

No camera is perfect for everyone, but this is so easy to set up for different jobs. No matter what mode I am using at the time, I can tap the FEL button and instantly turn it into an action camera, a point and shoot or landscape manual camera in a fraction of a second.

When using it with a couple of 600ex-rt flash guns, the exposures on ettl are a massive improvement over he 1ds3 and 580exII's I used to use. So much more accurate and consistent. social/wedding photography with fill flash is so much more pleasing and a lot easier to nail those once in a lifetime images.

If you get one and actually use it hard, you won't be disappointed. But it still makes sense to try one for a few days if you are not sure.

Enjoy your photography whether you are a pro or a 'better than pro' amatuer (and there are plenty of those about) :)

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

sponsored links

3,629,049 views & 4,956 likes for this thread
1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.