Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 24 Aug 2012 (Friday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do clothing colors matter for outdoor portraits?

RickFL
378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 24, 2012 08:35 |  #1

A friend of mine asked me to shoot her and a couple of her business associates. She wants some business casual portraits for their new small business, and she wants them shot outside. She prefers a beach background or maybe some palm trees. I don't think it will be hard to find that on location in Venice, FL. :)

Any tips for what color clothing she should wear? Or maybe more importantly what color clothing NOT to wear? I'm not sure if it matters much. Forgive me if this is a silly question. :)

I'm guessing the weather is either going to be very sunny or maybe overcast. And the shoot will be probably in the middle of the day, unfortunately.

Any advice is much appreciated!

6D gripped :: 17-40L :: 135L :: 70-200 f/2.8L II IS :: Tokina 24-70 f/2.8 :: 50 f/1.4 :: CL 360 (x 2)
My website: rickalonzophoto.com (external link)
My Instagram @sosofreshnsoclean (external link)

sponsored links
sidsy
33 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 24, 2012 09:40 |  #2

Light colors and Floral colors work best for me in a beach background.

I feel like earth colors ( specifically browns, tans, greys) tend to make the picture look dull.

If it's a mid day shoot, yellow or white or a pastel color dress will make the picture look great!

Canon T3i, Canon 55-250mm, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 L, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5-5.6, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
Sidsy Art (external link)
FB Page (external link)
Sidsy on Flickr (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,064 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 24, 2012 20:13 as a reply to  @ sidsy's post |  #3

Eschew patterns.

IMO, also eshew greens and cool tones for very pale complexions. Earth tones rule for pale complexions, while dark complexions can take any strong colors.

Overall, if you want the faces to dominate, you want the clothing to more-or-less coordinate with the background while the faces contrast with both clothing and background. The eye is drawn to contrasts, and it's to the faces you want the viewers' eyes drawn.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 24, 2012 21:54 |  #4

I agree with the above. Coordinating colors and backgrounds can go a long way.

I would tell them to stay away from white and black. If you are shooting natural light it is way to easy to blow them out or turn them into a black hole with no detail. Sure it can be delt with. But save the time and effort and have them wear colors.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

RickFL
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 02, 2012 03:51 |  #5

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

6D gripped :: 17-40L :: 135L :: 70-200 f/2.8L II IS :: Tokina 24-70 f/2.8 :: 50 f/1.4 :: CL 360 (x 2)
My website: rickalonzophoto.com (external link)
My Instagram @sosofreshnsoclean (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 02, 2012 03:57 |  #6

This sounds like a colour wheel question. She needs colours that complement the scenery but don't vanish into it.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

ShellAvery
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 05, 2012 15:49 |  #7

sidsy wrote in post #14900734 (external link)
Light colors and Floral colors work best for me in a beach background.

I feel like earth colors ( specifically browns, tans, greys) tend to make the picture look dull.

If it's a mid day shoot, yellow or white or a pastel color dress will make the picture look great!

Agreed, light colors and whites for beach shots are always a favorite.

Glenleephoto
26 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 19, 2012 03:16 |  #8

Does you know what kind of business she is running? If she running say a clothing company and your going for beach shots then try floral dresses, denim shorts, crop tops
But yeah maybe find out what she actually does before running to the beach in a bikini. If they are going on the business website and she sells say computer parts then thats going to look .. odd aha

Canon 5D MK II w/ 50mm 1.4/85mm 1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/glenwilliam/ (external link)
http://www.glenwilliam​.co.uk (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/glenwilliamphotograp​hy (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 19, 2012 08:36 |  #9

Glenleephoto wrote in post #15012681 (external link)
If they are going on the business website and she sells say computer parts then thats going to look .. odd aha

Or be the best marketing they have ever had!

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do clothing colors matter for outdoor portraits?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.