Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a nice messenger style bag

ConCon
110 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 05, 2012 16:19 |  #1

Looking for a bag to carry around a 60D with lens, and 2 other lenses. I like the Zinc 16" from Swiss Gear http://www.amazon.com …k-Briefcase/dp/B00453XIQ​Q (external link) but I am looking for other similar options. I would like something that doesn't advertise to loudly the idea that I am carrying around hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, something a little discrete I suppose.

Also I have thought about buying a bag and then buying the protective inserts separately, but I do not know what company to go to for those inserts, any suggestions?

sponsored links
Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 05, 2012 19:33 |  #2

Price range? I love my Timbuk2 Small Messenger and my ThinkTank Retrospective 30 (though I think you'd like the 10 or 20 more for your use) in Pinestone.

As far as protective insert, I love the Snoop insert from Timbuk2. Mostly because they're sized to their messenger bags.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 05, 2012 20:35 |  #3

I use a thinkTANK Retrospective 20 and love it. It works really well with a camera with a grip or a 1D type body which was key to me. Easily let's me take two lenses plus what I have on the camera and it's deep enough to leave my 70-20mm f/2.8L with the hood reversed on my body.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 05, 2012 21:28 |  #4

http://www.britishblad​es.com …-as-Camera-Bag.-Pic-Heavy (external link)

This isn't my kit or post. I use a Maxpedition Colossus to carry my d300s with 18-200vr mounted. I would add their water bottle carrier, depending on lens size if I wanted to carry more.

Interesting how the poster carries his monopod.

Dave

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 05, 2012 21:40 |  #5

Hate to tempt you with this one:

ONA Union Street. Still saving my pennies for it!

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,976 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 05, 2012 22:05 |  #6

check out timbuk2 snoop and the domke lineup.

BAG Reviews, master list!
A7RIII, A7III, D850
All the best glass

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 05, 2012 23:19 |  #7

Hardcore wrote in post #14953213 (external link)
Hate to tempt you with this one:

ONA Union Street. Still saving my pennies for it!

Why ONA? Never did understand bags by ONA. They seem over priced for the quality, capacity and usability. Thinktank retrospective bags are superior in usability and craftsmanship. If I had the cash, I would rather get Billingham which has a pretty good track history.

I did read reviews that ONA bags seem to fray and shows signs of wear fairly quickly. But to be fair, ONA seemed to have a very good customer service.

http://gizmodo.com …shionable-than-functional (external link)

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 05, 2012 23:21 |  #8

thinktank retro 30

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 06, 2012 07:54 |  #9

Lifeinpictures wrote in post #14953625 (external link)
Why ONA? Never did understand bags by ONA. They seem over priced for the quality, capacity and usability. Thinktank retrospective bags are superior in usability and craftsmanship. If I had the cash, I would rather get Billingham which has a pretty good track history.

I did read reviews that ONA bags seem to fray and shows signs of wear fairly quickly. But to be fair, ONA seemed to have a very good customer service.

http://gizmodo.com …shionable-than-functional (external link)

They are just nice looking bags. They also carry a 15" laptop which the retrospective series does not. They are designed to wear heavily due to the wax coating on the leather. I have only really read one bad review... probably the same one you did. All others have been very positive and although very subjective, I think it is the nicest looking messenger/camera bag out there. The billinghams are even more money and they have too much of a tidy high end look to them with their polished leather.

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 06, 2012 07:57 |  #10

+1 on the think tank retrospective 20 :) I have one, I love it. The shoulder strap is very comfortable, but can be a bit heavy if you have all your gear in it at once. But its soft, so if you are carrying less, it will fold nicely around your hip while walking - unlike ridged/firm backed bags.

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

prrs4me
326 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 06, 2012 08:23 |  #11

Thinktank 20. Well made. Fits a lot. Looks nice.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 06, 2012 09:34 |  #12

i've got one from Patagonia, wouldn't buy another. Damn strap slips off my shoulder, it needs a piece of sticky rubber glued to it.

Bilderknipser
888 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 06, 2012 10:40 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #13

Also suggesting the Timbuk2, great bag and it's essentially one of their messenger bags with a camera insert. I use it all the time and even take it to school frequently, simply remove the insert and you have a regular messenger bag. I think a size Small should fit your needs :).

Carmen
Mom, Veteran, Student
Gear List

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 06, 2012 19:29 |  #14

Hardcore wrote in post #14954603 (external link)
They are just nice looking bags. They also carry a 15" laptop which the retrospective series does not. They are designed to wear heavily due to the wax coating on the leather. I have only really read one bad review... probably the same one you did. All others have been very positive and although very subjective, I think it is the nicest looking messenger/camera bag out there. The billinghams are even more money and they have too much of a tidy high end look to them with their polished leather.

I know what you mean about billinghams -too nice looking. That's why I haven't got one (and it's pricey too). I have the retrospective which I really like, but do not the lean padding. It's great to work out off, but no laptop like you said. It looks like a UD60 would be more functional but not as cool looking as the ONA.

Dj ­ R
Goldmember
2,976 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 08, 2012 00:22 |  #15

concon, what'cha gonna get?

BAG Reviews, master list!
A7RIII, A7III, D850
All the best glass

sponsored links

2,806 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a nice messenger style bag
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.