Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LR4.1 imports

canon ­ shooter
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 06, 2012 21:32 |  #1

I know when I view image in LCD it may appear brighter than in LR since the JPEG preview makes some corrections. But I notice that some images as they import they turn a little darker as the fully load in LR.
Example one that looks fine in the LCD in LR 4.1 I had to take exposures to +.95 and shadows to +26. Shot was taken in shadows with brighter background

Any suggestions

Jim

5D Mark III Grip, 40D Grip, Canon 17-40L, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 IS II F2.8L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 100 F2.8, Canon 580 EX
It's the Glass that Counts!

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2012 06:28 |  #2

During the import phase LR uses the embedded JPEG for the initial preview. once it has been imported LR then generates it's own conversion based on the current applied default settings. When you bring in images this can take a few seconds, especially if you import large numbers, the speed of your computer can also have a significant affect on the speed of preview generation.

One trick I use to grade a large number of images is to have LR generate all of the 100% previews before I start. Although this can take a while it saves having to wait ages for the preview to load each time you go to Loupe view. On my old dual Celeron 1.5GHz 3Gig laptop it can take 20 or 30 seconds for a 100% view to load so it is a significant saving. It's not too bad if I get back from a days shooting I'll import the images when I get home, start the preview generation and then leave it till the morning to do the sort.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 07, 2012 07:15 |  #3

Do not rely on the LCD screen of your camera - use the histogram instead to judge exposure - it really is the only way.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 07, 2012 09:07 |  #4

One thing that has come up is that the newer generation of cameras have two settings that can make the jpeg "preview" significantly different in terms of brightness than what the Lightroom defaults would render. These settings are HTP (Highlight Tone Priority) which brightens the shadows and midtones, and Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO) which can brighten the overall image.

These settings are applied to jpegs, as I said, but are ignored by Raw processors other than the Canon Digital Photo Professional. So, it is natural to see a different level of brightness when an image is being loaded into Lightroom. If you look at your camera settings for HTP and ALO and they are "On", turn them off to get a more accurate preview both in the camera and when loading into LR.

Also, Picture Style settings in the camera will affect the previews. For a more accurate preview you can set your Picture Style to Neutral. You can go even farther if you then dial down the Contrast and Saturation settings for the Neutral Picture Style. Or, in Lightroom, you can set the default Camera Calibration Profile (and/or other settings) to something that is more appealing to you.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,075 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 07, 2012 09:19 |  #5

Thanks for the HTP and ALO, TonyLong!!!! I will check it out.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 07, 2012 10:27 |  #6

canon shooter wrote in post #14957651 (external link)
Example one that looks fine in the LCD in LR 4.1 I had to take exposures to +.95 and shadows to +26. Shot was taken in shadows with brighter background

Any suggestions

So... Your camera read the background brightness and underexposed the scene. Assuming that's correct, the adjustments you made would not seem unreasonable.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 07, 2012 17:06 |  #7

Kevin, make sure and get back to us about the HTP and ALO settings!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
LR4.1 imports
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.