Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Sep 2012 (Friday) 15:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just got my 5D2 Back from Canon Repairs!!!

Davisje011
45 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 07, 2012 15:29 |  #1

And crap.

I originally sent it in because it had a damaged pcb, the screen would go out intermittently, but the shots were perfect, no banding. Now, this.

Not only did they lose my batteries, but now there is a horrible pinstripe effect on every shot.

JPG or Raw, no difference.

They took 15 days to turn it around the first time, and they said "it'll be faster this time, promise!"

Seriously debating taking a day off work, driving down to Irvine, and trying to get this done in person, because this "there may be delays checking-in cameras shipped to us" is going to cost me a customer already, and I maxed out my card fixing this body, so I can't rent another.

Any fixes out there? maybe a software update I don't know about?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D Mk III - 16-35mm f2.8L II - 24-70mm f2.8L II - 70-200mm f2.8L IS II - 2x Extender III - 600EX-RT - 430EX II - BG-E11

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,938 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 07, 2012 17:12 |  #2

That sucks.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

BTBeilke
827 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 07, 2012 17:17 |  #3

You'd think that it would come back from Canon with the latest firmware already installed. But who knows? Have you checked?

Blane
Gear List

DanAnCan
387 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 07, 2012 17:18 |  #4

WOW....

cant be firmware :S
Even with firmware version 1.0 you shouldnt have THAT happen

Canon 5D3/5D2/8-15L/24-70LII/Σ35/85LII/135L/200L F2/Σ300 EX DG/EF TC 1.4 & 2X III/EX580 II/ PCB Busy Bee Kit

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 07, 2012 17:43 |  #5

I'd guess they botched something with the PCB repair. Really lame.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

aggieastrosfan
52 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 07, 2012 18:45 as a reply to  @ SoCalTiger's post |  #6

I feel your pain. Just got a lens back from repair today (not from Canon) that looks as if absolutely nothing was done to it.

Best of luck to you,if you do drive down, I would pitch a tent until they fix it right!

Meredith
7D | YN 565EX | 100L macro | 28-70L | 50 1.4 | 200 f/2.8L II | 60 2.8 macro

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2012 19:27 |  #7

It looks like you were shooting through a window screeen.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 07, 2012 20:08 as a reply to  @ davidc502's post |  #8

As Canon admits/agrees it was their doing that caused this, I'm surprised they won't supply you with a loaner while they have yours. You might want to plead a case with them, and see if they can do that. Heck, just about any body would be better then none, especially if it's costing you business.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

xeodragon
287 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 07, 2012 20:12 |  #9

aggieastrosfan wrote in post #14961652 (external link)
I feel your pain. Just got a lens back from repair today (not from Canon) that looks as if absolutely nothing was done to it.

Best of luck to you,if you do drive down, I would pitch a tent until they fix it right!

Ugh, felt the same way with my lens back from Sigma. Still back-focusing. Doubt they did anything at all.

OP, best of luck in getting your camera repaired!

Davisje011
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 08, 2012 01:58 |  #10

The supervisor at canon (who constantly drifted away as he was talking, I had to keep turning up my volume to hear him, and he seemed to love to let long, uncomfortable silences occur when I asked questions) failed to send me the return label, he claimed it was a ups thing, and to check my filters (they were fine, gmail is pretty good with ups and canon) so as of this afternoon, I could not send it out, so monday it is. (btw, they cant be open for like a half day on saturdays? really? even banks are open.)

Of course, now its lost wages from taking a day off work, a 140 mile roud trip, and no, they dont provide a loaner. I was told to include a .raw, nothing else. I was discouraged from printing the image to show what they missed. I figure a .raw is pointless because its the same exact thing they should see while calibrating, and they obviously need it pointed out to them...

The supervisor stated once I get to irvine, all that will happen is I hand it over and thats it, they will not talk to me further. I think there is something odd going on, because thats not what I've heard from others...

I'm gonna raise hell, I sent the thing in on 8/23, didnt get it back until 9/7, maxed out a credit card to pay for repairs. Theycheaped out on shipping, lost my batteries, and my camera is now broken in a new way.

Canon 5D Mk III - 16-35mm f2.8L II - 24-70mm f2.8L II - 70-200mm f2.8L IS II - 2x Extender III - 600EX-RT - 430EX II - BG-E11

brett72586
75 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 08, 2012 02:08 |  #11

I would of talked to his supervisor? did you get his name? I would even send an email to canon usa about your situation. Did they at least replace the lost batteries? If they seem not to care just say your gonna sell all your canon stuff and buy that fancy new nikon coming out :/

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 08, 2012 02:11 |  #12

won't do any good driving it down, everything is in a que, meaning there will be repairs ahead of yours. you're better off shipping it again, sucks I know but better than wasting your time taking the day off and driving down there.

Davisje011
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 08, 2012 02:26 as a reply to  @ wookiee2cu's post |  #13

Problem is, my camera sat on their loading dock for 7 days before they acknowledged that they recieved it. I was assured that reception is instant if delivered in person.

The battery issue has been "escalated" they'll probably tell me to pound sand on that one...

I wish I could find out his supervisors name, but he was a supervisor himself, his name was mervyn, or marvin, he was hard to hear.

As for nikon, I am seriously considering it, at least they have service centers all over.

I know if I was a CPS member, the treatment would be better, but I am not full time, I need my day job for the bills and health insurance (I am pre-disqualified to get insurance on my own, due to a pre-existing). So no CPS for me. :cry:

brett72586
75 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 08, 2012 02:35 |  #14

I have heard much worse stories about nikon customer service more frequently then canon if this makes you feel any better. Even if he was the supervisor he still has a boss and at times you can request that his boss does call you back. I still think you should write an email to canon about this.

-lost battery
-came back broken
-losing business
-maxed out CC
-Long turn around time
-issue with shipping it back
-can't hear supervisor speak

I am sure there is more you can think of. I would really email them. Maybe you at least get 100 bucks off something? I would of been on fire after it came back broke. Literally on fire.

Davisje011
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 08, 2012 02:51 as a reply to  @ brett72586's post |  #15

I was, it's been extremely frustrating. I am going to try through canon's facebook page, they have a different PR team and like to keep things tidy, since they allow posting in their page.

I'm hoping there is a real resolution team somewhere...

sponsored links

4,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just got my 5D2 Back from Canon Repairs!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.