Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Jul 2012 (Monday) 22:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 problem with main dial

swldstn
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 16, 2012 22:52 |  #1

So I picked up my new ( 3.5 month old ) 5D3 today and saw what looked at first like bubble gum comming out the main dial near the shutter button and I thought how did that get in there. After examining it more it appeared like some kind of small rubber band got lodged in there. Of course I was stupid and tugged on it because i thougt it was foriegn thing that got stuck in there. A piece broke off and I realized it might actually be part of the camera ( maybe a gasket of some kind ).

First, has anyone else had this experience? I never had it with any of the 5 Canon bodies I've owned so I'm not sure what to do. Camera appears to work fine. Before the piece broke off the main dial was difficult to turn which is what caused me to notice it.

Any ideas, any suggestions?

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links
skater911
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 16, 2012 23:22 |  #2

I would send it into canon and have them take care of it. It is still under warranty, good piece of mind.

Nikon D850 l Nikon 28 1.4E l Nikon 50 1.8 g l Nikon 24-120 F4 l Tamron 100-400 l

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,152 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jul 16, 2012 23:27 |  #3

skater911 wrote in post #14727355 (external link)
I would send it into canon and have them take care of it. It is still under warranty, good piece of mind.

^^^^Agreed!...Probably weather sealing material.

Mark

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Jul 17, 2012 07:31 |  #4

Without question she would be traveling to canon.

Jason

cmunozs
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 02, 2012 16:11 |  #5

Hi!
I just realized that I have the same problem. A piece of rubber is comming out of the main dial and makes it difficult to turn.
I also never had this problem before with other canon cameras and I'm sure this is an issue only 5D Mark III has.
Attached some pictures.

swldstn wrote in post #14727251 (external link)
So I picked up my new ( 3.5 month old ) 5D3 today and saw what looked at first like bubble gum comming out the main dial near the shutter button and I thought how did that get in there. After examining it more it appeared like some kind of small rubber band got lodged in there. Of course I was stupid and tugged on it because i thougt it was foriegn thing that got stuck in there. A piece broke off and I realized it might actually be part of the camera ( maybe a gasket of some kind ).

First, has anyone else had this experience? I never had it with any of the 5 Canon bodies I've owned so I'm not sure what to do. Camera appears to work fine. Before the piece broke off the main dial was difficult to turn which is what caused me to notice it.

Any ideas, any suggestions?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

PUREBRAD
417 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 02, 2012 20:08 as a reply to  @ cmunozs's post |  #6

Interesting. What I think I smell here is another potential recall.

50D / 28-1.8 / 100-2.8L / 200-2.8L / YN565Ex

wookiee2cu
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 02, 2012 20:35 |  #7

PUREBRAD wrote in post #14939850 (external link)
Interesting. What I think I smell here is another potential recall.

Um this is the first one I have seen or read about, a recall would require a significant number of cases.

RoadPhotog
39 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 02, 2012 22:24 |  #8

Is there a menu selection for blowing bubbles? Maybe an Easter egg?

It does look like bubble gum tho. If you have kids you would naturally pull on it. Haha. If no kids you would be wondering what the H***!!

5D MK II, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8L, 2X TC III,430EXII, 055ProXB, 498RC2.

cmunozs
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 02, 2012 22:33 |  #9

RoadPhotog wrote in post #14940226 (external link)
Is there a menu selection for blowing bubbles? Maybe an Easter egg?

It does look like bubble gum tho. If you have kids you would naturally pull on it. Haha. If no kids you would be wondering what the H***!!

no kids :S

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,189 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 04, 2012 07:08 |  #10

It is probably the seal for the light leak issue :rolleyes:

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,776 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 04, 2012 09:40 |  #11

lol wtf is that?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
977 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 08, 2012 11:02 |  #12

Cmunozs thanks so much for documenting it with photos. Didn't have another camera with me at the time. I'm finally going to send mine in next week to get canon to look at it.

This can't be related to the light leek since according to the serial number mine should suffer from the issue and I hadn't sent it back yet for that.

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

cmunozs
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 10, 2012 14:42 |  #13

No problem.
I haven't had the time to send mine to Canon. Probably I'll do it last week of september.
I've been using the camera a lot these days. Now the rubber broke in half.
I live in Chile and I'm sure I'll have big problems trying to get it fix.

Let us know what happens.
Attached a new picture.

swldstn wrote in post #14963920 (external link)
Cmunozs thanks so much for documenting it with photos. Didn't have another camera with me at the time. I'm finally going to send mine in next week to get canon to look at it.

This can't be related to the light leek since according to the serial number mine should suffer from the issue and I hadn't sent it back yet for that.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

4,408 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 problem with main dial
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.