Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 08:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling gear safely?

jemann
166 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 06, 2012 08:41 |  #1

Hi all.

Due to not having enough time for photography much these days, I'm contemplating selling off all of my gear and recouping some of the money I've thrown into it over the last few years.

I hear that photographic equipment can fetch quite a high resale value if in good condition so I want to make sure that I sell it in the "safest" way possible, reducing the risk of being ripped off by some unscrupulous bugger whilst remaining reasonable to genuine potential buyers.

Can anyone advise how best to go about this? What are the generally accepted best practices in terms of money and equipment changing hands? Do people use escrow type services for this sort of thing?

Any guidance appreciated.

I'm in the UK, if that has any relevance to the services I might make use of.

Thanks.
J

7D, 100-400L, 5D2, 17-40L, 24-105L

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,468 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 06, 2012 08:48 |  #2

Given that you are probably talking a fair amount of money sell it to someone local and arrange to meet in a public place. If possible take a friend along. Cash is good, cheques not so much - a fake cheque can clear into your bank in three day and then be yanked back out again by the bank several weeks later - and you will be left to carry the loss.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Eight_Blade
524 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 06, 2012 09:17 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Common sense.

flickr (external link)
Why are there so many dumb people in this world?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 06, 2012 09:30 |  #4

Craigslist works well, but if you get a buyer that doesn't "feel" right, listen to your feelings. I've had best luck selling on Amazon.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 06, 2012 09:51 |  #5

I've had no problems selling both here and on Craigslist. Common sense being the key. Forum member TeamSpeed has a good sticky over in the Marketplace forum dealing with selling online.

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 06, 2012 20:08 |  #6

My biggest craigslist rule: no one comes to my house, ever. Public place meets only, and I tell the person to call me when they arrive and I will then tell them where I am (inside drinking coffee, in the big truck parked by the flag, coming out of the camera shop) that way I can look around and find them first, they will be talking on a cellphone and if they have three big dudes with them and expired tags on their clunker, I hang up and leave the area anonymously. I haven't had to do it yet, but I give myself the option whenever possible.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

PhotosGuy
75,898 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 06, 2012 22:25 |  #7

Do people use escrow type services for this sort of thing?

Here's one, https://www.escrow.com​/index.asp (external link) but sales must be in US currency.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 06, 2012 23:18 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

The last couple times I put something on craigslist I got scammers from all over. I don't trust it for high dollar stuff. I've sold furniture no problem, but not camera equipment. That's just my experience. I don't trust ebay either. I put up an old camera for $600 and I got a "buyer" within hours that had registered that day. I knew that was fishy. Thankfully ebay recognized they were fraudulent a day later and I didn't have to ship it. They wanted me to ship to Nigeria.

I've sold some stuff on POTN safely. I always check the buyer to see if they post actual threads or replies in the forum proving (or greatly reducing scam risk) that the person is truly into photography and won't scam me.

As said above, don't take a check from anyone.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

eaglespremiers
128 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 07, 2012 00:23 |  #9

Selling anything good?

Bendigo Wedding Photographer (external link)

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 07, 2012 00:38 |  #10

I don't know if google voice is available in the UK, but it's a great way to have an "alternative number" that can be used for calling/texting so you're not giving strangers your personal cell phone number.

I'd also suggest a secondary email that doesn't include your last name. Call me paranoid, but once the transaction is complete, I don't want anybody having my cell phone and full name.

As far as the transaction itself, I've had nothing but great experiences buying/selling here. CL is becoming more and more fraught with scammers. Their initial emails about an item are a dead give away. If you get an email that says, "Is the item still available", or if they use awkward grammer, or start talking about escrow services due to them being out of the country, it's a scam.

Use common sense, meet in a public place and trust your gut.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 07, 2012 06:01 |  #11

jemann wrote in post #14954747 (external link)
I'm in the UK, if that has any relevance to the services I might make use of.

It certainly does. No Craigslist, for a start.

I would either use Ebay or I'd join the Talk Photography forums. The latter, however, will take some time as they have restrictions on who may read and/or use their classifieds section. It does, however, make it more likely that the people therein are going to be trustworthy. I've bought and sold a lot on there with no problems.

Of course, the advice given for meeting in person will still apply (although I did buy my 70-200 from somebody at their place of work - but it was a police station, so I felt that was pretty safe).

PS. If you've got any real bargains then I'm not that far from you :-)

PPS. If you want a real safe option then MPB Photographic will buy your stuff. Prices aren't as good as you'd get in a private sale, but you know you're not geing to get ripped off.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 08, 2012 08:27 |  #12

Dan Marchant wrote in post #14954778 (external link)
Cash is good, cheques not so much - a fake cheque can clear into your bank in three day and then be yanked back out again by the bank several weeks later - and you will be left to carry the loss.

right, fake checks used to be a big problem, now most know not to take checks - or "cheques"

bsaber
I have no idea what's going on
3,536 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 08, 2012 13:55 |  #13

Or try Fredmiranda.com. I've sold a lot there.

jemann
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 10, 2012 13:51 as a reply to  @ bsaber's post |  #14

Thanks all for the responses.

I just have to make the final decision of whether to go ahead and sell all the gear or not.

7D, 100-400L, 5D2, 17-40L, 24-105L

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 10, 2012 14:12 |  #15

birdfromboat wrote in post #14957311 (external link)
My biggest craigslist rule: no one comes to my house, ever. Public place meets only, and I tell the person to call me when they arrive and I will then tell them where I am (inside drinking coffee, in the big truck parked by the flag, coming out of the camera shop) that way I can look around and find them first, they will be talking on a cellphone and if they have three big dudes with them and expired tags on their clunker, I hang up and leave the area anonymously. I haven't had to do it yet, but I give myself the option whenever possible.

Back when my club's shooting range was easily accessible (paved roads), I used to have buyers meet me on the weekends when I was there shooting.

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,310 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selling gear safely?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.