Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 15:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Death of Film

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,132 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 08, 2012 13:12 |  #91

It needs one of these.
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …00_Camouflage_T​ripod.html (external link)

sponsored links
Preeb
Goldmember
2,594 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 08, 2012 17:43 |  #92

groundloop wrote in post #14956879 (external link)
Excuse me, but that comes across as a mighty rude comment. I didn't read anything in the Original Post advising others not to use film, nor criticizing those who do. What I read was one person's opinion of why he chooses not to use film anymore.

As for me, I too grew up using film. I never had a darkroom myself, but I've shot thousands of rolls of film throughout the years. I also agree with everything that was said, and I don't much miss film either. One of the things I remember is loading my camera with ASA 100 (planning on shooting outdoors on a sunny day) only to be disappointed and faced with the choice of either waiting for good light or wasting half a roll of film. I've also shot an entire roll only to find that it didn't properly load, I certainly don't miss that.

I personally view film much the way as I do vinyl records - I believe the modern alternative is much better. If you want to shoot film or listen to clicks and pops with your music more power to you. But I much prefer digital.

This is pretty much me too. I didn't shoot 1000's of rolls, but certainly 100's, and never had the time or really the interest in developing. Now I have the luxury of time, but I much prefer sitting here at my computer as I work, watching the waves break on the reef and beach, instead of being locked up in a darkroom with smelly chemicals.

Also, it's easier to experiment with different editing techniques. There is a whole world of creativity available to the photographer today that just didn't exist to any reasonable extent back in the days when film was the only option.

While I loved shooting with film, I've taken totally to digital and don't plan on looking back.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 08, 2012 17:52 |  #93

Curtis N wrote in post #14964101 (external link)
A wooden view camera on a carbon fiber tripod.
I dunno. Something about that just seems wrong.
;)

Its like a '34 Ford with A/C and power steering.........lol

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 08, 2012 18:18 |  #94

Wood view cameras are still manufactured today, principally for their light weight. My Korona was built sometime between 1895 and 1912 and still works great.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 08, 2012 18:21 |  #95

Nature Nut wrote in post #14963719 (external link)
The real question is: Would Ansel Adam's have used a DLSR if given the opportunity? The digital community needs more famous people to fight the war of Digital v.s. Film ;)

Maybe Annie L. will abandon that photoshop processing and go back and shoot film again to "fight the war"

Preeb
Goldmember
2,594 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 08, 2012 18:27 as a reply to  @ Bosscat's post |  #96

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14962376 (external link)
Hmm, record a video then? If you want to "record an event as it happened", you want to take photos that tell a story not sterile photos that shows people in a room and which color the walls are and the weather conditions. ;)

I would say that a lot more photos are taken in the interest of simple family records than those made to tell a story.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14963718 (external link)
But it aint passed and it aint dead. I haven't shot film in almost 7 years. Not one roll or one sheet but I know a lot of people that still do though most are shooting medium and large format but theres a guy tuna and sjones that post here that shoot 135 format and do better street work than 95% of the others seen on POTN and they do it with film.

But how many of those "might" shoot digital if the price of a digital back wasn't so prohibitive? I'm not downplaying the possibilities, just wondering. I once toyed with the idea of going to a 4x5, but the opportunity just never became a real option. 15 years of 35mm, then a few years of sporadic digital P&S, now APS-C digital, and this is where I call it a day. I'm very happy with my current format, and don't intend to incur the cost of moving beyond it. I'd rather focus on be the best I'm capable of with that than trying anything new at my age. I still have a daunting amount to learn just with shooting and developing my RAW digital images.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 08, 2012 21:21 |  #97

Preeb wrote in post #14965229 (external link)
But how many of those "might" shoot digital if the price of a digital back wasn't so prohibitive? I'm not downplaying the possibilities, just wondering. I once toyed with the idea of going to a 4x5, but the opportunity just never became a real option. 15 years of 35mm, then a few years of sporadic digital P&S, now APS-C digital, and this is where I call it a day. I'm very happy with my current format, and don't intend to incur the cost of moving beyond it. I'd rather focus on be the best I'm capable of with that than trying anything new at my age. I still have a daunting amount to learn just with shooting and developing my RAW digital images.

4x5 is a wonderful experience, I started using 4x5 back in the late 1970s when I landed a job with the photographic unit of a large industrial plant. The department had two Linhof kits with Schneider glass between three photographers. We only used 4x5 and medium format for any serious photography. 35mm was mainly used for photojournalism type photography,, we had an interworks newspaper.

In 1986 I commenced a four year course in commercial photography at college level. All practical lessons were conducted in 4x5, although any work we submitted and shot outside could be done on 35mm or medium format. The college had Linhof and Sinar cameras. I bought a Sinar P2 whilst still studying but stupidly sold it after I was offered a job for a newspaper 1990.

I haven't processed film since 1994, the newspaper went over to shooting colour around that time and film was processed by a lab. Given the camera, film, chemicals and equipment I could easily shoot and process film again without much thought

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

KhaledA
211 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 09, 2012 18:47 |  #98

I shot film seriously, with developing it on my own and everything for around one year, because I've been told it'll make me a much better photographer (you aren't a real photographer if you don't shoot film" is what I was told)....it didn't, then I finally realized what does help me, working on my composition and lighting. I hated the smell of the chemicals, and being locked in a darkroom on a beautiful day.
I don't think anything I learned during my film year I couldn't have learned using digital, in fact, I actually learned much faster using digital.
I don't really see film as magical, but that's just me. I love digital, and I love that it lets me focus more on the creative aspect of photography.

So, personally, if film died, I wouldn't mourn it, but I wouldn't go out and seek to kill it.
If others enjoy it, more power to them, it's the end result that matters, and just as I enjoy digital more, I acknowledge that others enjoy film more. It's the end result that should matter. However, it really gets me when film buffs try to assert their medium as the superior one, cause fact is both film and digital have their pros and cons.

My gallery (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,664 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 10, 2012 09:13 |  #99

KhaledA wrote in post #14969206 (external link)
However, it really gets me when film buffs try to assert their medium as the superior one, cause fact is both film and digital have their pros and cons.

It gets me when anybody says, "You're not a real _______ if you don't do _______". Do whatever gets you to where you want to be.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 10, 2012 10:56 |  #100

You're not a real photographer if you don't do film
You're not a real photographer if you don't do digital

What does it matter? Opinions come and go like trade winds in the Bahamas.

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 10, 2012 11:02 |  #101

jetcode wrote in post #14971813 (external link)
You're not a real photographer if you don't do film
You're not a real photographer if you don't do digital

What does it matter? Opinions come and go like trade winds in the Bahamas.

You forgot the most important one:

Your not a photographer unless you shoot exclusively on M mode.

Adam - Upstate NY:

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 10, 2012 11:20 |  #102

I use A mode because I can only twiddle one knob at a time. Hell half my cameras have no meter at all! No dials. And everything is upside down and backwards talk about modern conveniences.

KhaledA
211 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 10, 2012 11:55 |  #103

moose10101 wrote in post #14971336 (external link)
It gets me when anybody says, "You're not a real _______ if you don't do _______". Do whatever gets you to where you want to be.

Yeah, you're right on this one.

My gallery (external link)

whuband
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 10, 2012 12:10 as a reply to  @ KhaledA's post |  #104

My most vivid (pun intended) impressions of film are what a giant PITA it was when working on a deadline. Anyone who has printed from wet film and carried wet prints to the editor will know what I mean. Now you can shoot, instantly see what you have, change iso up and down within a job in the same camera, process, and transmit from the site. The only reason I have to touch another roll of film is to maybe shoot with my Nikonos, and that is only because my current underwater cam is a point and shoot.

It was fun years ago, but there was no alternative.

1D4, 6D, 7D2, Sony a6000 with Sony16-70, Rokinon 12mmf2, Canon lenses: 17-40L, 17-55 f2.8, 10-22, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 300mm 2.8 IS, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bees.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 10, 2012 13:43 |  #105

I can't imagine the film path for commercial and newspaper work and with deadlines. I make way too many mistakes taking my time with film and I can't print for squat. Well I can but it takes a week or so per image. The neg has to be dead on to get a good print for me. Fortunately between the scanner and latest Adobe toys I have considerably more control.

The place where film really shines is in large prints. I saw a show once where these b/w winter images of Yosemite shot with an 8x10 or larger covered the walls of a restaurant with a 20 foot ceiling. It was breathtaking. Absolutely gorgeous. I was with Galen Rowell and all of a sudden his work had a new reference. Galen shot 35mm and 16x20 was pushing it. I shot a young ballerina once on a 8x10 and 35mm. That was a good day. I love MF film too. And 4x5. It's novelty imaging today but it used to be defacto standard.

sponsored links

10,256 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Death of Film
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.