Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 09:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50d dropped in water

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Jul 12, 2012 20:26 |  #16

It's not a camera but I had a cell-phone go through the washing machine while it was turned on. I took it out and dried it, without joy. Then it sat on top of the tv for a year or so with the back off. I was visiting my mum and on a whim, I turned it on. Hey presto... it came back to life.

So maybe all is not lost. I'd put some silica gel into all the compartments you can get access to (incuding under the mirror, put it in a plastic bag and leave it somewhere warm for a while. The worst that can happen is that nothing happens.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
KCS
58 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 15, 2012 11:15 as a reply to  @ noisejammer's post |  #17

I, too, killed a camera - 40D. I used saltwater and found it very effective. Death was almost instant, so it really didn't suffer long. Corrosion was evident within hours. My mourning period is almost over as my new 7D arrives this Tuesday:D

MikeThompson
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 09, 2012 09:37 |  #18

Update---------Someone told me about a camera shop nearby, so I called and they said they would take a look at it and possibly repair it. I dropped it off, 3 days later they told me it could be fixed for under $250 ($140 labor & $95 parts). Got it back Tuesday, and it works as good as new. Glad I called them and didn't just take Canon's word that it was unrepairable.

Mike
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming....."WOW, WHAT A RIDE".

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 09, 2012 09:45 |  #19

dreamcatcher1450 wrote in post #14967409 (external link)
Update---------Someone told me about a camera shop nearby, so I called and they said they would take a look at it and possibly repair it. I dropped it off, 3 days later they told me it could be fixed for under $250 ($140 labor & $95 parts). Got it back Tuesday, and it works as good as new. Glad I called them and didn't just take Canon's word that it was unrepairable.

Congratulations, dreamcatcher! That is great news! Did they say what parts were replaced?

Enjoy your 'new' camera!

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

MikeThompson
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 09, 2012 09:54 |  #20

They replaced 2 circuit boards and cleaned everything.

Mike
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming....."WOW, WHAT A RIDE".

Yogi ­ Bear
Goldmember
1,492 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 09, 2012 09:58 |  #21

dreamcatcher1450 wrote in post #14967481 (external link)
They replaced 2 circuit boards and cleaned everything.

Thanks for the feedback!

Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS |
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM | 250D | EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 580 EX II |

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 09, 2012 10:07 as a reply to  @ Yogi Bear's post |  #22

So it seems that they don't give you the option of doing just enough to get it working, letting you take the chance that the repair turns out to be inadequate.

And rightfully so as people would be complaining to no end. If you fix something just to get it working, and tell the customer that it's iffy but works, they will totally forget the "iffy" part. They will demand their money back when it fails, totally forgetting that they were told that it might not work. It's just better to say nope, not going to fix it, even if it is possible to get it to work initially.

Also, with electronics, they always corrode. It might work a day or a week, but the odds of it working months or years later is slim.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

MikeThompson
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 09, 2012 10:11 |  #23

The shop gave me a 90 day warranty on the camera. If it last 90 days, it'll last a few years. I'm a retired naval engineer, and I've never seen corrosion start that long after something was submerged. I'm extremely happy with the shop's work.

Mike

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 09, 2012 10:15 |  #24

KCS wrote in post #14719322 (external link)
I, too, killed a camera - 40D. I used saltwater and found it very effective. Death was almost instant, so it really didn't suffer long. Corrosion was evident within hours. My mourning period is almost over as my new 7D arrives this Tuesday:D

The wave that killed my 40 D was magnificent.
Too bad that the corrosion hit it in my daughter's wedding!
No flash, none whatsoever. Thank g** for the Midnight Sun!

bag

2ndviolinman
346 posts
Joined May 2011

Sep 09, 2012 13:05 |  #25

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14967536 (external link)
And rightfully so as people would be complaining to no end. If you fix something just to get it working, and tell the customer that it's iffy but works, they will totally forget the "iffy" part. They will demand their money back when it fails, totally forgetting that they were told that it might not work. It's just better to say nope, not going to fix it, even if it is possible to get it to work initially.

Also, with electronics, they always corrode. It might work a day or a week, but the odds of it working months or years later is slim.

Actually, they will remember the "iffy" part long enough to list it on eBay, and THEN they will forget the iffy part.

David
5Dc, 5Dii, Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, 40/2.8 Pancake, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 Macro, 135/2.0L, 200/2.8L, converted 35mm TS, Sigma 50/2.8 Macro, 70/2.8 Macro, Zeiss ZE 21/2.8, Zeiss Contax 28/2.8, 50/1.7 & 85/2.8, Jena 135/3.5, Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 APO, Canon 28-135.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,002 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 09, 2012 14:47 |  #26

dreamcatcher1450 wrote in post #14967409 (external link)

When Canon says it is unrepairable, they are simply stating they won't repair it. Canon won't touch a camera that has been underwater.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

MikeThompson
THREAD ­ STARTER
262 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 09, 2012 15:14 |  #27

TeamSpeed wrote in post #14968371 (external link)
When Canon says it is unrepairable, they are simply stating they won't repair it. Canon won't touch a camera that has been underwater.

My problem with Canon is that they told me to send it in and they would take a look at it. And yes, I told them it had been dropped into the stream, and been completely submerged. When I got it back they said it was unrepairable to to major corrosion. The shop that did the repairs said there was some minor corrosion on 2 boards, which they replaced. If Canon won't touch a camera that has been underwater, they had me waste time and money sending it to them.

Mike

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 09, 2012 16:05 as a reply to  @ MikeThompson's post |  #28

I was out shooting a year ago May in a field with tall grass. After a couple of hours I noticed my phone was not in my pocket. I spent a 1/2 hour backtracking, but realized it was futile.

I got a call a couple of weeks ago. A friend of mine from upstate called me and said his daughter found a phone in a field with her father's number in it...He got the phone and realized it was mine. It still works - go figure.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 09, 2012 17:18 |  #29

I think that Canon has a policy where by any repair work has to reach a high level of quality, and reliability, approaching new specs, other wise they would be innundated with complaints when the repair didn't work out after a few months. Kinda like taking your car to the dealership, as opposed to the corner mom & pop repair shop.

Regards,

Rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 10, 2012 10:14 |  #30

alazgr8 wrote in post #14968898 (external link)
I think that Canon has a policy where by any repair work has to reach a high level of quality, and reliability, approaching new specs, other wise they would be innundated with complaints when the repair didn't work out after a few months. Kinda like taking your car to the dealership, as opposed to the corner mom & pop repair shop.

Regards,

Rick

While what you say is probably true wrt Canon, my experience with car dealerships v independent mechanics as been nearly 100% the opposite of your analogy. ;)

Tom

sponsored links

5,182 views & 0 likes for this thread
50d dropped in water
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.