Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 29 Aug 2012 (Wednesday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An appreciation of macro

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,356 posts
Gallery: 207 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 29, 2012 21:32 |  #1

A few weeks ago, someone responded to a picture I had posted of a jumping spider, with, “a fine example of God’s genius!” I knew exactly what he meant, and could appreciate the comment, which had little to do with the image, and everything to do with the spider.

Ever since I began shooting macro, I’ve come to appreciate the smaller creatures around us. Anyone, if they’re so inclined, can see the beauty in a horse, a lion, a whale, and other large animals. We who enjoy macro photography, are able to see “God’s genius,” (or Mother Nature’s genius, if you will) in much smaller things. After seeing the complexity and detail of various insects and arachnids, I think of them not as just “bugs,” but as small animals. When I show family and friends some of my shots, I get a feeling of satisfaction if I see the light come on in one of them.

I still don’t like mosquitoes, roaches, and a few other “pests,” but I’m glad that my expanding world now includes so many more creatures that I do like, than I had ever know before. I feel blessed.

Sorry if I’ve rambled.

This Robber Fly exemplifies what I'm talking about. I find this much more interesting than a picture of an elephant. ;)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7096/7346748768_245e80322a_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/36800807@N08/7​346748768/  (external link)
IMG_7828_900xa (external link) by mistermooster (external link), on Flickr

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links
x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 29, 2012 21:51 |  #2

Nice...

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
60,706 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 30, 2012 00:42 |  #3

Fully agree with your comments
Brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

calypsob
Goldmember
1,177 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 30, 2012 19:50 as a reply to  @ LordV's post |  #4

No rambles here, I completely understand. From macro to astro, film is always a fantastic way to appreciate the work of God that may otherwise go unnoticed.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 30, 2012 20:02 |  #5

People forget Insects have millions of years more evolution under their belt thereby making some badass adaptations and critters. Personally I don't get all the hype with whales. Whales Schmales, bring on the dragonfly watching.

Beautiful Shot you have there.

Adam - Upstate NY:

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,074 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 31, 2012 04:57 |  #6

Well said, fully agree. Great image too!

Kurt
Upcoming Borneo Herp Tour: Nov 17, 2019; Jan 5, 2020.
Borneo Herp Tour Nov 4, 2018 (external link)

suzbah
716 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 31, 2012 10:33 |  #7

i totally agree. Macro photography is just a vehicle...

Instagram Profile (external link)
Web Site (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,792 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Aug 31, 2012 22:59 |  #8

LV Moose wrote in post #14924406 (external link)
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]
This Robber Fly exemplifies what I'm talking about. I find this much more interesting than a picture of an elephant. ;)

Hmmm, that made me want to try some elephant macro shots. Perhaps of the teeth or tongue. Might be interesting if you could get a view that is unfamiliar.

Can't really do the freezer trick to stop them moving though.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
1,366 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 01, 2012 09:25 |  #9

ejenner wrote in post #14933454 (external link)
Hmmm, that made me want to try some elephant macro shots. Perhaps of the teeth or tongue. Might be interesting if you could get a view that is unfamiliar.

Can't really do the freezer trick to stop them moving though.

Speaking of elephants:

How do you get an elephant out of a glass jar?

A: Take the letter F out of the word "Way"

Adam - Upstate NY:

VegasBoz
372 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 04, 2012 20:16 |  #10

Adding a macro lens to my arsenal was the best thing I've ever done for my photography. It's a whole new world and there are times when I look at my pictures and sit back for a second and really 'LOOK' at them to appreciate every little detail of tiny critters that I can get a decent picture of. It's a whole new world and has definitely made me appreciate even more the delicate balance we have with nature.

But I'm still petrified of spiders and don't ever see me getting any crisp shots of those nasty things unless it's with a remote! Even then I'd have to have someone else clear my gear before I'd touch it again. :D

Nature_Nut: That made me LOL

Zoltan
142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 07, 2012 20:41 as a reply to  @ VegasBoz's post |  #11

I had a similar talk with a friend at work. His light got turned on from viewing some of my photos. I agree completely with your "ramblings."

Fred

weeatmice
763 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 09, 2012 18:14 |  #12

Totally agree. I'm told bugs are ugly sometimes when I show people macro images, though not allways the people you expect seem to appreciate them.

I've always been interested in bugs but recently come to appreciate them as little animals since watching them so closely in the VF. Today I had a Migrant hawker come and hover a few feet in front of me a for a few minutes clearly investigating me and edging slowly closer. It put a smile on my face, shame I didnt have the right lens with me.

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.uk (external link) | 500px (external link) | flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Pinterest (external link) |

LV ­ Moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
23,356 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2012 18:20 |  #13

weeatmice wrote in post #14969088 (external link)
...I had a Migrant hawker come and hover a few feet in front of me a for a few minutes clearly investigating me and edging slowly closer. It put a smile on my face.

Jumping spiders sometimes make me smile, and damselflies when they land on me while I'm relaxing in the pool :)

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 09, 2012 19:01 |  #14

No doubt the images you, Brian and Kurt have shared, along with others, have really been inspiring and changed the way I look at insects and spiders. I have had some appreciation for macro, but nothing like I have now, since joining this forum. I had never seen the kinds of images as good as what has been shared on this forum.

I don't stop to smell the roses, I stop to see if there are any bugs on them.

Thank you for posting.

LV ­ Moose
THREAD ­ STARTER
23,356 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 09, 2012 19:10 |  #15

zerovision wrote in post #14969249 (external link)
I don't stop to smell the roses, I stop to see if there are any bugs on them.

LOL Exactly! :lol:

And by the way, the images of Brian and Kurt are also what got me inspired.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links

4,135 views & 0 likes for this thread
An appreciation of macro
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.