Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 14:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Distinguishing want from need?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,695 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 09, 2012 18:31 |  #16

-dave-m- wrote in post #14969144 (external link)
If a person answered with "I want a new body because I want to have a big camera and get noticed at my son's high school football game." it may turn some people off but is just as vaild as any other reason.

If that's the case, there is no point to asking the question of the forum.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links
TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 09, 2012 18:43 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14968945 (external link)
If spending money on "X" will generate some kind of a significant return on that investment (be it more income or more enjoyment) then it's fair to call "X" a need.

I think you are on to something here. This blurs the line between want and need. In my mind, I 'needed' a 60D without really have a need for it. If what I get out of it is simply the satisfaction of scratching an itch, then its 'worth' is up to me.

I have seen some of the responses justifying the 'what do you need?' question. Even those very justified positions seem stiff and technical to me. Perhaps so much of my life adheres to a schedule that I simple demand the freedom to express myself how ever I see fit, photographically. I am delving into my own mind here. None of this necessarily applies to anyone else.

Thanks to all for your thoughtful and considerate replies. Keep 'em coming. This is interesting.

Gear List

-dave-m-
493 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 09, 2012 18:44 |  #18

RDKirk wrote in post #14969159 (external link)
If that's the case, there is no point to asking the question of the forum.

I was using an extreme as an example. A person could answer with nothing more than "I just want a new body". There are lots of reasons a person could cite for upgrading, want is just as valid as any other.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,695 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 09, 2012 19:44 |  #19

-dave-m- wrote in post #14969196 (external link)
I was using an extreme as an example. A person could answer with nothing more than "I just want a new body". There are lots of reasons a person could cite for upgrading, want is just as valid as any other.

And again, why then ask the question of the forum?

If someone asks the question of the forum, then it's perfectly valid to ask why the person thinks he "needs" the new body--in other words, what more does he want to be able to do that he can't presently do.

If he simply wants one because he wants one, there's no point asking the question.

If he asks the question, then it's perfectly valid to ask him more questions.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

-dave-m-
493 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 09, 2012 20:15 |  #20

RDKirk wrote in post #14969407 (external link)
And again, why then ask the question of the forum?

If someone asks the question of the forum, then it's perfectly valid to ask why the person thinks he "needs" the new body--in other words, what more does he want to be able to do that he can't presently do.

If he simply wants one because he wants one, there's no point asking the question.

If he asks the question, then it's perfectly valid to ask him more questions.

Maybe because they want to know the differences between the new bodies they are considering and are to lazy to go to google and find out on their own. There's really not much point to the majority of questions asked here, a quick search would provide the answers.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 09, 2012 20:20 |  #21

Not RD's point at all...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

-dave-m-
493 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 09, 2012 20:44 |  #22

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14969496 (external link)
Not RD's point at all...

My point is that sometimes there isn't a reason such as I want a new body that has better high iso performance or has better AI Servo performance. The reason is simply I want a new body could you tell me the difference between x and y. They are asking here because they assume people on this forum can tell them the difference.

I am only speaking to these circumstances and understand completely that getting as much info about why a person wants to upgrade is important. But if that reason is nothing more then I want a new body then I wouldn't dismiss the question as being beneath me to answer.

mccamli
Goldmember
1,075 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 09, 2012 20:49 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #23

Damn you OP You've just cost me the price of a new 7D!

I wanted one and was trying to justify it based on needs. Well that argument's just gone down the drain.

The 7D's in the post and the trusty 40D's due for early retirement!

In the process I've discovered a different need...a bigger bank balance!

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 10, 2012 01:24 |  #24

dave-m,

To my way of thinking you have hit the nailed on the head. In my own case I want a 5D3, truthfully speaking, because it's new, and it's hot, but it is also a quality camera. Lucky for me, I can afford one. I am also able to control my slight obsessive/compulsive behavior, to the point where I can wait awhile before I buy. I am into guns, and manys the time I have seen a gun newbie (with 12 posts) go on a forum and say he wants to get a Wilson, or a Les Baer, or an ed Brown, or some other premium 1911, and someone will chime in (with 10,000 posts) and say "you don't need that, you'd be better off buying an $800 1911, and spending $2200 on ammo and learn how to shoot. Guns or camera's there's always someone talking down to someone else.

Regards,

Rick

-dave-m- wrote in post #14969572 (external link)
My point is that sometimes there isn't a reason such as I want a new body that has better high iso performance or has better AI Servo performance. The reason is simply I want a new body could you tell me the difference between x and y. They are asking here because they assume people on this forum can tell them the difference.

I am only speaking to these circumstances and understand completely that getting as much info about why a person wants to upgrade is important. But if that reason is nothing more then I want a new body then I wouldn't dismiss the question as being beneath me to answer.

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 10, 2012 01:30 |  #25

IMAGE: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-N2ziriWNIDA/TzKVZ3HEnbI/AAAAAAAAGUQ/irECyJpgEzw/s1600/psalm+39+HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/camera_images_8/Canon/1dx/canon-1Dx.jpg

IMAGE: http://news.calgarytheatresystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/EF-300mm-f2.8-L-IS-II-USM-FSL-NO-CAP.jpg

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 10, 2012 05:14 as a reply to  @ Canonswhitelensesrule's post |  #26

I don't agree with the whole want/need argument.

There are many times that a new camera has features that make it much easier to shoot with. An example would be the 9 point AF (with only 1 cross type) of the 5D2 vs. the 61 point AF of the 5D3. You don't have to focus and recompose. You don't have so many problems with low light. You can concentrate on getting the shot as you want instead of the technical details of shooting. All of this doesn't quantify as a need. I could give you a single AF point camera and you could still get a good shot.

I think quantifying things as wants and needs is a loaded statement and just doesn't apply many times. I really cringe when someone says "get a camera when your old one can't do something." Again, the whole 9 point AF argument. I can still get a great shot with that AF system, but I can get better shots more easily with a new AF system.

If you apply wants and needs to buying a new car, wants and needs don't always apply either. Sure there are people that just want a new car, but for the majority it's the added benefits like low mileage, less wear and repair, less future repairs, reliability, increased safety, clean, etc... Your old cars does everything so needs doesn't really apply. It's simple a matter of improving regardless to wants or needs.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 10, 2012 06:09 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

mccamli wrote in post #14969588 (external link)
Damn you OP�� You've just cost me the price of a new 7D!

I wanted one and was trying to justify it based on needs. Well that argument's just gone down the drain.

The 7D's in the post and the trusty 40D's due for early retirement!

In the process I've discovered a different need...a bigger bank balance!

You are most certainly welcome. Glad to be of service. Life is short, buy the 7D.
edit: Upon re-reading, I see you have already ordered the 7D. Congratulations!

Gear List

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 10, 2012 06:15 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

alazgr8 wrote in post #14970425 (external link)
dave-m,

To my way of thinking you have hit the nailed on the head. In my own case I want a 5D3, truthfully speaking, because it's new, and it's hot, but it is also a quality camera. Lucky for me, I can afford one. I am also able to control my slight obsessive/compulsive behavior, to the point where I can wait awhile before I buy. I am into guns, and manys the time I have seen a gun newbie (with 12 posts) go on a forum and say he wants to get a Wilson, or a Les Baer, or an ed Brown, or some other premium 1911, and someone will chime in (with 10,000 posts) and say "you don't need that, you'd be better off buying an $800 1911, and spending $2200 on ammo and learn how to shoot. Guns or camera's there's always someone talking down to someone else.

Regards,

Rick

Those reasons work for me, too. I want a 5D3 for a few practical reasons. One, I want a full frame digital camera. Two the AF system is MUCH better than the 5D2. Three, I can afford one. Four, I want one.

Years ago I bought a Kimber Custom Classic. It didn't help me shoot any better, but damn it was creamy smooth! My only 1911 now is a Rock Island Armory $300 beater. It launches lead just fine, thank you. I'll waste my money on Canon gear I don't really need.

Gear List

-dave-m-
493 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 10, 2012 07:58 |  #29

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14970750 (external link)
I don't agree with the whole want/need argument.

There are many times that a new camera has features that make it much easier to shoot with. An example would be the 9 point AF (with only 1 cross type) of the 5D2 vs. the 61 point AF of the 5D3. You don't have to focus and recompose. You don't have so many problems with low light. You can concentrate on getting the shot as you want instead of the technical details of shooting. All of this doesn't quantify as a need. I could give you a single AF point camera and you could still get a good shot.

I think quantifying things as wants and needs is a loaded statement and just doesn't apply many times. I really cringe when someone says "get a camera when your old one can't do something." Again, the whole 9 point AF argument. I can still get a great shot with that AF system, but I can get better shots more easily with a new AF system.

If you apply wants and needs to buying a new car, wants and needs don't always apply either. Sure there are people that just want a new car, but for the majority it's the added benefits like low mileage, less wear and repair, less future repairs, reliability, increased safety, clean, etc... Your old cars does everything so needs doesn't really apply. It's simple a matter of improving regardless to wants or needs.

I agree that there are many reasons to acquire new things. Trying to blanket those under just want or need is a futile effort. I'm just saying that sometimes people buy something for no other reason than they want it. It's a valid reason and why should anyone judge them negatively for it.

auto-clicker
819 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 10, 2012 08:05 as a reply to  @ post 14969154 |  #30

It's as simple as this:

Pros have needs, non-pros have wants :)

sponsored links

7,477 views & 0 likes for this thread
Distinguishing want from need?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.