Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 09 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Full-frame, fixed-lens Sony RX1 leaked!!

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 09, 2012 18:36 |  #16

tkbslc wrote in post #14969110 (external link)
But there is a FF sensor and a Zeiss 35mm f2. That's, what, a $4000 combo with any other new FF setup? So there is a pretty big "PnS" discount already.

FF dslr is not the same as a ff mirror less compact system. Zeiss 35mm f2 lens wo a mount but w af is about $1k retail. So I figure this Sony is around $1800 at most to be competitive To fuji x system. To be at $2.8k, it needs interchangeable system similar to Leica.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

sponsored links
andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 10, 2012 07:25 |  #17

FIXED lens FF?
Why?
Is this a $3k answer to a question nobody asked?
Is there a reason they had to cripple this product with a fixed lens "solution"?

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 10, 2012 07:59 |  #18

This needs to be interchangeable lens for the price.

If they are going fixed lens, then $2k. I'll wait for the price to drop, which will be inevitable. I've been waiting for a compact Leica-like full frame for a long time, since I do mostly street photography. While Canon and Nikon continue to rehash the same old camera, Sony steps up with innovation. Kudos. Just make this interchangeable and come out with an 85mm for portrait work or a 50mm and I can do both street and portrait.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

bkdc
884 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 10, 2012 08:05 as a reply to  @ dharrisphotog's post |  #19

If that lens isn't retractable, there is no benefit to having it be a fixed lens camera.

EF 8-15L fisheye | 16-35 f/4L IS | 24-70 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100-400L II | 35L II | 40 f/2.8 pancake | 50 f/1.8 STM | 100L Macro | 600EX-RT x 3
Tamron 24-70

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 10, 2012 08:21 |  #20

andrikos wrote in post #14970986 (external link)
FIXED lens FF?
Why?

Loads of people bought the Fuji x100 even though it has a fixed lens. I'm sure loads will want to buy a FF compact with a fixed lens too.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 10, 2012 08:46 |  #21

I'm thinking that as well. Some what like the Fuji X100-> X Pro-1 route

Shadowblade wrote in post #14968565 (external link)
If they're making a fixed-lens model, then an interchangeable-lens model can't be too far away.

Maybe even one with a Leica M-mount, or capable of taking an M-mount adaptor.

Tri-Elmar 16-18-21 or Voigtlander Heliar 12mm on a 36MP CMOS sensor with live view, that you can carry in a (large) pocket? Yes, please!

Nikon D800

rjx
Goldmember
2,667 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 10, 2012 11:44 as a reply to  @ liupublic's post |  #22

tkbslc wrote in post #14969110 (external link)
But there is a FF sensor and a Zeiss 35mm f2. That's, what, a $4000 combo with any other new FF setup? So there is a pretty big "PnS" discount already.

I think you explained that well to better justify the price.

5D3 = $3500
5D2 (Canon refurb store) = $1759

Distagon 35mm T* f/2 ZE = $1117

Sirrith wrote in post #14971139 (external link)
Loads of people bought the Fuji x100 even though it has a fixed lens. I'm sure loads will want to buy a FF compact with a fixed lens too.

Before I read your post, this is what I was thinking too.

ching wrote in post #14971221 (external link)
I'm thinking that as well. Some what like the Fuji X100-> X Pro-1 route

Seems like it to me too, but in this case, I think it would have been smarter to release the interchangeable lens version first. I don't think Sony would need to test the waters (if that's what they're doing) because a Nex-like full frame would be a great seller.

So what, start off with the fixed lens for $2799 .... what will the interchangeable version be? $3499? I guess price doesn't matter too much as long as it's packed with features and usability photographers really need. We'll see.

Keith_D wrote in post #14969081 (external link)
Impressive specs, nice lens, and a small body. The only problem, and one big problem IMO, is the fact that it is has optical, hybrid, or EVF included. They want you to shell out that much money for a compact full frame camera, but yet do not include what most people who are shopping in that price range are going want. They most likely will have the option of purchasing one once it is released, but given the price of the camera I could only imagine how much it will cost.

An OVF would increase both the size and price. You can buy an EVF. (external link)

That being said, I definitely fall in the boat of wanting an OVF, or at least a great EVF.

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 10, 2012 11:48 |  #23

I think they don't know who the market is if the left out an OVF. It would have been very easy with a fixed 35mm prime lens, too.

They should have already had a good starting point from some of their Minolta acquisitions:

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2455/3637370904_81f770c63d.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.collection-appareils.fr/minolta/images/himatic7.jpg

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 10, 2012 13:17 |  #24

Sirrith wrote in post #14971139 (external link)

Ok, help me understand this (I must be really thick).
Is this thing a replacement to a dSLR or is it sort of a "mirroless compact" like the much maligned (by the very same people who praise this thing) EOS-M?

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 10, 2012 14:41 |  #25

andrikos wrote in post #14972460 (external link)
Ok, help me understand this (I must be really thick).
Is this thing a replacement to a dSLR or is it sort of a "mirroless compact" like the much maligned (by the very same people who praise this thing) EOS-M?

Sony RX1 can not replace DSLR because it does not have interchangeable lens.

Sony RX1 is a fixed prime lens design with a FF sensor. Most likely with great IQ and etc, but the target audience is very small. It gets even smaller because Sony decides to price it to compete with Leica M-series instead of Fuji X100.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 10, 2012 14:57 |  #26

liupublic wrote in post #14972860 (external link)
It gets even smaller because Sony decides to price it to compete with Leica M-series instead of Fuji X100.

And even smaller still because it says "Sony" on the body...

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,816 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 10, 2012 18:22 |  #27

pulsar123 wrote in post #14967950 (external link)
Still P&S, even if it is full frame...

all camera are P&S, some just have more features on them.

if it's got manual focus/aperture/shutter and RAW then it should be a nice little street photography camera

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,816 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Sep 10, 2012 18:31 |  #28

rjx wrote in post #14972050 (external link)
An OVF would increase both the size and price. You can buy an EVF. (external link)

That being said, I definitely fall in the boat of wanting an OVF, or at least a great EVF.

I think that OVF are over-rated to be honest.

If you look at the fjifilm X-E1 that's due to come out, many people say it's only got a EVF and that wouldn't look at it because of it.

However in camera of this type an OVF isn't going to be an SLR so then it's a range finder type. Of course any range finder you dont' get to see what the lens is seeing so you have to guess with the settings and the framing and hoping you get it right. it's a lot of learning to see. Many see the advantages of a range finder is that you can see what's going to happen before it enters the frame.

However if you use the screen on the back you can still get to see what the camera is going to take (IMO better than a OVF in a range finder) and you can still anticipate what's going to happen because you can see the world around you.

A camera like this is good because it looks like you just got a cheap P&S camera but really you got a nice piece of kit.

What I don't like the price.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

Lamplight
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Sep 10, 2012 19:43 |  #29

For that price I'd at least want some sort of built-in viewfinder, whether optical or electronic or both. The add-on viewfinder is better than nothing, but it adds another "bump" to a camera that's otherwise pretty sleek. I'd gladly settle for a smaller LCD in order to accommodate an OVF and/or EVF, considering I absolutely hate trying to take pictures using only the LCD. Otherwise I might as well keep using my Canonet, which is also "full frame" but has a faster lens. :p

nonick
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 11, 2012 00:05 |  #30

Not interested if no VF. Also, the price is really high while Fuji's 35mm FL for equavilent lens for the X's is coming out very soon.

Gear|Searching for 7DII, Buying 5DIII 35L II, 24-70 2.8L IS

sponsored links

11,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Full-frame, fixed-lens Sony RX1 leaked!!
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.