Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 09:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DMII to 5DMIII problems

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2012 09:21 |  #1

So I recently bought a 5DMIII as I phase out my MII. Whenever I put a memory card in my camera for a new shoot I always format it to clear it. I've been using the MIII for two weeks now with no troubles... until today. I put a CF card in, formated it, and shot on it. Everything looks fine on camera, I see all the images I expect and none of the ones I don't. But, now I put that card in a reader on my computer and I see only the images that I took on that card from the MII and none of the ones from the MIII... What's up? Anyone know what I did wrong? How can I get the images I took on the MIII, with a cable to the camera? How can I prevent this in the future? I thought formatting the card in the camera you use it in made it right.... no?!

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
lago_b
40 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 09, 2012 09:27 |  #2

Don't format the card that much. If its file system is doing its job without errors there's zero reason to reformat it between shoots. Perhaps you solved a problem in the past with this ritual but it's completely unnecessary. Do you format your hard drive each time you use your computer? There's no reason why the two different bodies can't share a card.

Dermit wrote in post #14967356 (external link)
So I recently bought a 5DMIII as I phase out my MII. Whenever I put a memory card in my camera for a new shoot I always format it to clear it. I've been using the MIII for two weeks now with no troubles... until today. I put a CF card in, formated it, and shot on it. Everything looks fine on camera, I see all the images I expect and none of the ones I don't. But, now I put that card in a reader on my computer and I see only the images that I took on that card from the MII and none of the ones from the MIII... What's up? Anyone know what I did wrong? How can I get the images I took on the MIII, with a cable to the camera? How can I prevent this in the future? I thought formatting the card in the camera you use it in made it right.... no?!

Dermit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2012 09:41 |  #3

lago_b wrote in post #14967376 (external link)
Don't format the card that much. If its file system is doing its job without errors there's zero reason to reformat it between shoots. Perhaps you solved a problem in the past with this ritual but it's completely unnecessary. Do you format your hard drive each time you use your computer? There's no reason why the two different bodies can't share a card.

So you do a delete all to erase images? That takes longer, at least it used to. But the main question here is there IS a problem. I am not getting any images off this card from the new camera and only seeing old images from the old camera.... any solution?

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX

lago_b
40 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 09, 2012 10:08 |  #4

After I import images I post-process and delete them from the card after I'm satisfied with the final output. This could be minutes or months.

Each time you format that card you may just be doing a high-level format, which means errors can slip by instead being detected and either corrected or marked as bad sectors which can no longer be written to. I'm not sure if in-camera formatting is high or low level or something in between. If it's super quick when you do it then it's likely high-level and the card could have recurring file system issues or surface problems which are being written to.

Try and check the card for errors using whatever disk check is available in your OS. Then try the cable. Or vice versa.

Dermit wrote in post #14967425 (external link)
So you do a delete all to erase images? That takes longer, at least it used to. But the main question here is there IS a problem. I am not getting any images off this card from the new camera and only seeing old images from the old camera.... any solution?

Dermit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2012 10:23 |  #5

The EOS 5D Mark III Owners manual even says that if it is a new card or if it was used in any other camera or if it is full of images or data you need to format it.

Currently I am trying rescue pro to recover... the cable from the Mark III to the computer still only makes it see the old pics.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 09, 2012 10:45 as a reply to  @ lago_b's post |  #6

Are you sure you are looking at the right card? This seems like a simple user error like looking at a CF card, but all the images are on the SD card.

If you formatted the card, you should not see any images. This is what leads me to think a simpler user error.

If its file system is doing its job without errors there's zero reason to reformat it between shoots.

formatting isn't going to hurt anything and they're zero reasons why he shouldn't format between shoots.

The 5D3 format menu says "low level" format, but all it really does is a reinitialization of the card (zero-fill).

Each time you format that card you may just be doing a high-level format, which means errors can slip by instead being detected and either corrected or marked as bad sectors which can no longer be written to.

And just deleting the images doesn't provide anything as well.

Not to argue terms, but low level formatting is not what you think it is. Low level formatting is done at the factory and not even possible on modern hard drives without special factory utilities. Reinitialization is what zero-fills the hard drives, and what people confuse with a low level format. A "quick" format only removes the pointers in the FAT (file allocation table) and is typically called high level formatting. Disk checks like checking for bad sectors can be done in a high level format or reinitialization format.

back to the OP..
Are you sure your 5D3 is writing to the card you think it's writing to? When you pull a CF card and leave a SD card in a slot, it will default to the SD card for writes and playback. You have to switch it back to the CF card.

I would suggest formatting the card in camera, make sure it is writing to the correct card, and shoot again.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

Dermit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2012 11:12 |  #7

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14967644 (external link)
Are you sure you are looking at the right card? This seems like a simple user error like looking at a CF card, but all the images are on the SD card.

If you formatted the card, you should not see any images. This is what leads me to think a simpler user error.

formatting isn't going to hurt anything and they're zero reasons why he shouldn't format between shoots.

The 5D3 format menu says "low level" format, but all it really does is a reinitialization of the card (zero-fill).

And just deleting the images doesn't provide anything as well.

Not to argue terms, but low level formatting is not what you think it is. Low level formatting is done at the factory and not even possible on modern hard drives without special factory utilities. Reinitialization is what zero-fills the hard drives, and what people confuse with a low level format. A "quick" format only removes the pointers in the FAT (file allocation table) and is typically called high level formatting. Disk checks like checking for bad sectors can be done in a high level format or reinitialization format.

back to the OP..
Are you sure your 5D3 is writing to the card you think it's writing to? When you pull a CF card and leave a SD card in a slot, it will default to the SD card for writes and playback. You have to switch it back to the CF card.

I would suggest formatting the card in camera, make sure it is writing to the correct card, and shoot again.

Gregg.Siam,
You are a genius, I am an idiot. This is exactly what it was. Somehow, somewhere the Mark III started writing to the SD card. I never remember consciously switching to this card. The Mark III is the first camera I've had that has dual slots. Anyway, problem solved! Thanks! And I plan on continuing to format my cards every time I need to start a fresh shoot. That's the way I've done it for ten years with no problems.

Dermit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 09, 2012 11:19 |  #8

OK, so I just learned something. If you have a CF and an SD loaded in the camera with only the CF chosen to write to, then pull the CF card, dump contents on computer, Turn on the camera at anytime without the CF card loaded and the SD card only loaded then reload CF card, the SD card will be the chosen card. To write to. It will not default back to where you had it because it was forced to select the SD card since it was the only one loaded at one point in time. This is a gotcha. When I think about it it makes sense for the camera to do this, but it got me because I never switched them myself so was not thinking about which card it was writing on....

ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 09, 2012 12:38 |  #9

I have never seen anyone burned by the format before every use rule. The recommendations to not format are contrary to any advice that I have ever heard from any knowledgeable source.

benttop
701 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 09, 2012 20:55 |  #10

Dermit wrote in post #14967735 (external link)
OK, so I just learned something. If you have a CF and an SD loaded in the camera with only the CF chosen to write to, then pull the CF card, dump contents on computer, Turn on the camera at anytime without the CF card loaded and the SD card only loaded then reload CF card, the SD card will be the chosen card. To write to. It will not default back to where you had it because it was forced to select the SD card since it was the only one loaded at one point in time. This is a gotcha. When I think about it it makes sense for the camera to do this, but it got me because I never switched them myself so was not thinking about which card it was writing on....

If you have images on your CF and you turn off the camera, then turn it on, the camera will switch to the SD and there is no warning that this has happened. I finally removed the SD media so that I could keep the camera running at its highest speed.

Steve Cavanaugh
EOS 5D MK III, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 85 f1.2L, EF 24 f1.4L, EF 400 f5.6L, EF 24-70, EF 70-200, EF 100-400, EF 100 Macro, G12, EOS 7D, Fujifilm X100S and X-T1

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 10, 2012 05:04 |  #11

benttop wrote in post #14969609 (external link)
If you have images on your CF and you turn off the camera, then turn it on, the camera will switch to the SD and there is no warning that this has happened. I finally removed the SD media so that I could keep the camera running at its highest speed.

Nope. It only goes to the SD card if you remove the CF card and put it back in. I turn mine off all the time and it always defaults to the CF card. Are you sure you have the CF card set as default?

The whole "SD card slows it down" is just wrong unless you are writing to both cards. The SD card simply being in the slot doesn't slow down the CF card. (the blog that initially started this whole rumor has since went back and corrected their mistake)

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

auto-clicker
776 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 10, 2012 08:11 |  #12

Dermit wrote in post #14967711 (external link)
Gregg.Siam,
You are a genius, I am an idiot. This is exactly what it was. Somehow, somewhere the Mark III started writing to the SD card. I never remember consciously switching to this card. The Mark III is the first camera I've had that has dual slots. Anyway, problem solved! Thanks! And I plan on continuing to format my cards every time I need to start a fresh shoot. That's the way I've done it for ten years with no problems.

LOL, im sorry butthat was quite funny as we've all done it at one point me not as yet good

benttop
701 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 10, 2012 15:43 |  #13

Gregg.Siam wrote in post #14970737 (external link)
Nope. It only goes to the SD card if you remove the CF card and put it back in. I turn mine off all the time and it always defaults to the CF card. Are you sure you have the CF card set as default?

The whole "SD card slows it down" is just wrong unless you are writing to both cards. The SD card simply being in the slot doesn't slow down the CF card. (the blog that initially started this whole rumor has since went back and corrected their mistake)

I believe that is how I have it set, but now you have me challenging myself. I shall confirm before I rebut. :)

Steve Cavanaugh
EOS 5D MK III, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 85 f1.2L, EF 24 f1.4L, EF 400 f5.6L, EF 24-70, EF 70-200, EF 100-400, EF 100 Macro, G12, EOS 7D, Fujifilm X100S and X-T1

Larry20d
287 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 10, 2012 16:00 as a reply to  @ benttop's post |  #14

Okay. Let's see if I understand this. Suppose I'm using both cards. CF for RAW and SD for JPEG,I remove CF card, install new CF card, do I need to reset the settings or will my original settings continue to be in effect.

5D Mark III, Canon 80D,16-35L, 24-105L, 70-300L IS, 100-400L IS, Nifty 50 1.4, Canon 135L, Canon 85 1.8, Canon EFS 18-135, Canon 55-250, Sigma 150 Macro, EFS-18-135, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Extension Tubes, Canon G10

benttop
701 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 10, 2012 22:31 as a reply to  @ Larry20d's post |  #15

OK I guess my confusion is that the manual completely sux in this area.

I cannot say which way I had it set before, but I just this minute confirmed that if it is set to Standard, with the CF set to play back, it always records to the CF until it's full. Likewise if it is set to Auto Switch card it stays on the CF until it is full, then switches.

Edit: Hm. I cannot duplicate the condition I previously experienced in which the camera decided on its own to switch to the SD. I'm not sure what happened, but I can say it appears to be working just as I would expect. Odd, but I'm happy. :)

Steve Cavanaugh

sponsored links

2,620 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DMII to 5DMIII problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.