Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 10 Sep 2012 (Monday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rocky Mountain, CO or Eastern Sierra

arcgang
32 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 10, 2012 19:44 |  #1

Hi,

I live in LA, CA and was wondering whether I should go to Rocky mountain, CA for 2 days or should go to Eastern Sierra for fall colors. I plan to go in first weekend of Oct.

Plz suggest me which place should I choose considering fall color, variety etc.

Thanks in advance!

'Lenses fill my senses'
Gear list : Canon eos 60d, t2i, canon 50mm f1.8, canon 18-200mm, sigma 10-20mm f3.5, canon 100mm f2.8 L, canon 100-400mm L

sponsored links
Cali_PH
125 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 10, 2012 21:36 |  #2

I've never been to Rocky Mountain, but I can list some of the highlights in the Eastern Sierras, as well as stop nice places between there and LA. There's a good variety of things to see.

Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, Bodie ghost town, Devil's Postpile, Death Valley (passed on way up & down), Patriarch Grove/Inyo National Forest, Alabama Hills.

Mono Lake - If you've never been, consider seeing this sooner rather than later. It was on the park closure list for this year because of the state budget issues, but I guess a last minute campaign saved it. Who knows about the future. Also, now that they stopped draining it to send water to LA, water levels are rising. Not sure what the rate is, but I'm assuming that means over time the tufas will get covered, at least partially.

Yosemite - A definite must-see, if you've never been. Tioga Pass and the eastern entrance should be open in early October.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon - These are south of Yosemite, but I'm not sure if there are entrances on the eastern side. But if you were very interested in seeing one or both, you could drive through Yosemite, and see them on the way up or back.

smmokan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 11, 2012 11:43 |  #3

In Colorado, I wouldn't pick Rocky Mountain National Park for fall colors.... instead, spend some time around Aspen and Crested Butte. Then on your next trip, spend two days around Ridgway and Telluride. In my opinion, both of those areas are far superior to RMNP for scenery this time of year.

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

arcgang
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 11, 2012 13:29 |  #4

Thanks Steve.
When is the right time to go in the places you mentioned.
Also, would I get to see wild life in the areas you mentioned. I heard there is wildlife in rocky mountain. Just want to use my 100-400mm

smmokan wrote in post #14976902 (external link)
In Colorado, I wouldn't pick Rocky Mountain National Park for fall colors.... instead, spend some time around Aspen and Crested Butte. Then on your next trip, spend two days around Ridgway and Telluride. In my opinion, both of those areas are far superior to RMNP for scenery this time of year.

'Lenses fill my senses'
Gear list : Canon eos 60d, t2i, canon 50mm f1.8, canon 18-200mm, sigma 10-20mm f3.5, canon 100mm f2.8 L, canon 100-400mm L

arcgang
THREAD ­ STARTER
32 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 11, 2012 13:30 |  #5

Thank you for the detailed reply.

What is there to photograph in sequoia and kings canyon ? This is closer to LA so I may do it in any weekend. Can I find fall color there as well ?

Cali_PH wrote in post #14974575 (external link)
I've never been to Rocky Mountain, but I can list some of the highlights in the Eastern Sierras, as well as stop nice places between there and LA. There's a good variety of things to see.

Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, Bodie ghost town, Devil's Postpile, Death Valley (passed on way up & down), Patriarch Grove/Inyo National Forest, Alabama Hills.

Mono Lake - If you've never been, consider seeing this sooner rather than later. It was on the park closure list for this year because of the state budget issues, but I guess a last minute campaign saved it. Who knows about the future. Also, now that they stopped draining it to send water to LA, water levels are rising. Not sure what the rate is, but I'm assuming that means over time the tufas will get covered, at least partially.

Yosemite - A definite must-see, if you've never been. Tioga Pass and the eastern entrance should be open in early October.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon - These are south of Yosemite, but I'm not sure if there are entrances on the eastern side. But if you were very interested in seeing one or both, you could drive through Yosemite, and see them on the way up or back.

'Lenses fill my senses'

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 11, 2012 21:28 |  #6

smmokan wrote in post #14976902 (external link)

arcgang,

I second what Steve has said! Aspen/Crested Butte and Ouray/Telluride are superior to RMNP for fall colors! Traditionally, the best time to go is usually the last week of September or the first week of October. However, it's difficult to impossible to predict when mother nature will present the best fall colors. It's dependent on so many variables and quickly changing weather conditions can have a large impact. So your best bet is to target the middle range if you can and hope for the best.

Best of luck -- you're in for a fun trip either way you go!

Bryan

My Gear List

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
2,025 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 11, 2012 22:17 |  #7

Here is a thread on the colors in Colorado. (external link)

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,007 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rocky Mountain, CO or Eastern Sierra
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.