Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 10 Sep 2012 (Monday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

David Hobbie does night football

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,764 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 10, 2012 20:47 |  #16

agree on the end zone
Its like the lights are not on

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,764 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 10, 2012 20:52 |  #17

ElRay is right
Ive been around pros
Im a semi one maybe

All the fb pics look like day games on the link
unless I missed some

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash

tstowe
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 10, 2012 21:59 |  #18

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #14973737 (external link)
The removal of “red eye” from photographs is not permissible.

I'm not going to argue with you on this. I'll take your word on this...That being said, I understand why you wouldn't be allowed major changes to an image but I don't see why removing red eye would be considered a major change.

www.ToddStowe.com (external link)
www.TheTalon.SmugMug.c​om (external link)

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 10, 2012 22:33 |  #19

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #14974791 (external link)
Ah, good to know you're still that guy. Yes I read the post, yes he is shooting for himself and the school, yes in that instance it's not really a huge deal what you do as I've stated dozens of times on this board before in similar threads, and yes it's also good to point out the difference because there's plenty of people here who shoot for papers or want to someday so they could use that little tidbit of information that it's not always accepted, something think Hobby should have pointed out since he mentions his newspaper past a few times in the thread, and of course think I should have said to begin with and pointed out the differences as well, sorry it was a quick post as I took a break from working on a few things for a client, and yes this is a long run on sentence.

I looked at about 10 pages and would easily say 40% at least are night games. Most, especially in recent years, are not flash because of high ISO performance. However, point was nobody covers them for the AP is not true.

It's been asked a lot over the years, remember seeing one really good explanation on it out there at one point. Something about how it's just like your flash causing a reflection off a window or something like that - it actually happened, not a trick or something that is not seen like the camera created it internally, it's the blood reflecting so it was there. Be lying if said remembered the explanation exactly, but along those lines do believe.

You know eventually the camera will have a system to get rid of it entirely in body, then you have to wonder what happens with the guidelines if it's the camera doing it? Until then, night football prefer the flash away from the lens. He also has an interesting thread on strobing the entire field from a few years ago.

Ditto.

If you took the time to go through the AP link you put up, they are mostly state championship games or regional games, etc. Yes, it's good to know the rules. He probably didn't mention it because that's not who the thread is necessarily aimed at.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 11, 2012 02:05 |  #20

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #14974882 (external link)
Deja vu all over again, you still need to start reading before you reply...not like already stated that I looked through the pages (at least 10 but sorry wasn't counting so you could keep exact records), though I'm not sure why it matters they're playoffs, states, etc. photos mostly, are the kids no longer in high school if they reach playoffs? Also already stated not all images go through the site and there's a backend system that images can be picked up, i.e. they're not all on the site, if you'd read before replying this would be beneficial. /fin

I understand how the system works, no thanks to you. It matters because playoff games, etc. are obviously going to draw more interest, especially in a huge football state like Texas, etc.

It's amazing that we started out with a helpful thread about flash, I mentioned that red eye could be fixed and we've arrived at the point where you once again feel the need to flex whatever it is you're flexing. I know you can't resist the last word... so have at it, I'm out.

OP, sorry for whatever part I played in dragging the thread off topic. I guess I should have assumed we had a bunch of AP shooters in here and if I'd known that mentioning red-eye correction would lead us here, I would've never said a word, believe me.

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,764 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 11, 2012 08:35 |  #21

agree on OP elray

elrey2375
4,992 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 11, 2012 13:39 |  #22

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #14976942 (external link)
You truly are the definition of "doesn't get it", do love how you make things up and always have to try and take these little personal attacks, pretty much the only consistent thing you ever do considering how much you contradict yourself and don't seem to actually read what was written before you reply, oh well, always people willing to listen to horrible advice given by people who have no experience...to the ignore button.

Instead of fixing red-eye, prefer a style to not get it or at the very least minimize it, which is exactly what the first few responders were saying. The fix it in PhotoShop mentality posted is a bad one, even if just shooting for yourself IMPO, and of course has other ramifications as well once you start getting into publishing images. I guess it's good info to follow but bad to post it for others, least to one person that makes sense to tell people to do one thing while claiming you do the other.

I'm sorry, I can't let this go unchecked. I don't get it? It's like you're having a conversation with yourself. I didn't make anything up. You assume that everyone has to do things your way. If a dad wants to photograph his son playing football, why should he give two ****s if he uses flash and gets red eye on occasion?

Your last statement is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Not everyone is doing this in a professional setting. They will NEVER need to worry about AP rules. Yet, here you are, shoving it in their faces. I just thought it was a nice article about using flash for sports because I see MANY threads about that on here and here you come with your AP rules and your condescending attitude and it turns to crap.

Telling people to do one thing, while I claim to do another? Again, many threads on here about strobes and sports. I NEVER use strobes for sports, period. So it's not a claim, it's a fact. If someone isn't fortunate to have access or the ability to purchase the equipment that I do, at the very least, I thought it was a good thing to show them that it can be done with flash and done well. I really wish you would put me on your ignore list.

jdnan
450 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 11, 2012 15:32 |  #23

To MJ & Elray, you've both ruined this thread. I say this in all peace: both need to take a dose of humility and stop this kind of thing. I'm sure the OP gave up several posts ago. You argue like an old dysfunctional married couple. Nobody cares. Just stop.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback
editing OK

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,764 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 11, 2012 15:42 |  #24

yeah a lot is over my head
great shots of NAU and Illinois
but those guys play in big stadiums with great lights

as dumb as I am Id say those 2 shots were not at 1/200
but you know a lot more than me

but as well as you guys know photos
I know football like you guys know photos

I can tell wha a guard will pull
cover 1 vs cover 3
I can just about call plays at times

Now that the freeking pissing contest is over

post stuff that helps people

Its like going to a coaching clinic
Ive been to more coaching clinics than prob most of you have been to photo conventions
Ive heard great HS coaches College coaches and Pro coaches
there is a lot of stuff hs coaches cant do like the Pro's do
but its nice to learn what they do so we can learn

I read this board a lot and a lot of stuff yes goes over my head

Like this one

Originally Posted by burnet44
Can I do that with a 40D?

prob not?

It is mini/flex not the camera. You don't even need flex on rx side unless doing HSS. Plus II on Rx side with mini or flex on Tx side works. If using HSS like Clarence then you need flex on the rx side also.

I really have no clue what any of that is or even how it answers my question

Thats why I said put the flash under the lens as opposed to over it
Like the guys tripod above

Any way this isnt a pissing contest

I know you guys are better than me
which doesnt account for much since Im terrible

and if you think the testrosterone is bad here
LOL
get around football coaches

Ill keep reading stuff
even if it goes over my head

thanks to all for posting
it takes your time and trouble

Ill keep reading and shooting
I just wish it was more enjoyable

I actually had real fun at 2 games last week
finally got a decent setting 2 nights in a row
1/1000 2.8 iso 1000
so I didnt sppend all my time trying to find a decent one

I got to enjoy the game instead of spending all my time fing with the camera
Its easier to call plays when your not fing with the camera

sorry for the rant

Move along people
nothing to see here

"Negative Ghost Rider the Pattern is Full"

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 11, 2012 15:54 |  #25

jdnan wrote in post #14977796 (external link)
To MJ & Elray, you've both ruined this thread. I say this in all peace: both need to take a dose of humility and stop this kind of thing. I'm sure the OP gave up several posts ago. You argue like an old dysfunctional married couple. Nobody cares. Just stop.

Sorry, don't take well to bad advice and the BS this guy always pulls. Deleted mine, he apparently doesn't want to do the same so it can be cleaned up and get back to the good advice Dan and AZ were giving about different mounting than direct, ah well.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 11, 2012 22:05 |  #26

burnet44 wrote in post #14977843 (external link)
I read this board a lot and a lot of stuff yes goes over my head

Like this one

Originally Posted by burnet44
Can I do that with a 40D?

prob not?

It is mini/flex not the camera. You don't even need flex on rx side unless doing HSS. Plus II on Rx side with mini or flex on Tx side works. If using HSS like Clarence then you need flex on the rx side also.

I really have no clue what any of that is or even how it answers my question

Translation:

"Mini": PocketWizard MiniTT1 transmitter. Fits in the hotshoe of your camera.

IMAGE: http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/images/TT1-N_thumb.jpg

"Flex": PocketWizard FlexTT5 receiver. Each speedlite attaches to the receiver. (You can also use it as a transmitter instead of the Mini. It's larger, but it's nice to be able to use the same units as a spare, plus they use standard AA batteries instead of a large button battery like the Mini)
IMAGE: http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/images/TT5-N_thumb.jpg

"rx": receiver; i.e. the unit attached to the speedlite.

"HSS": High Speed Sync. This usually means Canon's method of pulsing the light (instead of a quick strobe pop), so you can use your flash above the camera's x-sync limit (which is usually 1/250" [1/200" on 5D2 and Rebels; 1/320" on 1D3]). HSS Pulsing works more like a constant light, adding to ambient, and you can use any shutter speed. But you get a lot less light output.

Pocketwizard Flex/Mini system (called ControlTL) tweaks the timing of the sync speeds, called HyperSync, which allows you to shoot at shutter speeds faster than the default xsync and still get 100% flash power before having to switch to HSS pulsing (which gives less light power than the regular strobe pop). When shooting above that shutter speed, it will automatically switch to pulsing. The hypersync pulsing is a lot more efficient than standard Canon HSS pulsing. With my Canon 1D3, it's 1.68 stops more efficient. That's significant.

"Plus II": PocketWizard Plus II was the previous model...
IMAGE: http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/images/PW-P-TR_thumb.jpg
Very popular because it is also RF (Radio Frequency), instead of relying on optical flash coding like the default Canon Master/Slave system. You get more range with RF. But the Plus II doesn't have HSS, Hypersync, or ETTL like the Flex/Mini.

"Plus II on Rx side with mini or flex on Tx side": you can use the older Plus II as a receiver (on the speedlite or strobe) with the flex/mini as a transmitter. You don't get ETTL or HSS, but you'll still get the timing tweaks so you can shoot at shutter speeds above default xsync.

"Can I do that with a 40D?"

Yes. You can use the PW Flex/Mini with the 40D. But I have to warn you, it adds up quickly... the mini sells for about $199 (usually $150-160 used). The Flex sells for $229 (usually $175-190 used). Speedlites with HSS capability (e.g., 420EX, 430EX, 430EXII, 550EX, 580EX, 580EXII) sell for $150-$350 each.

Like the others have said, work on improving you timing, focus, and exposure, and PP skills with daylight sports before diving into flashed sports. You end up having to work with 2 exposures, and they have to both be spot on, plus balanced with each other.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

Sam6644
691 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 11, 2012 22:07 |  #27

elrey2375 wrote in post #14973797 (external link)
I'm not sure anyone is shooting high school football for the AP. :rolleyes:

You'd be surprised.

The New York Times was at one of the games I covered for work two weeks ago.

my site (very outdated at this point) (external link)
Follow on Facebook for more regular updates (external link)
and and twitter (external link)
and instagram, too. (external link)
my blog (external link)

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,764 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 11, 2012 22:44 |  #28

thanks Clarence I owe ya
outstanding

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 12, 2012 20:58 |  #29

What's the point of the last shot 44? Daytime football was not the topic.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 12, 2012 21:14 |  #30

ChunkyDA wrote in post #14983600 (external link)
What's the point of the last shot 44? Daytime football was not the topic.

I think it was in response to my comment... "work on improving your timing, focus, and exposure, and PP skills with daylight sports before diving into flashed sports"

It's by far the best shot he's posted.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
David Hobbie does night football
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.