Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 10 Sep 2012 (Monday) 10:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 focus/shutter button intermittent failure.

chris.dg
83 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 10, 2012 10:46 |  #1

Hello,

A couple of months ago I replaced my Canon 50D with a 5Dm3. My primary use lately has been relatively low-light (small club) rock concert photography...slightly better than dance floor lighting perhaps. No flash.

I'm using the 24-70 f2.8L almost exclusively, wide-open, high ISO, and typically about 5 feet from the nearest subject. In these conditions, grabbing focus on a contrasty area (performer's face, guitar, etc) can be a bit of a challenge - i achieve focus on maybe 65% of the time upon half-shutter press, the rest of the time, no focus, no actuation. Although I was hoping for better performance, that's not the problem I am worried about... a few times per night when I am trying to find a focus point and failing to do so in a fairly rapid-fire series of attempts, the shutter-button will simply "lock up" and not allow me to grab focus on anything, anywhere. The button simply dies. I am forced to restart the camera. After restart it will go back to it's "normal, but still disappointing self" and then eventually fail again at some point.

Anyone else experiencing this type of behavior with a 5D3? Does it sound like I'm doing anything wrong?

For AF mode, I have tried "One Shot" "AI Focus" and occasionally "AI Servo" (with Case 1 and Case 3). For point selection method, I have tried the various Spot-AF, Expanded-Spot AF, and Surround-Spot AF settings. Metering is tied to focus point. None of this seems to change the situation. When in One-Shot mode, I do have the camera set to Focus Priority over Release Priority (cause I do want the subject to be in focus).

I will call Canon soon, just wanted some of your insight.

Thank you.

-Chris
5DmIII: 50 f1.2L, 16-35 f2.8L, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 MarkII f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/cdgimagery (external link)
http://www.cdgimagery.​com/ (external link)
http://bammagazine.com (external link)

sponsored links
tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 11, 2012 14:54 |  #2

So early on when I got the 5D3, I mentioned in another post a similar issue. It usually happened after the camera had went to sleep. I would pull up my camera, half press the shutter button, it would wake up, then I would put it to my eye and compose my shot and then when I half pressed the shutter button to focus, it wouldn't engage the AF. I would try hitting the back button focus and it still wouldn't work. I could fix it by switching the camera off then on again real quick. This would happen to me once in a blue moon.

However, it has since been several months since I've had it happen to me again. Not sure why.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 11, 2012 15:20 |  #3

I know you are having problems with your 5D3, but I had similar problems with my 40D and maybe it might apply to you. When my camera was brand new, I had a similar problem, over the span of 1-1/2 years I took my 40D to Canon CS 3 times and they could never duplicate the problem, finally on the 4th trip to Canon the problem happened while the CS rep was manipulating my camera, and he wrote it up and they kept it and fixed it. They replaced a card in the body. The thing is I did an internet search and found that other people were having the same problem. Before my camera locked up for the tech rep, they wouldn't even acknowledge the problem.

Regards,

Rick

chris.dg wrote in post #14971786 (external link)
Hello,

a few times per night when I am trying to find a focus point and failing to do so in a fairly rapid-fire series of attempts, the shutter-button will simply "lock up" and not allow me to grab focus on anything, anywhere. The button simply dies. I am forced to restart the camera. After restart it will go back to it's "normal, but still disappointing self" and then eventually fail again at some point.

Anyone else experiencing this type of behavior with a 5D3? Does it sound like I'm doing anything wrong?

I will call Canon soon, just wanted some of your insight.

Thank you.

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 11, 2012 15:49 |  #4

alazgr8 wrote in post #14977743 (external link)
I know you are having problems with your 5D3, but I had similar problems with my 40D and maybe it might apply to you. When my camera was brand new, I had a similar problem, over the span of 1-1/2 years I took my 40D to Canon CS 3 times and they could never duplicate the problem, finally on the 4th trip to Canon the problem happened while the CS rep was manipulating my camera, and he wrote it up and they kept it and fixed it. They replaced a card in the body. The thing is I did an internet search and found that other people were having the same problem. Before my camera locked up for the tech rep, they wouldn't even acknowledge the problem.

Regards,

Rick

It happened to me a couple of time with my 7D usually when trying to achieve focus in low light but when pointed to a good contast point the button was dead and had to off/on the cam but never send it for repair

Pingman
417 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 11, 2012 16:51 |  #5

When it dies, have you tried and just turn off the AF on the lens to see what happens? Although I see you use one lens as a primary, has it happened to any other of your other lenses? I am concerned as well since I just upgraded to a Mark III.

(Gear & Feedback)

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 11, 2012 17:08 |  #6

Pingman wrote in post #14978125 (external link)
Whe it dies, have you tried and just turn off the AF on the lens to see what happens? Although I see you use one lens as a primary, has it happened to any other of your other lenses? I am concerned as well since I just upgraded to a Mark III.

I did try switching off the AF on the lens and switching it back on when it happened to me. I thought I had accidentally turned it off on the lens. It didn't help. just turning the camera off then back on again got it working. Thinking back to it, I think it only ever happened on my 24-70.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

chris.dg
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 11, 2012 18:02 |  #7

Pingman wrote in post #14978125 (external link)
Whe it dies, have you tried and just turn off the AF on the lens to see what happens? Although I see you use one lens as a primary, has it happened to any other of your other lenses? I am concerned as well since I just upgraded to a Mark III.

I have not tried turning the AF on and off on the lens. I will try that next time...but I suspect it won't work, since nothing else has worked (except for rebooting the camera).

During concerts, the only other lens I use sparingly is the 70-200 f2.8L (maybe 1% of the time), and I don't recall this problem happening with that lens. I'll keep an eye out for that.

So, perhaps the problem is limited to the 24-70 and perhaps even further aggravated by the 2.8 aperture (which is again 99% of the time due to low light). Some people are telling me that low light AF can cause AF errors...to what extent I do not know.

ABOUT THE LESSER PROBLEM: Some other wedding studio "experts" in another forum are telling me that the focus hesitation (low focus lock rate) I am also experiencing is due to the fact that the 5D3 has excellent low light focusing capability, but at the trade-off of having to wait X number of milliseconds longer (if at all) than the 5D2 which will focus more quickly, but less accurately in low light. So maybe some truth to that, not sure.

if you click here, you can see the type of stage lighting I am usually dealing with (red, green and sometimes white LED lighting). Almost every photo is wide open at ISO 6400 to 25,600.

-Chris
5DmIII: 50 f1.2L, 16-35 f2.8L, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 MarkII f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L
http://www.cdgimagery.​com/ (external link)
http://bammagazine.com (external link)

Pingman
417 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 11, 2012 18:57 |  #8

Check this thread out.
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1163916

(Gear & Feedback)

sponsored links

2,458 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 focus/shutter button intermittent failure.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.