Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 16:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is DOF greater on larger sensors?

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 11, 2012 20:24 |  #16

TooManyShots wrote in post #14978768 (external link)
Longer lens or walk closer to the subject.

I initially wrote it that way, but moving closer to the subject would change the perspective and it would not be the same (some might even argue, not even similar). So I re-worded it to just "longer lens."

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 11, 2012 20:31 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

hairy_moth wrote in post #14978922 (external link)
I initially wrote it that way, but moving closer to the subject would change the perspective and it would not be the same (some might even argue, not even similar). So I re-worded it to just "longer lens."

The perspective shouldn't change much as long as you aren't talking about a wider focal length. Let's say you want to frame a full figure shot using an 85mm lens on both 1.6x body and a full frame or a medium format. Is obvious that with a 1.6x crop body you have to stand back a bit far to frame the entire full figure. Whereas on the full frame and medium format, you don't have to. In fact, you may need to walk up closer to the subject to fill up the frame.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 11, 2012 20:46 |  #18

TooManyShots wrote in post #14978955 (external link)
The perspective shouldn't change much as long as you aren't talking about a wider focal length.

I don't know, I think you are coming dangerously close to be told to look at the bear's feet! :)

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 11, 2012 20:52 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

hairy_moth wrote in post #14979018 (external link)
I don't know, I think you are coming dangerously close to be told to look at the bear's feet! :)

Well, I don't care. I always like full frame anyway.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 11, 2012 20:59 |  #20

TooManyShots wrote in post #14978955 (external link)
The perspective shouldn't change much as long as you aren't talking about a wider focal length. .

Focal length does not change perspective.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

borealis
257 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 11, 2012 21:25 |  #21

DEAR LORD, MAKE THIS STOP!

"There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas." - Godard
... go play...

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 12, 2012 06:11 |  #22

I think some of you are discussing whether the projected image onto the sensor changes in any way when the size of the sensor changes. Of course it does not. The lens is blind to whether you are using a 5D or a 500D.

What we should be discussing, do to help the OP understand the 'why' behind the differences in DOF between FF and crop, is how the principal and incident light rays behave when they enter a lens.

Once the OP sees this visually, I think he/she will understand why subject distance affects DOF. Cambridge in Colour shows this here: http://www.cambridgein​colour.com/tutorials/d​epth-of-field.htm (external link). Canon's Lens Work III has many great diagrams about this - chapter 10 I believe.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 12, 2012 08:35 |  #23

Ok here it is, in a nutshell.

In the forumla for calculating hyperfocal distance (external link), the focal length is squared. Because of this, changing the focal length in the calculation has an exponential affect on hyperfocal distance. The circle of confusion size (determined by the amount of magnification) is in the denominator and only used once (not squared). Hyperfocal distance is used to calculate DOF.

So...
When you switch to a larger camera format, and increase focal length to obtain the same field of view, the larger focal length will tend to decrease DOF, while the larger format will tend to increase DOF (larger format = less magnification = larger circle of confusion). But since the focal length is squared in the equation, the combination of these changes results in a greater hyperfocal distance (and hence a smaller DOF).

There's a short piece on DOF vs. format size here:
http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Depth_of_field (external link)

And if you understand this, you understand why consumers who graduate from a P&S to a DSLR often get frustrated. The short focal lengths used with the tiny sensor of a P&S camera give you a lot of DOF. Because of this, focus accuracy is less critical and as long as you focus on something in the same zip code as your subject, you'll be fine. With the longer focal lengths common to a DSLR, the shallow DOF requires more careful and accurate focusing for good results.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

goldboughtrue
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 12, 2012 11:26 as a reply to  @ Curtis N's post |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, I understand now. Because a longer lens is needed on a larger sensor to get the same perspective as a smaller sensor, then the background appears more out of focus.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 12, 2012 11:30 |  #25

goldboughtrue wrote in post #14981421 (external link)
Yes, I understand now. Because a longer lens is needed on a larger sensor to get the same perspective as a smaller sensor, then the background appears more out of focus.

Correct except for the perspective thing. You need the longer lens to get the same field of view. Getting the same perspective happens because you are able to stay in the same spot.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Sep 12, 2012 11:31 |  #26

goldboughtrue wrote in post #14981421 (external link)

A tidbit for you: Perspective (the relative sizes of objects in the scene which are at different distances from the camera or your eye) is not affected by focal length. Perspective is affected only by the distances between the camera and the various elements of the scene.

That said, I suspect that you really meant "field of view" instead of "perspective". The two are radically different and field of view is, of course, affected by focal length choice as well as the camera format (size of film frame or sensor in the camera).

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

goldboughtrue
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 12, 2012 15:59 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

SkipD wrote in post #14981449 (external link)
That said, I suspect that you really meant "field of view" instead of "perspective". The two are radically different and field of view is, of course, affected by focal length choice as well as the camera format (size of film frame or sensor in the camera).

You're correct. I meant field of view. I guess I'm not current on all the right terms.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

sponsored links

4,533 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why is DOF greater on larger sensors?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.