Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 10:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

amazon begins charging tax (CA) - where to now??

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,853 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 05, 2012 12:29 |  #31

mikeinctown wrote in post #14950529 (external link)
That's the problem with government. they think it's their money. The money he saved by not paying sales tax on a $6,000 camera will most likely be spent at local businesses, generating sales taxes there, income taxes, property taxes, and a multitude of other taxes that the business and employees pay. Maybe this is why I like buying used gear from others.

that's the problem with the typical citizen...thinking that the money to keep roads repaired, to pay for schools and teachers salaries, that pays for police and fire department protection, that pays for the sewer systems to be maintained...comes from Heaven.

If state sales tax was 5%, then spending $1000 in out of state web order theoretically saves $50, which can be spent locally, so the state nets 5% sales tax on $50 spent locally, or $2.50 instead of $50, per the above logic.

"Gimme services, but I don't want to pay taxes!"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,106 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 05, 2012 13:31 |  #32

If people have more money to spend on Cameras, flashes, prints, etc, then more revenue will be generated from those purchases. More money being put into the system = more stores from where to purchase = more employees = more tax paying citizens and businesses = higher revenue. the more one has to pay in taxes, the less he has to spend on stuff like cameras, lenses, etc and the people that count on that business suffer. They have less to spend and everything snowballs.

As to the poster before who said yes, it is the government's money... <smack> I think you know what was implied. (the product of one's labor, expressed in a common value)

I'm very sorry if I crossed the line into politics and away from actual camera gear.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 05, 2012 14:08 |  #33

And all the money spent by governments simply goes into a black hole never to be seen again? When everyone is avoiding as many taxes as they can that governments use to raise funds, exactly when does some of that money get shifted over to pay teachers, law enforcement, and public works employees who would like to have an income so they can buy things like cameras and such?

The state is taxing you, and you should be happy that online retailers and now saving you having to track a bunch of paperwork. Rejoice!

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 07, 2012 21:56 |  #34

Wilt wrote in post #14951085 (external link)
that's the problem with the typical citizen...thinking that the money to keep roads repaired, to pay for schools and teachers salaries, that pays for police and fire department protection, that pays for the sewer systems to be maintained...comes from Heaven.

Exactly. Private businesses are not going out and building roads and bridges - they don't build that. Government builds that! ;) Because citizens can't. Well they could but the results would be disastrous!

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Sep 07, 2012 22:39 |  #35

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #14962277 (external link)
Exactly. Private businesses are not going out and building roads and bridges - they don't build that. Government builds that! ;) Because citizens can't. Well they could but the results would be disastrous!

Actually theres a lot of PPP in the infrastructure arena these days. Both public and private money to provide our roads and bridges.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

biodan
35 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 08, 2012 19:26 |  #36

Part of the reason for why Amazon is charging sales tax is due to their changing business model. Their intention is to have warehouses in every state and particularly most large metropolitan areas. This will allow them to deliver most products within a day or so; hence negating an 'advantage' of brick and mortar stores. In the Seattle area, one can order in the morning and receive the product the same day.

Their plan also includes having internet-connected kiosks at convenient locations that will hold boxes up to a reasonable size; similar to RedBox locations. Once the purchase is executed and a location specified, the kiosk can be authorized to dispense the item to the buyer who has been given a code. For items that aren't pre-stocked in the kiosk, obviously one has to wait for a truck to stock the particular kiosk. This way, Amazon cuts down shipping costs.

Canon: 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark III,
600mm F4 version2, 300 f2.8 IS, 100-400 f4, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 24 T/S II, 90 T/S, 16-35 f2.8 II, 1.4x III ...
M4/3: OM EM-1, 20 f1.7, 14 f2.5, 12-40 f2.8, 25 f1.4, 7-14 f4

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 09, 2012 20:22 |  #37

biodan wrote in post #14965430 (external link)
Their plan also includes having internet-connected kiosks at convenient locations that will hold boxes up to a reasonable size; similar to RedBox locations. Once the purchase is executed and a location specified, the kiosk can be authorized to dispense the item to the buyer who has been given a code. For items that aren't pre-stocked in the kiosk, obviously one has to wait for a truck to stock the particular kiosk. This way, Amazon cuts down shipping costs.

Unless I already have a plan to be walking by that kiosk anyway, I see this as zero advantage from buying at a regular B&M store (all other things such as price being equal).

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 09, 2012 20:23 |  #38

I'd be willing to bet that at least half the people that are piously rattling on about paying a state's "use tax", don't.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 10, 2012 12:01 |  #39

biodan wrote in post #14965430 (external link)
Part of the reason for why Amazon is charging sales tax is due to their changing business model. Their intention is to have warehouses in every state and particularly most large metropolitan areas. This will allow them to deliver most products within a day or so; hence negating an 'advantage' of brick and mortar stores. In the Seattle area, one can order in the morning and receive the product the same day.

photoguy6405 wrote in post #14969503 (external link)
Unless I already have a plan to be walking by that kiosk anyway, I see this as zero advantage from buying at a regular B&M store (all other things such as price being equal).

These vending machines are extremely popular at airports and public transportation facilities where the inevitably a tourist traveler has forgotten memory cards or their WHOLE camera and needs one on the spot without having to go searching for a suitable B&M.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Moose408
884 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 10, 2012 12:21 |  #40

photoguy6405 wrote in post #14969506 (external link)
I'd be willing to bet that at least half the people that are piously rattling on about paying a state's "use tax", don't.

Which is exactly why CA has been going after the online retailers, to force people to pay what is due. Because it's easier to police a couple hundred retailers than 20M people.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blog (external link) | 500px (external link) | Model Mayhem (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 10, 2012 16:01 |  #41

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #14972116 (external link)
These vending machines are extremely popular at airports and public transportation facilities where the inevitably a tourist traveler has forgotten memory cards or their WHOLE camera and needs one on the spot without having to go searching for a suitable B&M.

For that kind of thing I totally see the point.

But, if I'm sitting at home, going to to go to Ma & Pa Photo, or going to an Amazon kiosk, is a wash. To be honest, if it's a wash, I'd just as soon give Ma & Pa my business. All other things being equal, such as price and Ma & Pa being nice people, of course.

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 11, 2012 08:40 |  #42

Not me.

Lets say I wanted to buy a Canon G1X. local brick and motar has it for $1000
but the amazon kiosk at the mall has it for $800.

I'm going to that kiosk to save $200. I'm all for helping small business maintain a customer base and stay in business but clearly over charging for things is no way to win my loyalty to your store.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 11, 2012 09:21 |  #43

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #14976137 (external link)
Not me.

Lets say I wanted to buy a Canon G1X. local brick and motar has it for $1000
but the amazon kiosk at the mall has it for $800.

I'm going to that kiosk to save $200. I'm all for helping small business maintain a customer base and stay in business but clearly over charging for things is no way to win my loyalty to your store.

Me too, I like dealing with Amazon. They have great customer service, we've been buying from them since 1998 and they continue to get better. It's the first place I look for something.

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 12, 2012 00:22 |  #44

rick_reno wrote in post #14936868 (external link)
Move to Oregom, no sales tax there

But property tax in CA is 1.2% and in Oregon 3.5%, I was told.

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 12, 2012 00:28 |  #45

It is not only the sales tax. Outside Ca companies who only have warehouses are able to operate a lot cheaper. Example: I need a toner for my Brother printer. In the local Ca stores the cost is between $60 and $70 and on top the sales tax of 9.75%
I just ordered and received from Amazon the same toner for $45.72. Even with sales tax it is still cheaper than the local Ca stores.

sponsored links

11,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
amazon begins charging tax (CA) - where to now??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.