Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Sep 2012 (Wednesday) 12:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Requests

Lancef
76 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 12, 2012 12:45 |  #1

I take photos on a weekly basis at a local race track on Saturday nights. I do not get paid for this as I'm using it for experience and the race track is broke, hard times.

I give my images to the racetrack to use on their website, the weekly programme, the local newspaper and low-res images to other race sites that cover the action.

I've been asked by one of the race sites that cover the action to supply some photos and I quote.

"Hey Lance,
I could use photos on a regular basis if you're able to supply them. I
receive them with Ryan's press releases, but at low-res and my efforts
to get high-res versions haven't been successful.
If you could zip 8-10 shots together (at full size) and send them to me
via www.xxxxx.com (external link) (to xxxx@xxxxx.com (external link)) that would be a huge
help. Regular action shots featuring relevant racers, all classes in
action, plus some victory lane... that would be ideal.
Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks! "

I'm not sure how to proceed. I've been taking pictures for a while now but this stuff of selling pictures and what not is new to me so any help on this one would be appreciated as well.

Canon 5D Mark iii 24-105 F/4 iS, 55 F/1.2,Sigma 70-200 2.8
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 12, 2012 13:52 |  #2

First I'd make sure he is even willing to pay. Sounds like he likes getting the low-res files for free, and has been trying for a while now to get the high-res for free, too.

Lancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 12, 2012 15:16 |  #3

mirrorrim wrote in post #14981995 (external link)
First I'd make sure he is even willing to pay. Sounds like he likes getting the low-res files for free, and has been trying for a while now to get the high-res for free, too.

Yeah, he's been getting the low-res images for each weekend race to write story's on his race site.

Yeah I need to ask him that first and foremost if he's willing to pay and why he wants high-res. No need for high-res unless he's wanting to print them.

Flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,003 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 12, 2012 15:47 |  #4

Just ask him what he was thinking of paying for the hi-res images, as if you just assumed that he was intending to pay for them.
ANd be sure to mention that he doesn't need to give your name as a credit under the photos, as you aren't interested in credits.
Seems they always want to offer you a "credit" in place of payment. Unfortunately, credits are pointless . . . money is not.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2012 16:12 |  #5

Ask him what is "his budget" - nice, non-threatening way and shows that you are willing to work with him on a price.

johnward82
147 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 12, 2012 16:31 |  #6

Speaking from my personal experience in the local music scene, this exact situation will be met with a dial tone as soon as you mention money.
They arent looking to pay, they are looking for an increase to their already free handout.
Free free and more free.

www.bigjohnsphotograph​y.com (external link)

sonofjesse
687 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 12, 2012 16:37 |  #7

I would email him back and say you would love to talk to him about that and that you have very high quality images. Here is my number xxxx and I'll be looking forward to your call.

But i'm afraid the other people might be right, most people think photography is "Free" meaning it don't cost you to shoot digital. I really believe thats what they think, cause thats how most everybody acts.

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

JCarbonePhotography
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 12, 2012 18:35 as a reply to  @ sonofjesse's post |  #8

But i'm afraid the other people might be right, most people think photography is "Free" meaning it don't cost you to shoot digital. I really believe thats what they think, cause thats how most everybody acts.

So true

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,424 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 12, 2012 19:57 as a reply to  @ JCarbonePhotography's post |  #9

Doing work for free is a great way to build a portfolio and reputation... as the guy who works for free. Breaking out of that and getting paid can be tough.

I would suggest the best way to do it is to send a friendly email saying that...
"you are happy that he likes the image being supplied with the press releases and you would be happy to send him the same low res images directly. You would also be happy to supply high res images but there would be a charge for those (which would depend on how they intend to use them). If they would like to discuss call you on xxx xxxx."

In all likelihood they won't pay but at least you have set down a threshold above which payment is expected, but not destroyed the relationship as you are offering to send the low res files directly on a regular basis.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Lancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 13, 2012 10:23 |  #10

I think you guys are right, he wants free stuff and more free stuff.

I emailed him and asked him what he wanted the photos for and this was his response.

"Hey Lance,
The images would be for editorial use in the magazine only.
I will use low-res versions of the ones supplied by Ryan if I need
something from there.
If there is ever a need to use them for other purposes (ads), we will
let you know in advance and get your permission.
If anyone contacts us asking to acquire one of your images, we will
direct them to you to deal with that person.
Thanks for getting back to me."

I did some research on his website and they sell magazines, I have no idea how many they sell but the price per magazine is $6.00

I guess it's time to say that if you want high-res to use in your magazine you'll need to pay me.\

"But i'm afraid the other people might be right, most people think photography is "Free" meaning it don't cost you to shoot digital. I really believe thats what they think, cause thats how most everybody acts."

So true, I've run in to this a few times and it makes me cry a little. Especially when I pony up thousands of dollars in equipment and countless hours working on my craft to better my skills.

Flickr (external link)

sonofjesse
687 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 13, 2012 20:55 |  #11

I wouldn't let him publish any of my pics in a magazine, unless he paid for that. The website is one thing, but a magazine, where they sell it for MONEY. They need to pay you for the pictures or find a new "FREE" Photographer.

FeedBack
Feedback 2
Feedback 3
Feedback 4
Feedback 5

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 13, 2012 21:20 |  #12

It's tough to sell stuff you photographed just for the heck of it, which is clearly what you're doing.

This guy doesn't need high resolution files if he's just running a website. Now, if he's getting highly compressed images that look like garbage...well that's a different story. Maybe he wants the same size or slightly bigger with less compression. Either way he should be thankful he's getting anything at no cost to him at all.

I started out doing what you did but when the main guy lost a camera to all the dust, I quit going. Sure, I sold a few prints, but it certainly didn't pay for a new camera.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,886 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 13, 2012 21:49 |  #13

Lancef wrote in post #14985684 (external link)
I did some research on his website and they sell magazines, I have no idea how many they sell but the price per magazine is $6.00

I guess it's time to say that if you want high-res to use in your magazine you'll need to pay me.\

I agree. He gets paid, & you should too.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Lancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 13, 2012 21:58 |  #14

This is paved oval, no dirt which is nice. My friend does paintball (gets good money) and he's trashed 2 lens's and a camera.

I emailed the guy today saying he's welcome to license my high res pictures for his magazine and he can only use my low-res for his website, nothing else. just waiting on a response now.

Flickr (external link)

Lancef
THREAD ­ STARTER
76 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2012 14:18 |  #15

Update:

"That sounds perfect Lance... thank you!
Have a good weekend."

That sounds too good, maybe he's being nice hehe.

Thanks for all the support everyone.

Cheers.

Lance.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,553 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photo Requests
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.