Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 14:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Distinguishing want from need?

kasey
191 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 11, 2012 02:38 |  #46

What are you guys talking about?

Of course everyone needs what they bought. Of course when they buy a 458 Italia, they need it. When they bought a 100 million yacht, its all because of need!

sponsored links
frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 11, 2012 03:18 |  #47

TSchrief wrote in post #14968248 (external link)
I wanted to start a new thread with this because replying to someone else's posting with this would seem a bit rude, I believe.

I have seen a lot of OPs ask a question about this or that body, and whether it would be worth it to upgrade. Invariably the differences between the models and a lot of personal preferences are listed. That is normal.

Here is the part I simply do not understand. In most of these threads, someone will invariably ask something like, "What feature is lacking on your current body?" Or "Are you sure you are pushing your current equipment to the limit?" While these are valid questions, how many people do they really apply to? If you are an extremely creative professional and absolutely NEED this or that feature, fine. My belief is that this simply does not apply to 99% of people who own and use a camera, of any kind.

I have been taking pictures since the 1960s. I got my first bridge camera (Panasonic DMC-FZ8, I miss it) about 10 years ago and moved to DSLR in 2009. None of those 'upgrades' were based on need. To even ask the question about pushing the limits seems, to me, to be putting way too much emphasis on the technical and logical for most people. Don't most of us upgraded because we WANT to? I wanted a rear control wheel, auto ISO and flash commander, so I bought a 60D. I didn't need any of that stuff. Nobody pays me for my photography, which I am sure is true about most people on POTN.

Putting this kind of emphasis on the technical/logical process of photography seems antithetical. Isn't this an art form? A creative, emotional endeavor, meant so satisfy the creator as much as the viewer? Does any other upgrade in our lives get this kind of technical analysis? My feeling is that upgrading anything in your life should be because you WANT something better, however you perceive better. How many people get the test-track specs before buying a new car? Close to none, I bet. You get the car you WANT based mostly on emotion.

I bought a Kimber .45 ACP because it felt good in my hands. Not a cop. Don't even carry a gun. But I do like shooting and I wanted a new toy. Same thing applies to photography. I have already outlined my photographic skills and needs. With that in mind, I will be buying a 5D3+24-105 kit when I retire in March. Why? Because I want one. What is wrong with that? Without lots of people buying stuff they don't really need, wouldn't Canon go out of business?

I understand what you are saying. In those cases that people try to deter users asking about an upgrade, I think it comes down to their different perspectives. For one person, dishing out double the money for a camera that gives them a 10% gain in IQ and saves them 50% time in post makes no sense. For example, this person may have lots of time on their hands and very little money. For the other, who has lots of money but little time, it makes perfect sense. People have such considerations, and it is easy to forget that not everyone evaluates these considerations the same way. So I understand why people, with the idea that they are helping to prevent you from not squandering your hard-earned money needlessly, tell you not to buy that Canon 5D3.

dino8031
849 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 11, 2012 09:44 as a reply to  @ frugivore's post |  #48

It's fun to buy new cool stuff. What difference does it make if you need it or not?

If you can afford it, buy it.

It's only money and you only live once. Enjoy your life.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 11, 2012 10:04 |  #49

Need is an accurate description when it comes to defining the tools necessary to accomplish one's goals. If I have a goal of catching multiple shots of my daughter in color-guard tossing and catching a triple with her rifle while in a performance, then a 7D could easily be defined as a "need" to accomplish that goal. If I have a goal to make really big prints and sell them in a gallery and my goal is to maximize my chances of selling, then a 5DIII may very well be a need as well. If one has a goal to entertain guests in positions of power and influence, a big yacht may be considered a need.

Need is directly related to the goals one wants to accomplish. The goals on the other hand are usually a matter of want and it isn't anyone's business to judge the objective value of them.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

mcoomer
225 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 11, 2012 15:36 |  #50

Laramie wrote in post #14968748 (external link)
If you want something, and have the money for it..."need" magically disappears. :-)

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

I don't need a 5D2. Don't need my motorcycle, mountain bikes, road bike, reef aquariums, fly fishing gear, computer, laptop, 53" TV. I wanted them all and since I wasn't paying with the rent money I bought them. Get what you want, cause unless your Buddhist you only get to live once. Might as well have fun while you're here.

Mike

Gripped 5D2, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 580EXII

Logicus
787 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 11, 2012 15:40 |  #51

You'll be hard-pressed convincing me I don't "need" a 5DMkIII!

;)

My Gear List
My flickr (external link)
My flickr photos organized by Lens Used (external link)

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 11, 2012 16:23 |  #52
bannedPermanent ban

Logicus wrote in post #14977829 (external link)
You'll be hard-pressed convincing me I don't "need" a 5DMkIII!

;)

Exactly. I want a full-frame Canon digital camera. I don't want one with lesser AF abilities than my 60D. I can't afford a 1DX. That only leaves the 5D3, which is exactly what I need. Until something significantly better comes out.

Gear List

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2012 09:16 as a reply to  @ TSchrief's post |  #53

I used a 300D for quite a few years (in the digital timescale) and was perfectly happy with it. For personal use, kicking around at work (I'm a biologist) and making prints for th walls it was great.

I got into stock photography (still dabble really) and the rebel worked great. But then I hit some walls. I found that the frame rate was legitimately too slow for some subjects, the autofocus made other subjects a total hit and miss venture. Noise above iso 100 was causing rejections by stock reviewers and some Rights managed sites had a minimum file size that was significantly greater than the 300D could manage. I also wanted to start using off camera flash (studio lights and speedlites) and doing so with the rebel would have required investing in a radiotransmitter.

At that point I decised that I NEEDED to upgrade. I fought the urge to buy the latest and greatest newest wizzbang on the block for a long time. I wondered at how so many people could upgrade based on slight increases in resolution/sensor performance.

Did a bit of research (like for a year) and bought a 7D. Couldn't be happier (certainly in a "bang for the buck" sense). I timed my upgrade well and in the process didn't waste a lot of money on intermediate "solutions".

I upgraded when I needed to and was glad I did.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 12, 2012 09:23 as a reply to  @ Copidosoma's post |  #54

And for those who are advocating the "if you have the money then you should just get it" line, there is this thing called opportunity cost. You could have probably done something with that money that actually addressed a true "need" and made a bigger increase in your (or, gasp, someone else's) quality of life.

The world is full of people who complain about how they have so little money left over after paying the bills and how "poor" they are but they are surrounded by expensive garbage that they thought they needed.

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 12, 2012 16:34 |  #55

I understand the term opportunity cost however I disagree with it's use in this want vs need discussion. Opportunity cost is part of the decision making process a company might employ to quantify the cost benefits of various capital expenditure directions a business might engage in. As far as this discussion, in a perfect world, only people who have satisfied their economic needs and have adequate discretionary funds would choose to spend the money to buy a 5D3 or make some other expensive purchase. Applying an opportunity cost analysis to this discussion is like saying I can afford to buy a new Mercedes, but I will buy a used Toyota and save/invest/donate the difference.

I agree with your statement; "The world is full of people who complain about how they have so little money..." I would only add that nothing can be done for those who are straddling a thin economic line and insist on adding a $3500 5D3 body and a $2500 L lens to their $90,000 credit card balance.

Regards,

Rick

Copidosoma wrote in post #14980938 (external link)
And for those who are advocating the "if you have the money then you should just get it" line, there is this thing called opportunity cost. You could have probably done something with that money that actually addressed a true "need" and made a bigger increase in your (or, gasp, someone else's) quality of life.

The world is full of people who complain about how they have so little money left over after paying the bills and how "poor" they are but they are surrounded by expensive garbage that they thought they needed.

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

jerbear00
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 13, 2012 13:02 |  #56

We all want.... Few really "need"

Welcome to the american dream

5d3 & Lens CoLLector
Gear List/Feedback

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 13, 2012 13:34 |  #57

Has anyone considered Canon's needs vs. wants in selling us all this gear?

:D

Joel

iTookMyShot
Goldmember
1,332 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 13, 2012 13:43 |  #58

If I want it, it sometimes becomes a need it... just a hobbiest ;o)

5D mkIV, 2x)7D mkII, 500 f4L IS mkII, 100-400L IS mkII, 70-200 2.8L IS mkII, 24-70 2.8L mkII, 16-35 2.8L mkIII, 100 2.8L IS, 600EX-RT x4

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,193 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 13, 2012 14:09 |  #59

The things you want you can't afford.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 13, 2012 18:31 |  #60

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14986476 (external link)
Has anyone considered Canon's needs vs. wants in selling us all this gear?

sure, Canon continuously wants my money, I want to upgrade with Canon's latest offering but it doesn't always happen

sponsored links

7,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
Distinguishing want from need?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.