Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 11 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 16:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beware of Get It Digital

Gold ­ Coast
38 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 11, 2012 16:40 |  #1

Looking at there web site Get It Digital they had some not so bad prices especially on Canon cameras which I am going to get pretty soon. After looking at all the Canon cameras I did not see the Canon USA warranty included. They say made for the USA market. Looking further they have warrantys you can buy that are expensive. I contacted them by E-Mail and asked about the Canon USA warranty and Joe there beat around the bush on 2 different E-mails that he would not confirm that all there Canon products come with the Canon USA warranty.
I called Canons main office and talked with a gentlemen named Scott about Get It Digital. He said they are NOT an authorized dealer and never had been. They operate out of an office and do not have a store front. There have been issues with that so called company even according to the BBB.
So buyer beware they do not service what they sell and are not a authorized Canon represenitive or dealer.
I would guess it the same for there Nikon cameras also.

sponsored links
jnaks
474 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 11, 2012 16:58 |  #2

This would have helped:

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …anonAuthorizedD​ealers.pdf (external link)

If you can read this, you don't need a macro | 7D + 5DIII + Waaaay too much spent....

lowrider
797 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 11, 2012 17:03 as a reply to  @ jnaks's post |  #3

Pretty good rating here:

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com …l_eBay_store_ge​titdigital (external link)

The user experience has been great according to Reseller Ratings. Can't do much better. Based on this, I certainly would buy from them.

Lou

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 11, 2012 17:57 |  #4

Lota times, i notice some of these sellers get their ratings bump from selling $2 usb cables etc...
Several months ago, i emailed them about their 5D3 listing on ebay. They had pic of 5D2 neck strap, soon after they removed the pic....so all in all, their listings look very pretty but i've now become wary of such sellers.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 11, 2012 18:10 |  #5

lowrider wrote in post #14978176 (external link)
Pretty good rating here:

The user experience has been great according to Reseller Ratings. Can't do much better. Based on this, I certainly would buy from them.

Lou

Lou,

Unfortunately, companies (or scrupulous companies in this case) know that Reseller Ratings can make or break a good portion of their sales, so they get on there and post fake reviews. Heck, there is even a company out there that you can hire to "boost" your ratings on Reseller Ratings dot com.

Fortunately, there's an easy way to see get a feel if the reviews are legit or not. Simply go to the reviews and start clicking on the user name of the person giving the review. You can see how many reviews they've posted on Reseller Ratings and when their last visit was. It only takes two minutes to click through a few dozen users and you'll quickly see if the reviews are legit. For example, the bulk of the reviews for Get It Digital are from someone with only one review and the last time they visited the website was when they made their first review. I know everybody has to make their first review at some point....but when you see that 99% of the company's reviews are like this, then it's pretty easy to root out the rotten eggs in the bunch.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

My Gear List

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 11, 2012 18:10 as a reply to  @ KHAWACHEN's post |  #6

Google their address.....It is located in a building that rents offices or cubicles out, and the building is for sale.

I checked them out for a friend a few months ago......

If it seems too good???????

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 12, 2012 01:27 |  #7

It's not Canon authorized dealer but doesn't mean it's a scam shop. They sell grey market items for cheaper and you do get what you are buying. Some people are OK with grey market stuff.

They have been doing business on eBay since forever ago with tons of positive feedbacks.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

intence01
144 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 12, 2012 02:24 |  #8

Grey market doesn't mean bad. Some companies are more upfront about it than others, just be prepared for the risk/reward proposition of saving some money up front if/when you have an issue.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 12, 2012 07:11 |  #9

HyperYagami & intence 01,

This issue seems to be surfacing a lot lately, most recently with the 5D Mark III deal with Big Value Inc through eBay. I agree, there can sometimes be great deals to be had on grey market items, however, the line is crossed when they advertise it as a USA version with a full warranty when in fact it is not. To me, that clearly crosses the line and is now more of a scam. If they would just be upfront and say that it was an imported version/grey market item, then it would be totally acceptable and people can make their own purchasing decision. Also, don't get me wrong...grey market items, especially with Canon, can be wonderful and it sounds like they might even be serviced by Canon USA if there is an issue in the first year. The real issue at hand is the deceit some of these companies are presenting. In my book, it just isn't right and I'll gladly stick to retailers that are upfront and honest in their advertising.

Bryan

My Gear List

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 12, 2012 10:09 |  #10

HyperYagami wrote in post #14980017 (external link)
It's not Canon authorized dealer but doesn't mean it's a scam shop. They sell grey market items for cheaper and you do get what you are buying. Some people are OK with grey market stuff.

They have been doing business on eBay since forever ago with tons of positive feedbacks.

I got sucked in by a really low price they had on a 5D3. The ad said it was a Canon USA model and had a Canon USA warranty, so I went for it.

Now, I have purchased dozens of cameras over the years, and already have 3 other 5D3's, I have even knowingly purchased grey market camera, so I know what the packaging looks like. This was clearly a grey market body... No warranty card, the books/manuals are different, the battery charger is different, they include a 3rd party cord with the battery charger so it works in the US, all of the menus in the camera set to international date/time format, CLEARLY not a US model.

So I send them an email stating that I'm pissed because they advertise it one way but it's not what they advertise. It was the weekend but I get a response that they'll call me Monday. In the meantime I call Canon and ask if there is a way I can be sure whether it's a US model or not... they actually tell me that theres no way to know, but if I buy it from a "reputable dealer" then it's fine.

So Monday came and sure enough a guy from Get It Digital called me - I actually missed the call and he kept following up. I finally talked to him, and he kind of admitted that the ad is misleading but Canon is pretty loose about the warranty coverage and it will probably be fine. Seriously. That said... he's kind of right, at least in my experience. They of course claim that if I should ever need warranty work and Canon won't do it, they'll cover it... which is not very reassuring. I needed the camera and have decided to keep it, but it still pisses me off that they lie about it.

This is a screen grab of the ad - pretty cut and dry, but it's bull****.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

lowrider
797 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2012 11:06 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #11

^^^^My question for you is, knowing what you now know, if the product and price were right, would you buy from them again?

Lou

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 12, 2012 17:58 |  #12

timnosenzo wrote in post #14981098 (external link)
I got sucked in by a really low price they had on a 5D3. The ad said it was a Canon USA model and had a Canon USA warranty, so I went for it.

yeah I do agree with you on that though. that's really false advertising.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Sep 12, 2012 19:07 |  #13

lowrider wrote in post #14981325 (external link)
^^^^My question for you is, knowing what you now know, if the product and price were right, would you buy from them again?

Lou

You know, if they just came out and said it's grey market then it would be fine, but the listing is flat out dishonest... and in my mind if they're dishonest about that, then they can be dishonest about anything. So no, I probably wouldn't.

I've purchased from DigitalRev before, knowing I was buying grey market and was fine with it, but at least they advertise it that way.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 13, 2012 20:06 |  #14

lowrider wrote in post #14978176 (external link)
Pretty good rating here:

Lou

Click on the reviewer profile - all reviews are written by people who wrote only one review on their first and only visit. Basically these reviews are fake.

lowrider
797 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 14, 2012 00:20 as a reply to  @ Kirill's post |  #15

^^^^OK, bps and you said the same thing, I get it:o But, there doesn't seem to be any negative reviews either.

Lou

sponsored links

1,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beware of Get It Digital
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.