Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 12:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Use a Cokin frame or not with the filter

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 13, 2012 12:28 |  #1

I've seen a number of pros shoot with a Lee or Cokin soft graduated rectangular filter by simply holding it over the lens during a long exposure on a tripod. What?

I think that any movement of your hand holding the filter will jiggle the camera. Why don't they use a frame to hold the filter?

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

sponsored links
koffikapp
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 13, 2012 12:47 |  #2

I think they do it to use a technique called "feathering", where they move the filter around slightly during the exposure to make the gradiation less obvious.

tvphotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 13, 2012 14:01 |  #3

koffikapp wrote in post #14986275 (external link)
I think they do it to use a technique called "feathering", where they move the filter around slightly during the exposure to make the gradiation less obvious.

But holidng it right against the lens on a long exposure?

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

koffikapp
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 13, 2012 16:49 |  #4

tvphotog wrote in post #14986626 (external link)
But holidng it right against the lens on a long exposure?

Huh, not sure, to avoid vignetting on very wide-angle lenses maybe? Beats me, I use a Cokin P holder so I get a bit of vignetting with my 17-40, but it's no big deal.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 13, 2012 17:55 |  #5

Sure they were holding the filter in direct contact with the lens ring? Might they have put some tape or something around the edges of the lens ring to reduce the risk of scratching in that case? But I'd be worried about communicating shake to the camera/lens combo that way if it were me. I think that if I were to adopt that as my standard practice I'd also start by putting an adapter ring on the front of the lens and putting tape or something on that to reduce the probability of scratches; but as I said, I'd worry about transmitting vibration to the camera. After all, isn't that why people use remote releases?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

mzondeki
880 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 13, 2012 18:20 |  #6

koffikapp wrote in post #14987314 (external link)
Huh, not sure, to avoid vignetting on very wide-angle lenses maybe? Beats me, I use a Cokin P holder so I get a bit of vignetting with my 17-40, but it's no big deal.

Ditto. I did this exactly for this purpose.

RX100V, A7 + Contax Zeiss [28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/53182994@N06/ (external link)

S_Egbert
224 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 13, 2012 20:03 as a reply to  @ mzondeki's post |  #7

I use my grads hand held quite often. It's quick and easy and no lost time when the light is changing fast, but if it's going to be a long exposure, the holder goes on.

Steve

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 14, 2012 03:29 |  #8

To add to everything else, those filter holders were almost impossible to get for a while.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 14, 2012 09:08 |  #9

Cokins? Not that I recall. The Lee holders were, but I don't recall seeing anything about either the Cokin P (84 mm) or Z-Pro (100 mm) holders being hard to find - just not as well thought of as the Lee models.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

mannyhan
328 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 14, 2012 14:07 |  #10

Has anyone tried Cokin holder with Lee GND filters? For example I remember reading about schneider filter holder will not hold Lee filters due to their thickness.
There are some Lee FK and filters on ebay. Real issue is much is buyer willing to pay due to supply and demand curve :-)

Gear List

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 15, 2012 03:28 |  #11

Jon wrote in post #14990028 (external link)
Cokins? Not that I recall. The Lee holders were, but I don't recall seeing anything about either the Cokin P (84 mm) or Z-Pro (100 mm) holders being hard to find - just not as well thought of as the Lee models.

Yeah. When the Lee holder was impossible to get, I think more people started buying the Cokin Z-Pro holder. Then the supply ran out at a bad time because I think Cokin had stopped the production for a while. Anyway, people were desperate to get either, and Ebay prices rocketed. I never bought filters, but I bought the Cokin Z-Pro and the expensive CPL. I never used them, so I figured I might as well sell them to someone who needed it. I could have sold them for double, but I ended up selling to members here at cost.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

1,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
Use a Cokin frame or not with the filter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.