Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
Thread started 27 May 2012 (Sunday) 18:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Concert - Autofocus goes Haywire

RishabhSood
447 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 27, 2012 18:01 |  #1

Hello,

I'm doing music photography from the past 1 year and I'm facing 1 issue constantly almost every day, Whenever I'm behind the artist, The auto-focus goes haywire due to the bright on coming lights, I've tried keeping the focus point on the artist itself but still it doesn't help much. The focus always end up somewhere else.

I use a Canon 60D with Sigma 50 mm 1.4, Tamron 17-55 2.8. Tamron 28-75mm 2.8.

Please help how to keep the focus on the artist, here is on such example:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

New Delhi Wedding Photographer (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer India (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 27, 2012 18:52 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Auto Focus often fails in extreme bright light and darkness.
This is why the lenes also manual focus.
Nice effect tho ...

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

RishabhSood
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 28, 2012 01:45 |  #3

EL_PIC wrote in post #14492795 (external link)
Auto Focus often fails in extreme bright light and darkness.
This is why the lenes also manual focus.
Nice effect tho ...

The artists move enough to fail the manual focus :rolleyes:

New Delhi Wedding Photographer (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer India (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer (external link)

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 28, 2012 08:05 |  #4

RishabhSood wrote in post #14492629 (external link)
Hello,

I'm doing music photography from the past 1 year and I'm facing 1 issue constantly almost every day, Whenever I'm behind the artist, The auto-focus goes haywire due to the bright on coming lights, I've tried keeping the focus point on the artist itself but still it doesn't help much. The focus always end up somewhere else.

I use a Canon 60D with Sigma 50 mm 1.4, Tamron 17-55 2.8. Tamron 28-75mm 2.8.

Please help how to keep the focus on the artist, here is on such example:

use the focus assist beam from an external flash (but not use the flash)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 28, 2012 08:44 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

watt100 wrote in post #14494965 (external link)

+1.

scumdee
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 29, 2012 04:59 as a reply to  @ RichSoansPhotos's post |  #6

I also find that focusing on a high contrast point like the edge of the t-shirt / neckline really helps too. The AF assist beam will increase AF accuracy too, just remember to set the flash to 'do not fire', you can easily set that on the 60D by going to the 'external flash control' menu.

Flickr (external link) | Dundee Band Photographer (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 30, 2012 08:32 |  #7

Yeah. AF needs contrast. Always use a hood, think about not using a "protection" filter: All flare lowers contrast.

Although in this case, focusing on the face should not have been a problem IMO.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 30, 2012 09:29 |  #8

AI-Servo mode. There's usually enough movement from the performers that one-shot mode will fail you.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 30, 2012 10:50 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

DennisW1 wrote in post #14505579 (external link)
AI-Servo mode. There's usually enough movement from the performers that one-shot mode will fail you.

AI Servo makes it much harder to get a sharp image in a dark performance. So, no I wouldn't use AI Servo

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 30, 2012 11:09 |  #10

400dabuser wrote in post #14505947 (external link)
AI Servo makes it much harder to get a sharp image in a dark performance. So, no I wouldn't use AI Servo

Also depends on camera and lens used, and of course how (much) the subject is moving.

On my 1D3, I tend to use mostly AiServo with longer focal lengths (80-200mm and 85/1.8) and mostly One Shot on my 17-35L. I find my Sigma 50mm/1.4 and EF 28/1.8 handle AI Servo quite well on short to medium distances, so with those it depends on circumstances.

Bottom line: Get to know your gear.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 30, 2012 11:11 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

René Damkot wrote in post #14506016 (external link)
Also depends on camera and lens used, and of course how (much) the subject is moving.

On my 1D3, I tend to use mostly AiServo with longer focal lengths (80-200mm and 85/1.8) and mostly One Shot on my 17-35L. I find my Sigma 50mm/1.4 and EF 28/1.8 handle AI Servo quite well on short to medium distances, so with those it depends on circumstances.

Bottom line: Get to know your gear.

The 1D cameras do have a better focus system than Canon's other range of cameras, this is why they put it in the 7D and 5D3. Yes, good point is to get to know the gear :)

snyder17315
346 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 14, 2012 12:23 |  #12

I'd suggest AI Servo, spot metering, and center focus point. Combine that with a wide aperture, high ISO and fast shutter speed and you're good to go.

My baseline settings before I leave the house to shoot a concert (with the 5D MK II):
1. Manual mode
2. Spot metering
3. AI Servo
4. Continuous Burst
5. ISO 1600
6. Widest lens aperture (usually 2.8 as i'm using the 24-70 and 70-200)
7. Center AF point
8. 1/200 shutter speed

As i'm shooting I'll make adjustments depending on the light, but always with shutter speed as the priority. So maybe the ISO goes to 3200 or even 6400. Sure it gets a little noisy, but noise can be fixed in post and a great, somewhat noisy (but sharp) shot is better than a clean, blurry, not so great shot.

5D MK II
EF 50mm 1.8 | EF 85mm 1.8 | EF 24-70L | EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II
www.jrobertsnyderphoto​graphy.com (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 14, 2012 13:27 |  #13

watt100 wrote in post #14494965 (external link)

DennisW1 wrote in post #14505579 (external link)

Just to point out I don't think the focus assist beam will fire in AI-Servo, in case you were planning on this combination.

Joel

rejay14
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 05, 2012 20:34 |  #14

snyder17315 wrote in post #14990915 (external link)
I'd suggest AI Servo, spot metering, and center focus point. Combine that with a wide aperture, high ISO and fast shutter speed and you're good to go.

My baseline settings before I leave the house to shoot a concert (with the 5D MK II):
1. Manual mode
2. Spot metering
3. AI Servo
4. Continuous Burst
5. ISO 1600
6. Widest lens aperture (usually 2.8 as i'm using the 24-70 and 70-200)
7. Center AF point
8. 1/200 shutter speed

As i'm shooting I'll make adjustments depending on the light, but always with shutter speed as the priority. So maybe the ISO goes to 3200 or even 6400. Sure it gets a little noisy, but noise can be fixed in post and a great, somewhat noisy (but sharp) shot is better than a clean, blurry, not so great shot.

I concur. Servo in every shot for me. No idea why your colours are so saturated (blue/red)...If noise gets too bad, make it a B&W shot. They are timeless. All shots here on a 5dIII and 7d (17-55, 70-200 2.8 is II, 24-105)

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1233506

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 x 4 with too many modifiers http:// …www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 07, 2012 10:22 |  #15

1) Use center point focus only-much more accurate
2) Pick high contrast focus targets such as eyes, or pick a better target in the same focal plane such as the knobs on the DJ mixer
3) Canon lenses generally focus better and faster.
4) Focus manually

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

sponsored links

5,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Concert - Autofocus goes Haywire
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Performing Arts Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.