Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Sep 2012 (Friday) 02:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Grandaughters on the swing at the park

alazgr8
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 14, 2012 02:19 |  #1

I know these photo's aren't very good, more like snapshots. I was really trying to get better shots, I bracketed my shots by changing, shutter speed, Iso, and aperature. These were the best shots. That's why I am asking for CC and advice. It was starting to get dusky,so I was fighting poor light, movement/uneven movement on the swing. How would you go about getting decent shots on the swings? I was using my 40D w/Canon 17-55 EF-S, f/2.8. I didn't want to use my flash. Thanks. -rick

1. Stella on the swing. f/4, 1/80, iso-400, 55mm

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …ellaswinging1IM​G_9893.jpg (external link)

2. Jenna in car seat. f/4, 1/100, iso 800, 42mm

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …g8/Jennaseat1IM​G_9855.jpg (external link)

3. Jenna on swing. f/4.5, 1/80, iso400, 55mm

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …rnnaswinging1IM​G_9903.jpg (external link)

4. Stella jungle gym. f/2.8, 1/40, iso 800, 55mm

http://i107.photobucke​t.com …8/Stellabars1IM​G_9957.jpg (external link)

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 14, 2012 04:02 |  #2

I had the same problem with swings! See https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=750139

I have recently upgraded to 5d mkiii and the higher usable ISO and better auto-focus makes this shot a lot better, though it is still hard to get right!

Here is a recent (not that great) snap (I have not applied sharpening to the reduced image):

IMAGE: http://www.m-dixon.com/potn/swing1.jpg

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link) www.slitcam.com (free slit-scan utility) (external link)

Martin ­ Dixon
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 14, 2012 04:07 |  #3

Mainly you need faster shutter speed - so you need to increase iso if possible and reduce f stop. Then for the action shots you either pre-focus (e.g. at the highest point of the swing) or try servo auto-focus (I don't know your cameras focus modes). In either case take lots of shots and keep practicing, you will get there!

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link) www.slitcam.com (free slit-scan utility) (external link)

JeremyBlake
532 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 14, 2012 10:41 |  #4

Agree. Raise the ISO to 800 or so and increase from f/4 to f/2.8 on a few of those. 1 and 3 are pretty underexposed and are already at 1/80th of a second. #2 isn't bad. The highlights on the hair bow are a bit blown out though. #4 wouldn't be bad if her face/forehead wasn't so blocked out.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Feedback

alazgr8
THREAD ­ STARTER
233 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 14, 2012 12:41 |  #5

@ Martin, Nice upgrade. The 5D3 will be my next camera. I didn't try auto servo focus. I will try that next time I'm shooting low light.

@ Jeremy, I moved the ISO setting up and down. Shot #2 was ISO800. I recently read that underexposure is better than over exposure because you can lighten an image, but if it is washed out you can't get back detail that was washed out. Any thoughts on that?

A lot of people post great work here, but I wanted to post my average at best images, so I can get advice that will help me improve. Thanks!! -rick

Rick S.
My Gear = Canon 50d ~ EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro ~ EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM ~ EF-S 17-55 IS USM f/2.8 IS ~ EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM ~ EF 28-135 IS f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

JeremyBlake
532 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 14, 2012 13:33 |  #6

It's usually easier to lighten an image than it is to fix blown out highlights, but i've found that brightening an underexposed image leads to more noise/grain. It's pretty much a trade off. Personally, it depends on the amount of the image that is going to be under or overexposed. I base if i under or overexpose on that, usually.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Feedback

Madwrench
633 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 14, 2012 14:57 as a reply to  @ JeremyBlake's post |  #7

Fill flash would have saved the first and third images.

Learn to use your histogram and expose to the right (external link) for the highest signal-to-noise ratio.

Randy ­ Digby
237 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 14, 2012 21:58 |  #8

I think #4 is a great image. You might consider cropping a little more off the right side getting her eye in the rule of thirds cross hair. The expression on her face and the viewer not being able to see what she sees lets the viewer's mind wonder. Is she committed to going forward? Is she afraid and stopped? What is ahead of her?

Got a camera, some cheap glass, one nice glass, a PC which doubles as my darkroom and a lot to learn - and having fun learning.
Taking a picture is like planting a memory, it grows more beautiful with time.

sponsored links

1,636 views & 0 likes for this thread
Grandaughters on the swing at the park
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.