Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 19:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tipping a photographer

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 14, 2012 19:06 |  #16

Hogloff wrote in post #14992395 (external link)
Would you tip a plumber for getting your stuck drain cleaned up?

If he was quick, clean, busted his ass working hard and did a great job, absolutely.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 14, 2012 20:39 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #14992672 (external link)
If he was quick, clean, busted his ass working hard and did a great job, absolutely.

Really? Have you?

Personally I expect first class service if I pay 1st class prices. Being quick, clean and working hard is exactly what I expect if I hire someone to do a job for me. Someone who is rude, sloppy messy will not get another job from me and I'll make sure others know about this poor service.

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 14, 2012 20:52 |  #18

Only if its as much fun as "Cow tipping" would I tip a photographer

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 14, 2012 20:53 |  #19

Hogloff wrote in post #14993022 (external link)
Really? Have you?

Personally I expect first class service if I pay 1st class prices. Being quick, clean and working hard is exactly what I expect if I hire someone to do a job for me. Someone who is rude, sloppy messy will not get another job from me and I'll make sure others know about this poor service.

I've never called a plumber. I can deal with that **** myself. Pun intended.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 15, 2012 10:09 as a reply to  @ Thomas Campbell's post |  #20

A few times when I didn't charge very much money for something, I got a paid a little more at the end, I took that as an indication I should charge more.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with an appreciative couple sending a check after the wedding, but it's not something which should be expected by either party (and selling prints is a better incentive system). Last weekend, these stupid kids hired me to photograph a surprise proposal (the extravagant ambitions led to repeated serious problems and delays). At the end, the guy stopped me, dug around in his wallet and found a twenty dollar bill and gave it to me in front of everyone like I was a pizza delivery boy. I realize he was appreciative of me trying to salvage his thing, but I'd say not to tip business owners.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 15, 2012 20:19 |  #21

It's worth a second to just reiterate what Fernando posted. It is a breach of etiquette and an insult to offer a tip to the owner of a business. The owner knows that the success of his or her business is dependent on delivering the best possible service at the best possible price. To imply that the owner of a business needs a tip to be motivated to deliver is insulting.

A tip is a gesture to an employee that their efforts have gone above and beyond what is expected of a wage earner.

Of course, for many jobs the expectation of tipping has become so established that now the standard wages are practically non-existant and a tip has become a requirement for all but the most egregiously bad performance. Stiff your waitress now, and you are not depriving her of a nice gesture, you are making her work for free. She should be terrible before that happens.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 15, 2012 21:12 |  #22

I would have to say "no" to tipping.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

david ­ lacey
968 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 15, 2012 21:53 as a reply to  @ CMfromIL's post |  #23

I tip workers but generally not business owners. I have never really thought about it before as to why I feel this way.

JeffreyG
15,520 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 15, 2012 22:05 |  #24

david lacey wrote in post #14996953 (external link)
I tip workers but generally not business owners. I have never really thought about it before as to why I feel this way.

You must have an innate sense of common etiquette.

There's a bunch of commonly accepted conventions that are falling to the wayside, and this is probably not for the best. Things that are becoming more common but which are not acceptable by conventional etiquette:

1) Tipping the owner of a business (implies owner need incentive to perform for his/her own business)
2) Bridal or baby showers hosted by relatives of the bride/mother. (Implication is a shakedown promoted by the family....host should be a friend).
3) Outright requests for cash or very detailed requests for gifts from brides. (Implies invitation to event is some type of quid quo pro).

Of course, the repulsive notion that wedding guests are little more than beneficiaries of the preceedings is quite common. I can't tell you how often I've heard comments implying that guests 'owe' a present equal to the cost of their entertainment. The concept of hospitality is apparently dead.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,015 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 15, 2012 22:13 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #25

3) Outright requests for cash or very detailed requests for gifts from brides. (Implies invitation to event is some type of quid quo pro).

In the Philippines, the custom is not to open wedding gifts until after all the guests have departed. The reason? Some guests are poorer than others, so gifts are opened in private so as not to embarrass anyone.

JeffreyG
15,520 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 15, 2012 22:20 |  #26

RDKirk wrote in post #14997020 (external link)
In the Philippines, the custom is not to open wedding gifts until after all the guests have departed. The reason? Some guests are poorer than others, so gifts are opened in private so as not to embarrass anyone.

In the US and Europe, the convention is that wedding gifts are delivered directly to the bride and groom and are not carried and presented at the reception.

Aside from the standard niceties, one of the points of the thank you card is to make sure that presents are indeed received.

Again, it is not standard etiquette to bring presents to a reception, and it would be very non-standard for the couple to open gifts at the reception in front of all of the guests.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,015 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 15, 2012 22:30 |  #27

I've been to a good number of US weddings where gifts were opened at the reception. Maybe there are regional differences.

sponsored links

4,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tipping a photographer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.