Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 18:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Vintage MF lenses

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 16, 2012 18:48 |  #1

Hi everyone.
For a long time no one has posted a new thread about vintage MF lenses so I toughed it might be interesting to know what lenses you have in your arsenal and why.
Old is not automatically bad, we all know that but we also know that not all lenses are good old or new.
I would like to experiment again with vintage glass on my 5DII, so I would like to know your opinion.
What lenses would you recommend?
From micro lenses, fish eyes, standard, tele-photo up to extenders.

I am trying to get MF arsenal for all sort of shooting styles, portraits, weddings, wildlife, outdoor and for cinematography projects.

:idea: thank you all in advance :)

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

sponsored links
BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 16, 2012 18:50 |  #2

Contax Zeiss and old Russian Helios lenses.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

Arman's ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 16, 2012 19:11 |  #3

BryantFC wrote in post #15000162 (external link)

It is funny that you say that, I was working with Russian lenses before and had very pleasant experience.

Any particular models/types you might recommend?

2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 16, 2012 19:15 |  #4

I'm a fan of russian lenses. The volna 9 macro is pretty good, its soft ish at 2.8 but very sharp when stopped down. The jupiter 11 is very nice too, and the tair 11a

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 16, 2012 19:19 |  #5

Supker-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 is my vote. It's pretty unreal how sharp it is and the bokeh is commonly said to be one of the best around, but all that is just figurative. I really like my copy. It's built like a tank - it's metal, but it's really small and relatively light.

I used to own these russian lenses:
44-2 58mm f/2.0 - wonderful swirly bokeh. I bought mine for $6 off eBay this year - sold it for $60.
MIR-1 37mm f/2.8 - extremely sharp. Really old lens. You can get a good copy for only about $135.

I've also used a Jupiter-9. Another Russian oldie - it's 85mm f/2.0. My copy was really soft wide open, though, but the bokeh was nice.

I'm tempted to purchase them again because now I have a full frame...

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 16, 2012 19:39 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

21mm Zuiko.

BryantFC
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 16, 2012 19:52 |  #7

Armans Photography wrote in post #15000255 (external link)
=Arman's Photography;15000255]I​t is funny that you say that, I was working with Russian lenses before and had very pleasant experience.

Any particular models/types you might recommend?

I personally owned and used the contax Zeiss 50 1.4 and its absolutely beautiful. The f1.7 version is sharper wide open though.

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​m (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/ (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,325 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 16, 2012 19:54 |  #8

Canon 55 1.2 aspherical.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 16, 2012 21:09 |  #9

BryantFC wrote in post #15000162 (external link)

Everyone used to steer clear of Russian made lenses before digital photography. I knew of photographers with old Zenits who would beg, borrow or steal Japanese optics (mainly Asahi Pentax) for their Zenits. Why today are Russian made lenses so popular nowadays,, the cost?

German made lenses have always been topshelf, but today can still be still expensive. Look at lenses out of Japan. Nikkor, Pentax and Olympus are great optics.

BTW,, I still have a bag full of AI and AI-S Nikkors ranging from 20mm to 300mm, including a AI-S 85mm f/2 which is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used, including my current 135L. Also a 1969 vintage 50mm f/1.4 which came with my Nikon F of the same vintage which I bought second hand in 1975 (I still have the camera also). The thing about Nikkors, they were built to last and are some of the best optics to come out of Japan.

One day I'll buy an adaptor and use these lenses on my EOS digital. One day!

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

ZoneV
Goldmember
1,644 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 17, 2012 04:44 |  #10

I use manual lenses for >95% of my photos.

Most loved lens is the Meyer Goerlitz Trioplan 100mm f/2.8, this lens gives a nearly unique bokeh rendering (much different to all Canon EOS lenses).

As the complete contrast I would reccomend a Sony 135 STF lens - but this need complex mount conversion. And the lens is expensive. I build lenses with an apodization element on my own, to get this smooth bokeh - for example with a Helios 44 and my filter (see homepage). By the way I love these Helios 44 lenses, because of their low price and simple mechanics - good for my experiments.

I like and use the Minolta Rokkor 58mm f/1.2 - very fast lens with good image quality. Some compare it to the Canon EF 50/f/1.2 and f/1.0 quality.

Furthermore I like and use other converted / adapted Minolta Rokkor lenses like 28mm/2.0. And Canon FD lenses, there I have converted some big glass :-) The white Canon FD L super tele lenses like FD 300/2.8L and 400/2.8L give good image quality to relative low prices for that focal length speed combination.
I own Zeiss Contax, Nikon, Schneider Kreuznach, Pentax,.. lenses, but I do not use they that often.

At the moment I try to adapt a Tyler Hobson lens as a 150/2.8 macro lens :-)

DIY-Homepage (external link) - Image Gallery (external link) - Gear List

DavidR
Goldmember
1,543 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 17, 2012 06:59 as a reply to  @ ZoneV's post |  #11

I shot Nikon manual focus for many years and still own or have access to the following lenses.

Nikkor 28mm f/2 AI
Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-s
Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 Macro
Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AI-s
Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AI-s

Nikon made some very high quality MF lenses and most require no modifications other than a adapter to use on a Canon 5D.

M10 - ZM 21mm - Elmarit 28mm-CV - Nokton 50mm f/1.2 - Elmarit 90mm

Arman's ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 17, 2012 12:43 as a reply to  @ DavidR's post |  #12

Did anyone experiment with vintage lenses and video recording?

Simplistic
Goldmember
1,443 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 17, 2012 13:22 |  #13

When I owned my vintage lenses, the DP I worked with on many top films out of Hollywood was begging me to use my lenses on the Canon cameras we were using.

I like the look of them - vintage feel and very contrasty. Way different than the Canon lenses - I personally think for video that the Canon lenses are to surgically sharp and the vintage lenses look way more like how I want the film to look - but that's just me.

5D II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 85 f/1.8 | Canon 24-105 f/4 L
WARNING!: Before commenting that my color correction is horrible, please keep in mind that I am colorblind, and that hasn't stopped me from trying.

nightcat
Goldmember
4,513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 17, 2012 14:07 |  #14

NIKON 20mm 2.8 AIS
NIKON 28mm 2.8 AIS
NIKON 50mm 1.8 AIS
NIKON 200mm f4 AI or AIS
ZEISS CONTAX 50mm 1.7
OLYMPUS OM 24mm 2.8

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 17, 2012 20:34 |  #15

Contax Zeiss and Leica R lenses.

There's a number of lenses that have unique rendering characteristics, many of which have already been mentioned. Finding ones that appeal to your sense of aesthetics is half the fun.

sponsored links

176,475 views & 2 likes for this thread
Best Vintage MF lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.