Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 22:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Self Portrait

IdiotsAbound
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 15, 2012 22:01 |  #1

Went for a high contrast look. Canon XSI using a 60+ year old Carl Zeiss 50mm f/2.8 lense.

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6162/6176984302_133c491247_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/45229638@N07/6​176984302/  (external link)
B/W self-portrait (external link) by bilge21 (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links
windpig
Chopped liver
14,673 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 15, 2012 23:16 |  #2

Really nice contrast. I only wish the glasses were clean and there was a catch light in your left eye.

Really, really nice though.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

IdiotsAbound
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 15, 2012 23:44 |  #3

windpig wrote in post #14997204 (external link)
Really nice contrast. I only wish the glasses were clean and there was a catch light in your left eye.

Really, really nice though.

Thanks. The catchlight was my overhead worklamp on the camera right. The glasses were my old work glasses, which had no anti-reflective coating, thus the faint reflection (not dirt) in the right lense.

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,699 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 16, 2012 09:49 |  #4

This is a very interesting shot. Is it the full frame or did you crop to this? Could stand to be sharpened.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

IdiotsAbound
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 16, 2012 10:47 |  #5

ChunkyDA wrote in post #14998365 (external link)
This is a very interesting shot. Is it the full frame or did you crop to this? Could stand to be sharpened.

This is actually full frame. I had the XSi tethered to my laptop and framed myself via the EOS Utility.

Qbx
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 16, 2012 19:25 |  #6

It looks like you selectively brightened your rt eye and in so doing you lowered contrast there. So if you bump the blacks in that area it will look more natural.

-- Image Editing OK --

IdiotsAbound
THREAD ­ STARTER
255 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 16, 2012 20:14 |  #7

Qbx wrote in post #15000331 (external link)
It looks like you selectively brightened your rt eye and in so doing you lowered contrast there. So if you bump the blacks in that area it will look more natural.

Nope, didn't selectively brighten it. If you look at the shadows of the nose and the shadow in my left eye, you will see it was the position of the work light.

This was a spur of the moment thing, where I was taking a break from filling orders and I actually had black dust on the side of my face as show in the colour original below..

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6173/6176982848_caa25e6823_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/45229638@N07/6​176982848/  (external link)
me colour (external link) by bilge21 (external link), on Flickr

cmh512
221 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 16, 2012 23:39 |  #8

This really would be an awesome shot if the lighting was similar in both your eyes. It looks as if you have glaucoma or something in your left eye. I do like the high contrast processing.

T3i, 18-55, EFS 10-22, 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS. Fuji XT-1, 18-55 F2-4.
flickr (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 17, 2012 07:09 |  #9

IdiotsAbound wrote in post #15000513 (external link)
Nope, didn't selectively brighten it. If you look at the shadows of the nose and the shadow in my left eye, you will see it was the position of the work light.

This was a spur of the moment thing, where I was taking a break from filling orders and I actually had black dust on the side of my face as show in the colour original below..

Be that as it may, it still looks strange. Try bumping blacks around your right eye.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links

1,596 views & 0 likes for this thread
Self Portrait
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.