Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 08:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which DSLR for Me?

Tethered_Limbs
92 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 16, 2012 08:52 |  #1

I've been doing alot of research lately, but would like some guidance from the pros. I want a decent DSLR for, probably sounds weird, taking pictures of my Reef Tank. The T3i looks nice, but I've read that it struggles in low light. Not that the tank will be low light, just that i can see alot of situations that would be low light. I will be buying lenses later, and would hope to spend around 700-800$ on a camera and all accessories that are considered must-have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

sponsored links
mrgooch
Goldmember
3,155 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 16, 2012 08:56 |  #2

Explain what you mean about sounds.

Tethered_Limbs
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 16, 2012 09:04 |  #3

double type. my bad

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 16, 2012 10:03 |  #4

Extremes are generally where cameras differ- and the more extreme, the more that they cost.

For your budget - it does sound like a Rebel- entry level. Generally speaking, you really want to get as new of a body as you can- so that you can leverage as much tech as you can. Straight out of the camera, a t4i should fare a little better than a t3i, but it's a small amount better- especially if you are depending upon Straight Out Of Camera jpegs. One should typically buy the newest body that they can afford- to get as much out of the camera- because you may buy lenses as needed- but most people upgrade bodies less frequently. For max low-light capabilities- you are looking at full frame- and a lot more money.. T3i or T4i should be similar- but like I said- slight edge to the t4i.. Some will say that you can make up for an older body by going with faster glass- but faster glass generally costs more - and then only that piece is able to do more- whereas if you get a body that can do 6400 as well as an older body that can do 3200 as well- well- that 6400 iso- you can use it with each piece of glass you own.

With either body- if you are dealing with the extremes of low light- go with a faster prime and you might gather enough light. Combined with even a slightly better body- it might make a difference.. So, if you get like a 50mm f/1.8 and pair it with a camera- you might get low light shots without adding flash. If you are not concerned about using flash- the lens matters a lot less. A t3i should be able to handle about 3200 ISO decently, and a t4i- maybe 6400. If you use flash- you'll be using slower ISO speeds anyways- so, it won't matter.
My suggestion would be to re-evaluate how much you are willing to spend- and budget for the better solution rather than buying less and, well, getting less.. BTW: T2i, T3i, 60D, and 7D all basically have the same sensors with the same ratings.. T4i's sensor is rated slightly higher by Canon in a couple of areas.

Initially, I'd suggest getting the kit lens- and try it out with your camera for a while to know what it is capable of.. Then get the appropriate glass to fill unique needs that the kit lens does not handle well. For a t3i, get the 18-55 IS kit lens.. For a t4i, I highly suggest the 18-135 IS STM lens.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

Tethered_Limbs
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 16, 2012 10:26 |  #5

i was planning on saving up till black friday to try and get a deal, so depending on what happens, i may get a t4i. but at the very least a t3i for sure

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 16, 2012 16:08 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

You don't have to shoot a fish tank with only the tank lighting. Set up supplemental lighting to shine in from above and slightly in front of the tank. You can add more lighting to come in from the sides, but shield the front glass so no supplemental light shines on the front glass itself. Use custome WB, if necessary. This takes low-light capability out of your DSLR choice parameters.

My suggestion is to buy all that you can possibly afford the first time. You will want more later.

Gear List

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 16, 2012 19:47 |  #7

You may want to look into the CLP program. You can save a lot of money on a camera body going that route.
A T3i would be perfectly capable for what you want to do.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Tethered_Limbs
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 17, 2012 02:29 |  #8

CLP?

fotocrack
194 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 17, 2012 02:57 |  #9

I might get flamed but I would recommend a Sony NEX and a prime lens. Sounds like you want something easy, budget friendly and takes low light pics.
I went from a T1i to a 7D and now a Sony NEX-7 and I am not looking back. Love every moment of it.
the NEX-3Fand NEX-5N are on sale right now. Check Sony, Amazon or B&H.
Good luck

5DM3 lover :cool: //My custom build computer //My Feedback
PLEASE DONATE TO YOUR LOCAL FOOD BANKS AND LOCAL CHARITIES

Tethered_Limbs
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 17, 2012 14:54 |  #10

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1229149  ???

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 17, 2012 15:07 |  #11

CLP?

Canon Loyalty Program. If you puchase a refurbed Canon body from Canon USA, they will let you trade in a older Canon body for some hundreds of dollars in credit.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ducts/cameras/s​lr_cameras (external link)

Most of my L lenses are refurbed ones that were as good as new when I received them.

Tethered_Limbs
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 17, 2012 15:23 |  #12

i dont have any cameras to trade in tho

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 17, 2012 15:52 |  #13

Tethered_Limbs wrote in post #15004763 (external link)
i dont have any cameras to trade in tho

You can generally buy them on ebay for $10-$15.

You also may want to consider the G1X. Fixed lens zoom. Pretty straight forward for what you are trying to do I would think.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 17, 2012 16:01 |  #14

if this is all you want to do?

get a cheap rebel XS or t2i, a macro lens, a GOOD tripod some lighting and polarizing filter to cut glare off your tank

dont spend more money on a body than you need to since it wont affect the IQ as much as the other things i listed.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Tethered_Limbs
THREAD ­ STARTER
92 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 17, 2012 21:10 |  #15

what would be a Good tripod? there are alot of options...... likewise on filters. act liek you are talking to a child i know nothing of photography....

sponsored links

7,684 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which DSLR for Me?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.