Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon eos 6d offically announced

AdamJL
Goldmember
4,365 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 17, 2012 06:02 |  #136

Osiriz wrote in post #15002189 (external link)
So with your logic, shouldn't this new, as you call it "Rebel FF", have more than 1 cross-type point?
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Nice straw man, but
1. I never called it anything.
2. That's not by my logic at all. I implied it was akin to the rebel series in that it's the entry level camera of Canon's FF lineup, like the XXXD/XXXXD's are to the entire series.

Gear

sponsored links
Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Sep 17, 2012 06:06 |  #137

Not sure what to make of it yet. At first glance, Canon puts this camera a half step behind the D600. Unless the new sensor is spectacular, I wouldn't have much interest in it. I'm not excited about the AF system, frankly. Then again, I'm spoiled by the 5D3 so that's probably understandable.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 17, 2012 06:07 |  #138

chrismarriott66 wrote in post #15002198 (external link)
The spec sheet may not live up to the D600, but do we actually know the price yet? If it's significantly less than the D600 then Canon will be on to a winner and it will sell...

That's debatable, it's ISO performance is stronger than the D600. It may have less AF points but the 6D's have better low light sensitivity, and as KenjiS points out, the D600 cross types are all in the centre. The frame rate, 4.5fps vs 5.5fps, well neither camera is really a sports camera anyway.
The important thing is image quality though, and we won't know that until someone runs detailed tests on the sensor. Seeing as Nikons have been beating Canons for a while in dynamic range though I don't have much confidence in Canon winning here.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

stargazer78
183 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 17, 2012 06:10 |  #139

Sirrith wrote in post #15002214 (external link)
So does this mean it becomes less useful if you have a faster lens? I'm lost.

It is capable of standard precision for vertical axis and horizontal axis with any lens f5.6 or faster.

However, when an f2.8 lens is mounted, the vertical axis becomes high precision.

It's no different from most of Canon's low- and mid-range cameras, including the 5D2, 60D, and the Rebels.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 17, 2012 06:26 |  #140
bannedPermanent ban

Just read the specs. The entire thing seems like a half-step to me. Still debating, but my initial reaction is to continue to hold on until I can get a 5D3. I want to see the AF system in action.

Gear List

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 17, 2012 06:29 |  #141

DP-Reviews Summary for the 6D says it all:

Quote: "Overall, though, it's difficult to shake the feeling that the EOS 6D simply lacks the 'wow' factor of its main rival. Whereas Nikon seems to have taken the approach of taking away as little as possible from D800 when creating the D600, Canon appears almost to have gone the other way, removing as much as it thinks it can get away with at the price. The result is the kind of conservative, slightly unimaginative design that's become the company's hallmark. It's still bound to be a very good camera, of course; just perhaps not quite as good as it could be."

SchnellerGT
585 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 17, 2012 06:43 |  #142

-The 6D is proof that Canon doesn't have the R&D to keep up with the competition.
-Canon simply went to its parts bin and threw a bunch of newer and older tech together to make this camera.
-They have the gall to give us YET again that ancient AF???
-And then they price it at the same price as the D600, even with lower pixel count???

The 6D is nothing but a hastily thrown together desperate attempt by an arrogant company that didn't see the D600 coming.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 2.8L II [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][​FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][F​ONT=Tahoma]| Canon 40mm Pancake | Canon EF 85 1.8 USM | Canon EF 135 F2L USM | Canon Speedlite 430 EX
Buyer Feedback for "SchnellerGT" (Fredmiranda) (external link)

SchnellerGT
585 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 17, 2012 06:45 |  #143

The 6D is no upgrade for 5DII owners.

The 5DIII and D600 remain my best options. I am REALLY thinking about jumping ship.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | Canon 24-70 2.8L II [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][​FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=2][F​ONT=Tahoma]| Canon 40mm Pancake | Canon EF 85 1.8 USM | Canon EF 135 F2L USM | Canon Speedlite 430 EX

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 17, 2012 06:50 |  #144

SchnellerGT wrote in post #15002328 (external link)

The 5DIII and D600 remain my best options. I am REALLY thinking about jumping ship.

I did. Nikon has no banding. :) Not completely but, shooting both systems. :)

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 17, 2012 06:52 |  #145

SchnellerGT wrote in post #15002328 (external link)

If I had your gear, I'd do it.

But here I am, stuck with a set of 12 lenses (7 of them being L class), and a whole box of other Canon stuff.. Such a pain to sell it all.

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,457 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 17, 2012 07:08 |  #146

Someone at DPreview stated that there is only one cross type point. I'm not sure where this info came from so I can't back it. It will be interesting to find out how many points there actually are. If Canon did go 11 cross type would that not just shut down 5D2 sales? I'm probably going to purchase the 5D3 this week.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

KhanhD
"I need a grip . . . on my life"
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 17, 2012 07:09 |  #147

I think this will be a great 7D Companion camera for a dual purpose shooter. Or for still work like studio, portraiture and landscape. Essentially, just as they intended, where the 5D MkII was.

GPS and WiFi are great (assuming they work well..), but releasing another camera with the 5DII AF is a disappointment, and 1/4000 is poopy, but I do understand the need to protect their other models.

And lolol at Scene modes. WTF @ Single SD Slot.

I absolutely see a place in the market/the lineup for this camera. Unfortunately, this means the 5D3's price wont drop as quickly as we all hoped. Me? I think a 5D3 and a pair of 7Ds will work better for what/how I shoot.

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)
iPhone 5s + Instagram (external link)

SchnellerGT
585 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 17, 2012 07:11 |  #148

Nikon execs are laughing their way to the bank at this point.

KhanhD
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 17, 2012 07:12 |  #149

digital paradise wrote in post #15002367 (external link)
Someone at DPreview stated that there is only one cross type point. I'm not sure where this info came from so I can't back it. It will be interesting to find out how many points there actually are. If Canon did go 11 cross type would that not just shut down 5D2 sales? I'm probably going to purchase the 5D3 this week.

5D2 is Discontinued, and Canon doesnt give a crap about the used market.

DPReview has a camera in their hands. I certainly believe it is single cross type.

Per Canon:

A new 11-point AF including a high-precision center cross-type AF point with EV -3 sensitivity allows focusing in extreme low-light conditions
http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ameras/slr_came​ras/eos_6d (external link)

Khanh Duong | KHDPhoto.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | facebook (external link)

KhanhD
1,523 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Sep 17, 2012 07:14 |  #150

SchnellerGT wrote in post #15002372 (external link)
Nikon execs are laughing their way to the bank at this point.

I dont understand this mentality. Most of the people who will be buying a Full Frame camera, or any $2000+ camera, will not be first timers. Most will already have lenses. Most will not want to go through the hassle of selling all their lenses.

sponsored links

276,441 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon eos 6d offically announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.