Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 05:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Canon S110

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 17, 2012 05:55 |  #1

Specs at Canon USA (external link)
They've removed GPS, added WiFi and added the capability to (in post-processing) geotag from GPS data recorded by your phone via the included WiFi.
Still 12.1 MP.
Same zoom range as the S100
Touch-screen
2.1 fps continuous normal, 10 fps continuous in HS Burst (for a full 10 frames; S100 did 9.6 fps for up to 8 frames)
Virtually the same size and weight as the S100.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
eyalg
583 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 17, 2012 06:32 |  #2

The S100's play was that is was the only pocketable high-end camera.
Now, with the RX100 and XF-1 out there, other than its wi-fi capabilities.
In my opinion, as much as I love Canon PowerShots, the S110 isn't interesting enough.
Perhaps it would sell well, but I expected a bit more from Canon. Something in the lines
of the larger aperture they gave the G15.

-eyalg

My Digital Camera Guide - www.eyalg.com (external link)

Lelin
40 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 17, 2012 10:20 |  #3

They also removed the grip... Not likely to get one

Hi, I'm Joc
Gear List
Flickr (external link)

jcox10
110 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 17, 2012 10:27 |  #4

Just bought a S100 for the wife...glad I pulled the trigger on it and didn't wait for the S110.

I am happy to see the GPS go...it is almost worthless on the S100. It drains the battery within ~40 shots

S95 | 7D | Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Sigma 8-16mm | 580EX II | 430EX II | Various Strobist Gear | Feisol CT-3442 Rapid w/ Acratech GP-S ballhead

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 17, 2012 10:29 as a reply to  @ Lelin's post |  #5

Seems like the typical canon upgrade, if you already have one, (s100), it's not worth the upgrade, if you are a few generations behind, maybe, if you don't have an high end p&s,
Go with the Sony rx100....

dcorban
87 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 17, 2012 21:40 |  #6

Even if I didn't have a camera, I would just buy the S100 instead.

Actually, anyone with an S95 or older should just buy the Sony. I would.

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 19, 2012 11:51 as a reply to  @ dcorban's post |  #7

My wife has the S95... I opted to repair it rather than get the S100. She likes the in-camera effects and when she does upgrade later, we'll stick to the line since she's familiar with it. Given the nominal differences between the S100 and S110, I'll get my wife an S120 :p should her camera have issues again. Otherwise, she is unlikely to get much use out of a touch screen or wifi and I would rather get her the S100.

My sister's G9 died and I'm repairing it for my own use. I just pre-ordered the S110 for her. She's likely to use the wifi capabilities, as she's more into social networking than either me or my wife.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 19, 2012 21:30 |  #8

When the S90 came out I thought "oh yeah I'm going to buy that"! But I never did. And each time the new model comes out I think "OK now I'm really going to upgrade this time". I never have though hahah. I'm still using my PowerShot SD700, because it just...works. BTW I bought this camera from Amazon in May 2006 for $499.

Anyway, this time...this time I will buy the S110. Really I will :)

alonsovicsusb
36 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 20, 2012 00:46 |  #9

Hmm...I am having thoughts about this new model. The features look interesting, but it seems as if it doesn't interest me (I think).

dcorban
87 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 20, 2012 13:09 |  #10

CactusJuice wrote in post #15016963 (external link)
When the S90 came out I thought "oh yeah I'm going to buy that"! But I never did. And each time the new model comes out I think "OK now I'm really going to upgrade this time". I never have though hahah. I'm still using my PowerShot SD700, because it just...works. BTW I bought this camera from Amazon in May 2006 for $499.

Anyway, this time...this time I will buy the S110. Really I will :)

Unless the SD700 is somehow better than my old SD1000, the S90 would have blown it away. I am barely an amateur photographer, and the difference was incredible. The sensor on that thing was horrible, resulting in high megapixel, but soft and noisy photos. The S90 was great. I upgraded to the S100 for the vastly improved low-light and HD video on day one, and it was worth the money.

I suggest the S100, since the difference in price for the S110 is not worth it in my opinion, unless you really want a white camera, or touchscreen.

The wifi feature on the S110 is intriguing, but I assume it will require the usage of proprietary Canon software. I prefer the plug-and-play aspect of my S100. I import my photos with iPhoto on my Mac. I can't imagine Canon somehow getting this wifi networking to work with iPhoto. I just pop out the SD card and put it in my MacBook.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 24, 2012 08:16 |  #11

jcox10 wrote in post #15003278 (external link)
Just bought a S100 for the wife...glad I pulled the trigger on it and didn't wait for the S110.

I am happy to see the GPS go...it is almost worthless on the S100. It drains the battery within ~40 shots

To get around that, I turn on the GPS every now and again, tag a few pictures, then turn it off again...I do like the function, though!

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

johnward82
147 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 25, 2012 15:09 |  #12

I am currently looking at buying a new p&s, and had just about bought the s100 but then the week I was going to order it the s110 gets announced. If it wasn't for the wifi, I'd get the s100 but the notion that I can transfer photos to my phone or iPad while on vacation for use on my website or Facebook or whatever is a big deal. That connectivity means my shots won't go stale on the memory card. That's the main reason I sold my old p&s. it got stuck in the drawer more often than not because I have my 7d and the shots just stayed on the card.

Now my daughter is almost 3 and the 7d is cumbersome to capture the moments AND get to play at the same time.

So I'm still back, flip flopping on what to get.

I see everyone suggesting the Sony, but isn't that 200 dollars or so more? I'm not in the market for something in that price range.

www.bigjohnsphotograph​y.com (external link)

NoZoomNoFun:)
61 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 27, 2012 19:19 |  #13

is there a major diff bet s100/110 and G12/15 ? what are they
they seem like similar sensor, lens etc except the Body

Chris1le
891 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Sep 27, 2012 22:22 as a reply to  @ NoZoomNoFun:)'s post |  #14

Camera connector for iDevice is what? $29?

My Pictures (external link) : My Gear (external link)
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own - Adam Savage

johnward82
147 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 28, 2012 09:59 |  #15

Chris1le wrote in post #15052365 (external link)
Camera connector for iDevice is what? $29?

got one.
doesnt work with iphone?
dont want to pull out the card from the camera if I want to put something up on facebook
dont want to carry a connector in my pocket as well

www.bigjohnsphotograph​y.com (external link)

sponsored links

53,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Canon S110
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.