Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon eos 6d offically announced

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 17, 2012 11:47 |  #361

Mornnb wrote in post #15003598 (external link)
What were you expecting for this price??? You do realise right that full frame costs a lot more to manufacture, and they had to save money some where.
Rather than giving it a Rebel autofocus system with 9 cross types, they decided to go with a low light sensitivity centre cross type, which will be more useful for some people.

However only the centre ones are crosstype, so with the D600 you're also back to focus recomposing game.

Incorrect. There are 9 at the center and are all cross type. ;)

sponsored links
Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 17, 2012 11:49 |  #362

Bakewell wrote in post #15003231 (external link)
This is going to be priced almost three times the price of a T4i? Really? Guess no 70D. Where would it fit in this lineup?

At the ~1399 price point, with the AF system from the 7D

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 17, 2012 11:50 |  #363

jj_glos wrote in post #15003634 (external link)
The D600's 9 cross type points are all in the middle, if you;re in a situation where only the cross type points are grabbing your focus then you are back to focus\recompose. As it's based on the D7000 the points aren't exactly well spread either.

D600
QUOTED IMAGE

6D
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Compared to the 6D, the center is more usable with the D600. Plus, five of those can AF at f8. I don't care too much about it since I plan to MF anyways. :lol:

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 17, 2012 11:50 |  #364

It's a give and take game that Canon likes to play. Add GPS hmmm too much .. deduct some cross AF points, add WiFi wow we're losing some money...deduct some more cross AF points :lol:.

Warl0rd wrote in post #15003625 (external link)
I really can't understand why this camera has 11 AF points with only one cross type and the 650D has 9 points ALL cross type!

someone please explain me how can a $2000 camera have a crappier AF system then a $950 released EARLIER.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 17, 2012 11:50 |  #365

jdizzle wrote in post #15003639 (external link)
Incorrect. There are 9 at the center and are all cross type. ;)

What actual benefit is that though? I use a single AF point that I move around the frame, mainly from centre to points at the thirds intersections. I can't see what use I'd have for the 8 other points all around clustered around the centre?

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 17, 2012 11:51 |  #366

Warl0rd wrote in post #15003625 (external link)
someone please explain me how can a $2000 camera have a crappier AF system then a $950 released EARLIER.

obviously you were not around when 5D2 came out and equipped with a 9 point single cross-type AF while 40D from a year before already had a 9 point all cross-type AF.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Ghost240sx
390 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 17, 2012 11:51 |  #367

Growingshort wrote in post #15003602 (external link)
I mean, the used market for 5d2's are at 1500+ so I'm assuming the 6D used is going to drop more than half in price once used? I can't see the fact it's a newer production make it worth more than the 5D2 used.

Why would it drop to more than half in price used? Do you forget that the 5Dc was the original entry level FF camera? The 5DII (and III) were simply created to expand from the entry level enthusiast to an advanced full frame enthusiast. Canon positioned this perfectly. Just because it doesn't satisfy YOUR needs doesn't mean it is a pointless camera or lacking. This is a great entry level camera that replaces the 5Ds position. 5DII prices will continue to drop because technology is advancing and people are choosing more viable options. New cameras aren't the only ones affecting camera body prices. Don't forget all the used 1D(1Ds) series cameras that are for sale. Proven workhorses offering more than these cameras.

In short, 6D is a great addition. 5DII will keep dropping in price as will the 5Dc. It is a camera, which is a tool. Not an investment. Gear Naz1s get over yourselves.

"The challenge is to make the best possible choices in how to take a photograph that can impart that feeling of awe or excitement to the person that views it."-Rob573

ching
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 17, 2012 11:51 |  #368

So people using D3s D3x D4 must ALL be using center point focus and recompose? :p
Corsspoint is not everything, it's only PART of what makes a great AF module ;)

jj_glos wrote in post #15003634 (external link)
The D600's 9 cross type points are all in the middle, if you;re in a situation where only the cross type points are grabbing your focus then you are back to focus\recompose. As it's based on the D7000 the points aren't exactly well spread either.

D600
QUOTED IMAGE

6D
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Nikon D800

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Sep 17, 2012 11:52 |  #369

On the D600, whats the point of bunching up all the AF points right in the middle?

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 17, 2012 11:52 |  #370

It's all marketing games by Canon. Unless you're in the buisness or are a huge enthusiast, no one is going to remember all the specifications from all the cameras through all of the different manufacturers.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 17, 2012 11:53 |  #371

http://www.kenrockwell​.com/canon/6d.htm (external link)

what's interesting is he has been using the camera since...March!?

nm: EXIF says 5D3, not sure what he's smoking.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

lonescout
155 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 17, 2012 11:55 |  #372

Tony_Stark wrote in post #15003612 (external link)
And this based off what? Out of 11 AF points only 1 is cross type, and its located in the center again. Only the middle is sensitive to f/2.8. Until reviews come out talking more about the "new" AF then we can judge if its really all that better over the previous out going model. I have been able to focus great in low light with my 5D2 and center point.

There is no out going model per se, the sector that was covered by the 5D mkII is now covered by the 5D mkIII and 6D.

Having a look at the second hand market it appears that some 1Ds mkIII owners are moving to the 5D mkIII, so the 5D mkx seems to have shifted slightly 'upwards' in its appeal. This leaves a gap further down the scale which the 6D fills.

Unless of course I am over simplifying things. Which is entirely possible. ;)

Gear still the same. Wife drops in now and again though :cool:.

jj_glos
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 17, 2012 11:59 |  #373

HyperYagami wrote in post #15003681 (external link)
http://www.kenrockwell​.com/canon/6d.htm (external link)

what's interesting is he has been using the camera since...March!?

nm: EXIF says 5D3, not sure what he's smoking.

You scrolled past the whole "UNDER CONSTRUCTION READ NO FURTHER WARNING" didn't you? :D

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 17, 2012 12:00 |  #374

jj_glos wrote in post #15003661 (external link)
What actual benefit is that though? I use a single AF point that I move around the frame, mainly from centre to points at the thirds intersections. I can't see what use I'd have for the 8 other points all around clustered around the centre?

To focus on one eye? :lol: I move the AF point too but, even then I don't use the center unless I need to. I guess the benefit is the increased sensitivity. Still, it's better to work with more than one point than just one.

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 17, 2012 12:00 |  #375

Tony_Stark wrote in post #15003612 (external link)
And this based off what? Out of 11 AF points only 1 is cross type, and its located in the center again. Only the middle is sensitive to f/2.8. Until reviews come out talking more about the "new" AF then we can judge if its really all that better over the previous out going model. I have been able to focus great in low light with my 5D2 and center point.

According to Canon and Nikons specs, the D600 AF sensitivity range for these 9 centre cross types is rated at -1 EV, where the single centre cross type of the 6D is rated at -3 EV. And the 5D Mark II's crosstype is rated at -0.5 EV.

Tony_Stark wrote in post #15003673 (external link)
On the D600, whats the point of bunching up all the AF points right in the middle?

Saves cost, both cameras are trying to get to a low price point as both are aimed as budget full frames. The D600 is using the D7000 autofocus system, a crop camera, so the spread on full frame is pretty poor. That's how Nikon went about using a cheap AF system!

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

sponsored links

259,624 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon eos 6d offically announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.