Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 13:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can I do enough with the lenses I already have?

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 17, 2012 13:13 |  #1

I have a new 60D with the 18-55 IS kit lens, 50mm 1.8, and 70-300. A nice little set that covers basically all focal lengths I need.

I shoot primarily candids/ portraits both indoors and out.

Seems like the best lens for what I do and what would be a natural addition would be the 17-55.

That being said, I am also increasingly convinced that for the type of photography I enjoy doing, I want to jump to FF in the near future.

The reason I didn't just go for a 5D MK II now was because I was still looking at almost a $1700 price difference from the 60D body only. I felt the price differential, along with where I am skills-wise as a photographer didn't justify the 5D right now. At the same time, I felt the 60D was a worthy enough upgrade to my XSi, so I pulled the trigger.

Ideally towards the end of next year, I am thinking one of 3 things would have happened:

(1) I give up on this "hobby" and just keep the DSLR around to take pictures here and there, in which case the equipment I have now is more than enough and I'm thanking my lucky stars I didn't invest more money.

(2) I have improved as a photographer, I'm enjoying this hobby even more, and I'm ready to take the FF plunge. At that point I'll probably look at the new 6D or maybe jump to Nikon's D600. Hopefully either camera will be fully mature (with firmware updates and what not), reviewed thoroughly, and have some good deals by then.

(3) I will jump to mirrorless. The Nex systems looks promising, but that's another story.

So... there is a good chance that in about a year's time I will be looking to ditch the 60D and the EF-S lenses. So I'm thinking it might not be a wise move to put out $1000 or so for the 17-55.

In the interim, is the equipment I have good enough to take good pictures and continue growing as a photographer? Should I maybe consider adding a speedlite and/or a wider angle fairly inexpensive prime lens?

sponsored links
drive_75
748 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 17, 2012 14:39 |  #2

Only you can answer these question. You give no reason why you should quit the hobby. Why did you want to jump to mirroless? Do you really need FF? I don't know. You would have to decide if your current system is good enough for you or not.

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 17, 2012 14:39 |  #3

The Dark Knight wrote in post #15004092 (external link)
Should I maybe consider adding a speedlite and/or a wider angle fairly inexpensive prime lens?

Either would probably be a worthwhile investment, especially for shooting indoors.

So... there is a good chance that in about a year's time I will be looking to ditch the 60D and the EF-S lenses. So I'm thinking it might not be a wise move to put out $1000 or so for the 17-55.

Buy used and then resell for roughly the price you paid. Even if you buy new you won't take that much of a hit when reselling.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 17, 2012 14:43 |  #4

Camera equipment is like race cars. Only you can determine how "fast" you want to go. The high dollar lenses are high for a reason.

Good luck wit your hobby.
Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,277 posts
Gallery: 299 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 17, 2012 14:59 |  #5

About 4 years ago I was offered a used17-55 2.8 for $850. That same lens goes for around $900 used. So if I had purchased it, I would have 4 years of use, and sold it at a profit. Good lenses don't really lose much value, especially if you purchase used so you dont absorb the initial minor depreciation that comes with buying nearly any new goods. Bodies lose value as new and better offerings come out, but lenses tend to hold their value, even if a newer version is released. You didnt see any big drop on the 70-200 2.8 IS when the MKII version came out. Buy the lens you need for when you need it.

That said, you can do some amazing things with the gear that you have. There are two limiting factors that often become an issue before gear they are: Ability, if you dont learn the craft all the gear in the world wont help; Vision (imaginiation) if you cant imagine a shot before you take it, then new gear isnt going to help you find it. Only when you imagine an image, have the skills to make it, but find yourself limited by your gear do you need to worry much about gear.

Capeachy
427 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 17, 2012 15:36 |  #6

I spent about 3 years with an XTi, a Sigma 18-200 OS, a 50 f1.8, a 28 f1.8 and a 430EX. I think what helped a lot was having friends with a similar hobby, going to workshops, going to photography classes and looking at other people's work - all to inspire my own work. At the same time, I learned lots about lighting, post processing, posing, backgrounds, etc.

Once you develop your own taste and style, then the answer comes fairly easily what tool you should buy next - a more versatile zoom, a better flash/strobe, body with better AF speed, body with better ISO performance, etc. My sense from your statement above is that you're not really sure where to progress next. There are so many different styles of candids/portraits, both inside and outside, with and without lighting that it's hard for us to recommend you some specific set of gear.

Is there some style or effect or "look" that you feel you're not getting? Are your tools getting in the way of what you're trying to do?

For example, if you find that, "I want a more compressed look with shallow DoF", then a 100mm f2 might be a great choice. "Oh but I need it to be versatile for action shots and chasing running kids", then what about a 70-200 f2.8 from Canon or Sigma? Or if you said that, "I want to do more environmental portraits and in low light", then maybe a 20mm f2.8 might do just fine if you have interesting subjects, lighting and locations. For sure a 17-55 f2.8 will work in that case but if you don't need to change focal lengths that quickly, then why spend all that money?

Photography is the art of exclusion

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,602 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 17, 2012 16:04 |  #7

for what you do, sell your 60D and 18-55, and get a 5Dc or 5D2. You'll find that the 50 1.8 comes alive with a FF camera, and even a cheapo tamron 28-75 should out perform a crop + 17-55 setup.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

Gameface
672 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 17, 2012 16:08 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

You could have bought an old canon 5Dc for less than your 60D.

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 17, 2012 16:28 |  #9

Charlie wrote in post #15004979 (external link)
for what you do, sell your 60D and 18-55, and get a 5Dc or 5D2. You'll find that the 50 1.8 comes alive with a FF camera, and even a cheapo tamron 28-75 should out perform a crop + 17-55 setup.

Personal preference not to purchase used equipment, and couldn't justify the additional price for the 5D2 at this stage in my photography skillset (which is very lacking).

Very happy with the 60D though!

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 17, 2012 20:52 |  #10

The Dark Knight wrote in post #15005129 (external link)
at this stage in my photography skillset (which is very lacking).

You just answered you own question right there.
It is easy to want more and more when you visit POTN a lot. But take a trip to Flickr or the like, look at what some people are doing with LESS than you have. I start thinking "man, I need to go FF to really step up my game!" Then I look at what someone with an Xsi and a 50 1.8 put out. I realize real quick, gear is not what I need to worry about. :oops:

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Mrslinger85
Goldmember
1,028 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 17, 2012 20:57 |  #11

I keep telling myself I need a FF, but honestly I get good shots out of my Rebel and still could get better. Focus on maxing out what you have and upgrading when you feel like your gear is actually limiting you. If you know what you are doing you can get a "junk" camera and cheap lens to take great photos. I wouldn't worry about the future yet. Keep practicing.

Jon E.
My Gear
My Flickrexternal link

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 17, 2012 21:31 |  #12

In the interim, is the equipment I have good enough to take good pictures and continue growing as a photographer? Should I maybe consider adding a speedlite and/or a wider angle fairly inexpensive prime lens?

This may sound weird, but my most cherished piece of equipment is my $65 Yongnuo speedlight. For portraits, this is the best bang for my buck. Selective focus is cool. Proper lighting is sweet. Put them together (i.e. with the nifty fifty) and you'll have pictures that will make people gape.

sponsored links

1,516 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I do enough with the lenses I already have?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.