Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What ND filters for this effect? AND bonus question about circ pol.

kristin6
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 17, 2012 14:44 |  #1

During an upcoming trip to Michigan, I'd like to capture some low-angle, wide, long exposures on the short. I'd like to achieve an exposure of between 7 - 20 seconds ideally 30 minutes before and after sunrise/set. Examples: http://us.123rf.com …radise-island-on-beac.jpg (external link), http://www.davidroossi​en.com …gLakeMichigan_7​30x497.jpg (external link)

How many stops should I go? I've heard that anything over 3 does goofy things to the image and that stacking even two lenses causes vignetting. I also haven't heard good things about variable ND's.

I'm shooting with a 40D and I'll be using my 18-200mm (72mm filter) and possibly my Sigma 150mm Macro. I also have a 100-400L (77mm filter). I plan to purchase the 72mm filters and will buy separately for the 100-400 as needed.

sponsored links
koffikapp
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 17, 2012 16:16 |  #2

For those kind of shots, you'll probably need a 10-stop. What "goofy things" are you thinking of? The only issue I can really think of is color cast, which is easily fixed in post processing anyway.

Consider the B+W 10-stop (external link), I have one and it doesn't vignette at all with my 17-40 on FF, great quality. They have cheaper, uncoated variants as well.

LEE Big Stopper is also a popular option, although I haven't used it myself.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,823 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 17, 2012 16:22 |  #3

Lightcraft VND so you can dial in as much drop as you want.

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 17, 2012 16:37 |  #4

MCAsan wrote in post #15005093 (external link)
Lightcraft VND so you can dial in as much drop as you want.

Do you have one? How do you like it? I was told that it doesn't create the best image. Don't have much detail beyond this.

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 17, 2012 21:23 |  #5

kristin6 wrote in post #15005170 (external link)
Do you have one? How do you like it? I was told that it doesn't create the best image. Don't have much detail beyond this.

The general consensus is that it does its job. If you're a hobbyist and don't wanna shell out for the best, it will do fine. Otherwise, if you want the best, Singh-Ray. But prepare to pay.

I bought a cheap-o $15 vari-nd filter from Amazon purely to see if I'd like the idea of one. I do. I'm now saving up for a Singh-Ray - either vari-nd or vari-n-duo.

You may also want to consider rectangular graduated ND filters like the Lee, or cheaper Cokin, systems.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 17, 2012 23:38 |  #6

Buy a 77mm filter and then a 72->77mm adapter. Also I would recommend the B+W 10-stop filter as well. I have a 6-stop filter and consider it essential.

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

aegid
506 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 17, 2012 23:46 |  #7

Note that with variable ND filters you will get an X in photo when at wide angles and with the maximum light reduction. If you're aiming to do 30" exposures in bright daylight you'll have to use a standard ND.

5d3,17-40,24-105,24 1.4,85 1.4,70-200 2.8 is ii

kristin6
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 18, 2012 07:35 |  #8

Thanks everyone! I'll get the 77mm B+W 10 stop multi coat with the step up and I'll sacrifice the hood. The only lens that will impact right now is the 150mm Macro which I don't think will be a big deal.

sponsored links

2,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
What ND filters for this effect? AND bonus question about circ pol.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.