Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 28 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

carry on weight - hever had problems?

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 28, 2012 19:45 |  #1

I'm curious how you guys travel with your gear. I doubt you check it in, right? I'd LOVE to do so, but insurance doesn't cover one lens, let alone a whole back of tricks.
So I fill my backpack with camera, lenses, laptop, chargers, etc and pretend it weights nothing.
So far I've been lucky, they never put it on a scale, but yesterday my family flew back to Germany and I noticed that at least one United guy was asking people to put their carry on on the scale. I've had 25+lb in there, way over the allowed 9lb.

Curious how you avoid getting busted or having to pay extra? I'm considering a rolling Pelican case in the future, that would be even heavier (but have more room).

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

sponsored links
Tc202
Goldmember
1,941 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 28, 2012 19:53 |  #2

I fly so much international and domestic with 25+ pounds and never been checked.

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 28, 2012 19:59 |  #3

I use a pelican case, but never been asked about weight. I've flown internationally as well (Europe / Japan / Canada) from the US, and never had issues.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,681 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 29, 2012 08:35 |  #4

Typically the airlines allow a single piece of carry-on luggage, plus a personal item, e.g., a laptop or a purse (for women). My "personal item" is a backpack with two bodies, three lenses, a laptop, an iPad, a set of Bose big noise cancelling headphones, the chargers, and a sweater. Never had a problem whether I fly domestic or international.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

phantelope
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 30, 2012 11:43 |  #5

maybe they don't check then. They did check my stuff in Germany once, luckily I had somehow expected that and had my real carry on (camera bag) with my parents who were sitting on a bench somewhere, so I only had my little shoulder bag and the kid's stuff, all scaled in fine.

Not sure what they'd done if not. Nowadays I try to just hide my carry on behind the counter at my feet or have it with the kid's backpacks etc on a small bag trolley, one of those folding things. (best thing I ever bought for about $20 by the way!)

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

ChrisSearle
352 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: My time is divided between Totnes, UK, Mumbai, India and The Ardeche region of Southern France..

Sep 18, 2012 00:14 as a reply to  @ phantelope's post |  #6

I fly all over the world, sometimes budget, sometimes economy and sometimes business, I have a BIG Crumpler full of lenses and bodies that weighs , ahem, rather more than my allowance and it often gets weighed. However, I point out that it is full of delicate camera gear and I have always been waved through, have never had to pay a penny extra...so far.

Chris:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jeaunse23/ (external link)
5D Mk iii, 1D MkiiN, 1Ds Mkii. Zeiss 21 mm Distagon, Canon 24-105 L. Sigma 150 Macro. Canon 400 L. Sigma 50 Nikkor 24 mm 1.4 Ricoh GRD3 Canon G1X Fuji X100,Sigma DP2M and a bunch of other stuff.

My Sigma DP2M blog at:http://chrissearlesdp2​m.blogspot.in/ (external link)

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 18, 2012 01:17 as a reply to  @ ChrisSearle's post |  #7

I am having sleepless nights over this issue. I am flying to Barcelona next month from UK using Ryanair (ugh). They stipulate a 10kg limit on weight of carry on. I want to take all my kit with me in carry on but the 300mm F2.8 weighs nearly half the allowance and the bag weighs 3kg. I do not think I can risk it. How much risk is there is putting the majority in checked baggage, carefully wrapped in clothes?

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

Lbsimon
2,681 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 18, 2012 11:38 |  #8

Plumtreelad wrote in post #15007415 (external link)
I am having sleepless nights over this issue. I am flying to Barcelona next month from UK using Ryanair (ugh). They stipulate a 10kg limit on weight of carry on. I want to take all my kit with me in carry on but the 300mm F2.8 weighs nearly half the allowance and the bag weighs 3kg. I do not think I can risk it. How much risk is there is putting the majority in checked baggage, carefully wrapped in clothes?

First, unless you really really need it, and have a special reason to bring it with you - then don't. I do not remember ever needing a long telephoto in Barcelona or anywhere in Catalonia. Maybe to shoot architectural details on Sagrada Familia, but I would not want to drag a 5 kilo lens just for that.

Secondly, of course you can safely pack your photo equipment in checked luggage. But what are you going to do if the luggage is lost? I had this happened a few times. Once, when my suitcase was delivered to me to the hotel the next day, half of the things were stolen from it. It is easy to replace a shirt or a sweater in Barcelona, but what are you going to do if your photo equipment is now missing?

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 18, 2012 14:47 |  #9

Lbsimon wrote in post #15009231 (external link)
First, unless you really really need it, and have a special reason to bring it with you - then don't. I do not remember ever needing a long telephoto in Barcelona or anywhere in Catalonia. Maybe to shoot architectural details on Sagrada Familia, but I would not want to drag a 5 kilo lens just for that.

Secondly, of course you can safely pack your photo equipment in checked luggage. But what are you going to do if the luggage is lost? I had this happened a few times. Once, when my suitcase was delivered to me to the hotel the next day, half of the things were stolen from it. It is easy to replace a shirt or a sweater in Barcelona, but what are you going to do if your photo equipment is now missing?

I am taking the 300mm because I am shooting a European Field Hockey competition. Thanks for the heads up about lost checked baggage. I would certainly be in trouble if I was there at the game but my caeras where somewhere else. I have decided to pack everything in hand luggage and have the debate about excess baggage when I get to the airport .. unless anyone has another idea?

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)

nordlysBW
362 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 19, 2012 16:12 as a reply to  @ Plumtreelad's post |  #10

Ryanair seem to check both the size and weight of carry-ons much more often than they used to. Perhaps because a lot of passengers cram a lot of stuff into their carry-ons and do not check-in any luggage at all to avoid the extra charge which applies from the first piece of luggage with this no-frills airline.

shinksma
709 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Sep 20, 2012 09:57 |  #11

How much did you save buying the ticket on Ryanair compared to a competing, more-customer-friendly airline? Take some of that savings and find out if you can still get on board but pay a penalty. EDIT: nevermind, I just checked their website:

Extra/oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £50/€50. If you are unsure, check at the Bag Drop desk before going through security.

Of course, Ryanair's CEO thinks his customers are idiots and deserved to be punished for not following their bizarre rules (e.g. 60 euros for a boarding pass if you didn't print out at home/hotel). I avoid airlines like this (e.g. Spirit in the US) for these reasons.

So...I wouldn't fly Ryanair ever again, if I were you.

shinksma

5DII | T3i | EF 17-40 L | EF 24-105 L | EF 24 1.4 L II | EF 28 1.8 | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8 L IS II | EF 100-400 L | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS USM | EF-S 10-22 USM | EF 100 2.8 Macro USM | EF-S 18-55 IS | EF 35-80 III | EF-S 55-250 IS | Rokinon 8mm FE | EF 75-300 non-USM III | SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 70-210 | 430EX II | Kenko 2x MC4 and 1.4x Pro300DGX TC

Plumtreelad
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 20, 2012 10:40 as a reply to  @ shinksma's post |  #12

I agree I will not chose to fly with them again. On this occasion I had little choice. I have managed to get what I need into a cabin bag and still remain under 10kg .. but only just.

flickr (external link)

phonedrn8
92 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 21, 2012 08:53 |  #13

I would email or look up online and find out what the restictions are for carry on print it out and put in your camera bag any problems BAM!!! here it is have a good day and board the AirPlane

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,269 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 22, 2012 20:06 |  #14

Lbsimon wrote in post #15009231 (external link)
Secondly, of course you can safely pack your photo equipment in checked luggage. But what are you going to do if the luggage is lost? I had this happened a few times. Once, when my suitcase was delivered to me to the hotel the next day, half of the things were stolen from it.

Having equipment stolen or damaged doesn't meet my definition of safe. And of course the airlines wont take any responsibility so you better have sufficient insurance to get everything replaced.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Lbsimon
2,681 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 23, 2012 11:15 |  #15

Dan Marchant wrote in post #15029474 (external link)
Having equipment stolen or damaged doesn't meet my definition of safe. And of course the airlines wont take any responsibility so you better have sufficient insurance to get everything replaced.

Semantics. Under "safely" I meant "secure from damage", and the meaning was clear from the OP and my explanation. Did you have to try to get into an argument?

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110

sponsored links

6,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
carry on weight - hever had problems?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.