Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 22:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Europe vacation - bring which lenses & storage [ lens storage decisions european ]

snowblower
123 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 06, 2012 12:47 |  #46

I went to Europe and took everything in my sig. below except for the 85L. If I were to do it over again I would leave the 85L and the 100-400 at home. Main streets/cities in Europe are very tight so the wide angle (my case 16-35) is a must. The 24-70 was used as the primary walk-around and I found that inside many of the buildings (churches) the 70-200 worked better than the others for picking up detail. I could stand further away and have a better angle for shooting stain glass, etc. with the 70-200. I wouldn't go there without a tripod but if you don't want to fly with one I would pick up an inexpensive one in one of the big cities you visit and leave it behind when you return home.

Canon 1D-X Mk II | Canon 1D-X | Canon 5DIII |Canon 8-15 F4L Fisheye | Canon 16-35 F2.8L | Canon 24-70 F2.8L II | Canon 35 F1.4L II | Canon 50 F1.2L | Canon 85 F1.2L II | Canon 70-200 F2.8L II IS | Canon 400 f2.8L | Canon 200-400 f4 IS Extender 1.4xL | Canon 800 F5.6L | Speed Light 600 EX II x6

sponsored links
Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 15, 2012 22:23 |  #47

My trip is in the near future. I'm now having second thoughts on which bag to bring.

Domke f3x
Timbuk2 snoop xS
Lowepro 200aw photo sport backpack

I'm going to bring 5D,24-105,16-35,35L.
The snoop will not allow me to carry more than 2 lenses, which is ok...
But there isnt much room for any personal items. It's low key, which is good.
The Domke allows personal gear but is not as safe.
The backpack is big, has AW protection. Would have to be very careful in Barcelona.

BAG Reviews, master list!
Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Wissigle
204 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 16, 2012 11:02 |  #48

domke would be my advise. The snoop is too small, definitely a bonus to be able to fit keys, books, jacket in a bag if need be. The lowepro smacks of 'tourist with lots of photo equipment' but the domke is less conspicuous and will fit everything. No one is going to steal anything out of your bag unless you leave the bag unattended (or you're drunk and don't notice)....

Have fun, good lens selection!

Dj R wrote in post #14997047 (external link)
My trip is in the near future. I'm now having second thoughts on which bag to bring.

Domke f3x
Timbuk2 snoop xS
Lowepro 200aw photo sport backpack

I'm going to bring 5D,24-105,16-35,35L.
The snoop will not allow me to carry more than 2 lenses, which is ok...
But there isnt much room for any personal items. It's low key, which is good.
The Domke allows personal gear but is not as safe.
The backpack is big, has AW protection. Would have to be very careful in Barcelona.

Wissigle
Gear

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2012 11:34 |  #49

Wissigle wrote in post #14998576 (external link)
domke would be my advise. The snoop is too small, definitely a bonus to be able to fit keys, books, jacket in a bag if need be. The lowepro smacks of 'tourist with lots of photo equipment' but the domke is less conspicuous and will fit everything. No one is going to steal anything out of your bag unless you leave the bag unattended (or you're drunk and don't notice)....

Have fun, good lens selection!

thx brooklyn! I agree. but the domke does look like a camera bag, that's my only problem.
wonder if I would be better off with the snoop small, instead of the xs. I currently have both.

cheers

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 16, 2012 14:23 |  #50

When in Europe I usually take a Tamrac bag very similar to your Domke f3x. It fits a single body with three lenses (one attached). And I still have to have a backpack for the personal stuff - guide books, water, jacket, maps, etc. Lately, when my wife decided to take her SLR with her too, I had to switch to a Kata backpack, because now it is two bodies and four lenses, but the photo backpack also serves as a backpack for personal stuff as well.

If you take the backpack, don't think that you will look anything special. Barcelona is one the most touristy cities in the world, there will be hundreds of people carrying photo backpacks and having expensive SLRs hanging on their necks. But you are correct, you should be careful there. Barcelona is very safe, but it is also one of the most infamous cities in the world as far as pickpocketing is concerned. Just be aware of your surroundings, do not leave the bag open, don't let it out of your site even for a second, don't let strangers to help you clean up your shirt after they "accidentally" spilled coffee on you, and you should be all set.

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2012 14:59 |  #51

thx Lbsimon. I will use the domke as my personal item.
I think you and brooklyn are right, nice to have that lil extra space for personal items.
cheers

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 16, 2012 22:45 |  #52

anyone ever try a tether system. I think would work well cities where you're concerned that someone is going to try to grab your camera out of your hands or off your chest.

I use a luma cinch strap.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8179/7994646053_ffb883a36f.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/imryanmac/79946​46053/  (external link)

I put the "luma membrane" on, normally it's where the other half of the strap connects to the camera. but I installed it only to connect it to an independent "tether strap" that will connect to my belt. the tether stays sort of hidden under my shirt. it's connected to the tripod thread. it works well. if someone were to try to either grab my camera and run, or cut the strap and run, regardless of how they try to take the camera (aside from a gun) I'll be going with them.

Stealth and quickly removable, part time security.

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 17, 2012 13:05 as a reply to  @ Dj R's post |  #53

Got to this thread pretty late.

Glad you're bringing the 24-105. It was my ONLY lens for the 5D2 on our 10 day trip of Italy (Florence, Sienna, Venice, Rome). We also had a G12, A2200 and 2 iPhones. The 24-105 was good for 98% of the shots. It's only lack was sometimes it wasn't wide enough, so your wide zoom will be good. I NEVER thought I needed something longer (e.g., a 70-200).

Have a great time!

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 17, 2012 13:37 as a reply to  @ oaktree's post |  #54

I just returned from Romania and Croatia, and a day in Paris. I had brought along the Crumpler 7 MDH bag with a 5D3 + 24-105, a 5D3 + 16-35 II, a 70-200 f/4L IS, 85 1.8, two 430EX II Speedlites, tripod + head for night exposures, some CP/ND filters, and an S95. Honestly, I could have done without the 85 1.8 since the three zooms cover the full range. I had to bring two bodies since stopping to change lenses often would not fly with my company ;) plus the redundancy doesn't hurt. The bag was small enough to be considered a personal item by the airlines.

-Paul
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS II USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT x2

Lbsimon
2,685 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 17, 2012 19:29 |  #55

s2kdriver80 wrote in post #15004222 (external link)
I just returned from Romania and Croatia, and a day in Paris. I had brought along the Crumpler 7 MDH bag with a 5D3 + 24-105, a 5D3 + 16-35 II, a 70-200 f/4L IS, 85 1.8, two 430EX II Speedlites, tripod + head for night exposures, some CP/ND filters, and an S95. Honestly, I could have done without the 85 1.8 since the three zooms cover the full range.

Did you enjoy your vacation, or was it a weightlifting competition?

When in Europe I usually carry one crop camera with a Sigma 17-70, plus two small extra lenses (10-20 and 35mm) in the bag, no long telephoto, no flashes, and still by the end of the day I get tired to carry all this. Anything more than that, and I will not enjoy my vacation.

Dj ­ R
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,988 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 17, 2012 19:57 |  #56

oaktree wrote in post #15004053 (external link)
Got to this thread pretty late.

Glad you're bringing the 24-105. It was my ONLY lens for the 5D2 on our 10 day trip of Italy (Florence, Sienna, Venice, Rome). We also had a G12, A2200 and 2 iPhones. The 24-105 was good for 98% of the shots. It's only lack was sometimes it wasn't wide enough, so your wide zoom will be good. I NEVER thought I needed something longer (e.g., a 70-200).

Have a great time!

I almost sold it, back when I got the 5D3, but I've kept it for this trip. thx for your reply!

s2kdriver80 wrote in post #15004222 (external link)
I just returned from Romania and Croatia, and a day in Paris. I had brought along the Crumpler 7 MDH bag with a 5D3 + 24-105, a 5D3 + 16-35 II, a 70-200 f/4L IS, 85 1.8, two 430EX II Speedlites, tripod + head for night exposures, some CP/ND filters, and an S95. Honestly, I could have done without the 85 1.8 since the three zooms cover the full range. I had to bring two bodies since stopping to change lenses often would not fly with my company ;) plus the redundancy doesn't hurt. The bag was small enough to be considered a personal item by the airlines.

good info thank you. enjoy your trip?

Lbsimon wrote in post #15005883 (external link)

When in Europe I usually carry one crop camera with a Sigma 17-70, plus two small extra lenses (10-20 and 35mm) in the bag, no long telephoto, no flashes, and still by the end of the day I get tired to carry all this. Anything more than that, and I will not enjoy my vacation.

this scares me a bit. I may bring a 4mdh for when I just want a camera with a single lens.

Tons of Sony gear
Some Canon gear

s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 18, 2012 01:17 |  #57

Lbsimon wrote in post #15005883 (external link)

I'm used to it, wasn't much of a burden, and I'm 5'9" 145 lbs. The 70-200 f/4 IS isn't that much heavier than the 24-105. The Crumpler 7 MDH has a padded strap and hangs from the shoulder comfortably. The gear was on my person from the moment I left the hotel to when I returned at night.

-Paul
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS II USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT x2

s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 18, 2012 01:24 |  #58

Dj R wrote in post #15006015 (external link)
I almost sold it, back when I got the 5D3, but I've kept it for this trip. thx for your reply!

good info thank you. enjoy your trip?

this scares me a bit. I may bring a 4mdh for when I just want a camera with a single lens.

No problem, trip was great! I would do a test run and carry around your gear for a full day before going on the trip to see if you can manage. Everyone has different tolerances/stamina. For me, carrying two full frames with three zoom lenses, a flash or two, and filters all day is a non-issue. But then again, I'm 32 with no physical issues.

-Paul

snake0ape
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 18, 2012 01:42 |  #59

If your going in October and November ill bring a flash and tripod too. Europe has short days in winter. Interiors are always dark and I used my short tripod a lot. Europe is photogenic. So if you can, bring all your gear. Leave some at your place of stay and fill your day bag with what you want to use for the day. The day bag should be stealth especially in Italy. Insure your gear. You will walk a lot. So carrying your full gear from airport to train station to hotel is a chore. Hiking boots is a must. And prepare for rain too. Don't bring much of anything else but camera gear.

5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters

Lbsimon
2,685 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 18, 2012 11:28 |  #60

snake0ape wrote in post #15007469 (external link)
If your going in October and November ill bring a flash and tripod too. Europe has short days in winter. Interiors are always dark and I used my short tripod a lot.

Can anybody even imagine a tripod at a popular tourist attraction in Europe, such a Trevi Fountain in Rome or on Rambla in Barcelona? It will be knocked down in no time. And most museums ban flash photography (some, such as d'Orsey, ban photography altogether).

If it is a vacation, not a paying photo gig, travel light. For me in Europe - one body, two or three light lenses, and no long telephoto.

sponsored links

16,909 views & 0 likes for this thread
Europe vacation - bring which lenses & storage [ lens storage decisions european ]
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.