Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Sep 2012 (Sunday) 05:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

why does canon make calculators?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,013 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 17, 2012 16:21 |  #46

Wilt wrote in post #15000295 (external link)
I wonder if the "bumblebees should not be able to fly" conclusion was arrived at in the days of the slide rule, or if we needed the precision of the computer to arrive at that conclusion! :lol:

It was the precision of early computers that was the problem. As the saying goes, "A computer is always certain of its response. It's not always correct, but it's always certain."

It took more sophisticated computers able to integrate a lot more modeling data to conclude that a bumblebee really can fly.

sponsored links
Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 17, 2012 16:21 |  #47

Because they are an electronics manufacturer and calculators are electronics.

Gear List

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,013 posts
Joined May 2004

Sep 17, 2012 16:24 |  #48

I learned how to use a slide rule in 1966 in the sixth grade. That was the year I read Robert A. Heinlein's "Have Space Suit-Will Travel." I begged my mother to buy me one.

I still have my last slide rule, right here on my desk.

dan_bgblue
632 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 17, 2012 16:52 |  #49

rick_reno wrote in post #14998280 (external link)
i shouldn't say this, but i recall using a slide rule in my first couple years of college. calculators hadn't shown up yet, and when they did hit the scene many i had professors who wouldn't let us use them.

+1

I still have my old slide rule. Do not remember how to use it but I still have it.;)

Gear list: S5IS, 40D, Canon 17-55 f2.8 IS, Canon 70-200 f4 L IS, Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM, Canon 50mm f1.8 mk1, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM, 430EXII, Kenko 1.4x TC, tripod

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 17, 2012 21:33 |  #50

so we will have the ability to add up all the damn money we spend on Canon gear! ;)

My FLickrPage (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 17, 2012 23:36 |  #51

alann wrote in post #15006564 (external link)
so we will have the ability to add up all the damn money we spend on Canon gear! ;)

We need one that can tell when you put in the prices of L lenses and automatically divides by 10.

'See honey, all those lenses really only add up to $1000'

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

koffikapp
45 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 18, 2012 12:35 |  #52

I've been using Canon calculators for years. That's how I got into photography actually, upon discovering that Canon manufactured other products as well, I had to get my hands on a DSLR and some lenses, as I was so loyal to my beloved calculator brand. Truthfully, before this I had never even heard about "cameras" - thank you Canon calculators!

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 18, 2012 12:47 |  #53

Many companies make items they are not known to make.

Yamaha, known for motorcycles, also makes musical instruments.
Kawasaki, again motorcycles, also makes farm implements.
Mitshubishi also made airplanes at one time.
Chrysler used to make boats also.

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 18, 2012 12:59 |  #54

number six wrote in post #15004770 (external link)
You could always try a pencil and paper.

Yes, it's easy to do square roots on paper - essentially the same algorithm as long division. I learned how in the sixth grade, way back in the middle of the last century...

-js

The square root is extremely quickly converging - doubling number of value digits each iteration.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 18, 2012 18:21 |  #55

ssim wrote in post #14999786 (external link)
This is a weird question/thread. Sort of someone not associated with photography asking why do they bother to make cameras. Canon is a huge conglomerate and they make more off of their business machine units than they do off the consumer division (where cameras fall). The below chart is from their 2010 annual report and shows what percentage of sales comes from which division and what falls within that division. I would think that calculators fall in the office business unit.

interesting graph

melcat
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 19, 2012 02:50 |  #56

YamahaRob wrote in post #15009594 (external link)

I think you have that one backwards. Yamaha is by far the largest musical instrument maker in the world. Apart from some reed organs when they first started up, to get capital, their business was originally pianos. In WW II, piano factories in all countries were repurposed for war production, and it was only after the war that Yamaha went into the motorcycle business, since they now had the machinery for that.

The logo is tuning forks, not a bike wheel as many think.

These days they make trumpets and other instruments as well as pianos. I don't know whether it's still true with all the cheap pianos coming out of southern China, but a few years ago Yamaha was the world's biggest piano maker by a wide margin.

Whether you prefer the Steinway or Yamaha sound is a matter of taste; Kawai also have their followers.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 19, 2012 02:54 |  #57

YamahaRob wrote in post #15009594 (external link)
Many companies make items they are not known to make.

Kawasaki, again motorcycles, also makes farm implements.
Mitshubishi also made airplanes at one time.
Chrysler used to make boats also.

General Motors used to have divisions that made appliances, tanks, missiles, satellites, provided data storage solutions and made print and TV ads.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 19, 2012 03:10 |  #58

melcat wrote in post #15012634 (external link)
I think you have that one backwards. Yamaha is by far the largest musical instrument maker in the world. Apart from some reed organs when they first started up, to get capital, their business was originally pianos. In WW II, piano factories in all countries were repurposed for war production, and it was only after the war that Yamaha went into the motorcycle business, since they now had the machinery for that.

The logo is tuning forks, not a bike wheel as many think.

These days they make trumpets and other instruments as well as pianos. I don't know whether it's still true with all the cheap pianos coming out of southern China, but a few years ago Yamaha was the world's biggest piano maker by a wide margin.

Whether you prefer the Steinway or Yamaha sound is a matter of taste; Kawai also have their followers.

Most people up I know think motorcycle when you mention Yamaha. :lol:

I do like to have fun with people up here with Pontiac G8's and Pontiac GTOs and compliment them on nice looking Commodores and Monaros. usually messes with their heads (since they are rebadged Holdens).

Had a guy who used to live across the street from me that worked for GM, bought a new 2004 GTO and the next time he seen me outside by my Yamaha, he yells across "See what an American car company can design and build" while pointing to his GTO. Just yelled back "Look at the door sticker and tell me where it was assembled and made". He looked, looked back at me with a scowl and slammed the door and went inside his house. A week later the Aussie made GTO was gone. He refuses to buy any car made outside the US or with a "foreign" nameplate. Right before I moved in 08, he bought a brand new Pontiac G8 GT. I just didnt have the heart to tell him he bought another Aussie built car. :D

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 19, 2012 03:42 |  #59

DavidR wrote in post #14998178 (external link)
For what its worth, I had two Canon calculators fail within a year.

My Staples brand I bought for $1.99 is going strong after two years. :lol:

Thats because Canon heard that you like Nikon better... LOL

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

Riles
305 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 27, 2012 17:42 |  #60

I saw the listing and immediately thought of this thread.

http://boston.craigsli​st.org/nos/zip/3300923​396.html (external link)

A little piece of Canon history there if anyone was interested. Only about $6900 in today's dollars!

http://www.oldcalculat​ormuseum.com/canon130s​.html (external link)

sponsored links

6,553 views & 0 likes for this thread
why does canon make calculators?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.