Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Sep 2012 (Monday) 06:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: G15 announced

ceremus
266 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 19, 2012 12:20 |  #61

Tommydigi wrote in post #15014161 (external link)
I can see not wanting to upgrade but why is a faster lens with faster autofocus a bad thing and how is this going to kill the G15? This forum seems to attract a lot of people who just want to vent their frustrations if the latest offering is not for them.

For real. If you have some irrational dislike of larger apertures great, get yourself a damn superzoom bridge camera and be done with it. The whole reason they have these P&S with more modest zoom lengths of 3x-5x is so you can have a larger maximum aperture throughout the range. The presumption that making these lenses faster will harm their sales (if that's what is meant by "killed the G15"), is insane. That was half the draw in the first place.

My flickriver (external link)

sponsored links
rsj87
306 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 19, 2012 12:23 |  #62

Tommydigi wrote in post #15014161 (external link)
I can see not wanting to upgrade but why is a faster lens with faster autofocus a bad thing and how is this going to kill the G15? This forum seems to attract a lot of people who just want to vent their frustrations if the latest offering is not for them.

I agree. The faster lens is what sold me as that affects an exposure more so than a flip screen.

Canon T4i | 580EX II | 18-135mm STM | 50mm f1.4 | Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
Canon G7x
Sony RX10
Olympus TG-3 waterproof

steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 19, 2012 12:27 as a reply to  @ post 15014263 |  #63

I am not frustrated, nor venting. I'm simply stating, what I do not see as any advantage to buying the G15. It will be a long time before I think about up-grading to any other model. It was 5 years this last time, as long as the G12 lasts it could be 15 years. I don't get into spending money, as long as what I have does what I ask of it. Or do I feel, I have to keep up with the latest, or the Jones' either.

So far I have not had the experience, of the G12 not doing what I ask of it. I don't expect miracles from it, only solid operation. I am not ready to spend 1/2 a grand, on 10¢ worth of increase.
But how many dollars worth have been dropped by the G15, by dropping external controlls and the flip screen (which now in bright light you will wish you had on the G15). Well that is unless you are happy, with the light tunnel on top of it.

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

islandboy
32 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 19, 2012 14:11 |  #64

Personally, I think the G15 looks like an interesting camera. I do a lot of traveling and underwater photography all handheld so the faster lens is a huge benefit. I loved my older G5 and really missed the faster lens when I switched to the G11. I do like the swivel screen and would have preferred to keep it but it is not a deal breaker for me. I had been looking at the G1x or the Olympus OMD for better low light performance handheld so the G15 could fill that need at a much lower cost. The iso dial is nice but also easy to accidentally change when changing shooting modes - especially underwater. I am interested to see the noise performance although with a faster lens, those higher iso levels become significantly less necessary. I only wish the size had remained similar enough to my G11 so I wouldn't be looking at a new underwater housing.

Canon EOS 40D, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS, Speedlite 430EX II, G5, G11 with underwater housing, Powershot A95 with underwater housing, SD850is, Vixia HF S100

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,652 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined May 2010

Sep 19, 2012 14:17 |  #65

islandboy wrote in post #15014908 (external link)
I had been looking at the G1x or the Olympus OMD for better low light performance handheld so the G15 could fill that need at a much lower cost.

I doubt this will be the greatest camera for low light low noise. I believe the sensor is pretty small but for a point and shoot I would imagine it will be pretty decent especially with the faster lens. My wife has an S95 and it's pretty decent for a point and shoot so I would expect slightly better performance.

I too thought about the GX1 or 4/3 but I don't want to get into another set of lenses or a really big point and shoot that I may as well just take my DSLR and a small lens. I am pretty set on ordering the G15 I just want to see if I can get one before my trip. If not I will probably just wait until holiday time.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 19, 2012 23:52 |  #66

No flip screen is a deal killer for me also.
I just want to say "stupid."

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

dithiolium
697 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 20, 2012 00:37 |  #67

I'll get a G15 to replace my XTi. Will be skipping the EOS-M.
Excellent specs in a size smaller than G12.

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis of a government
Gear List / Flickr (external link)

Gil ­ Bean
515 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 21, 2012 14:54 as a reply to  @ dithiolium's post |  #68

steve40 expresses my thoughts quite well.

I am not denigrating the G15. My understanding is the ISO is now controlled at the 4-arrow button. I do prefer the flip screen. What I am saying is there are not enough "improvements" to warrant buying a 15 when I purchased a 12 two years ago. I think the f1.8, faster lens, and AF are great. Why Canon dropped f2 is a mystery to me (for a little more Zoom?). Canon saves a few mm by using a fixed screen but the G15 is still not a "pocket" camera. It seems Canon improves one aspect by "crippling" or "deleting” 2 or 3 other very good options. I simply do not understand Canon's marketing strategy or lack thereof.

Gil

G3, G6, G12, T2i + kit lens & accoutrements

NikStar
203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 21, 2012 15:14 |  #69

I'm a form G12 owner and was curious what the next one would be. I luv that the lens is now f/1.8 wide open----but seriously, no articulating screen??? May as well take a look at the S110 instead.

Nik
Canon T3i | 18-55mm IS kit lens | 50mm f1.8 "nifty-fifty" | 40mm f2.8 "pancake" | 24mm f/2.8 "pancake" | Canon Speedlight 430ex II | Canon EOS M10 | Canon G9x

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 21, 2012 16:40 |  #70

scorpio_e wrote in post #15014263 (external link)
I'm sticking with the G14 !!! ;)

Who comes with with these names?

apparently they missed out 13 & 14 because these numbers are regarded as unlucky in some parts of the world (read this on some canon site)

Gear List

oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 21, 2012 17:26 as a reply to  @ post 15004463 |  #71

My T4i, G12 and NEX-7 have flip screens (well, the NEX-7 is 1/2 flip). No flip screen on the G15 :mad: Well, Canon has taken the flip screen away before and then brought it back. The G16 will have a flip screen.

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 22, 2012 06:38 |  #72

I had to pop out my screen a couple weeks ago to remind me that it does swivel on the G12. Not a big issue for me personally. The new G15 features are however. If you are limited to f4-5.6 like many of us on DSLR on most lenses within a reasonable price, the 1.8-2.8 apeture range is great. I have 2 G12 cameras in this household so replacing one with a G15 for a couple hundred dollars difference and still able to use the same attachments is fine with me. I am very anxious to get ahold of one to put my Nikon wide angle adaptor on it. I love it on my G12. With a large investment in accessories for G12 its good to see they still attach to the new G15.

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 22, 2012 06:49 |  #73

Gil Bean wrote in post #15024683 (external link)
steve40 expresses my thoughts quite well.

I am not denigrating the G15. My understanding is the ISO is now controlled at the 4-arrow button. I do prefer the flip screen. What I am saying is there are not enough "improvements" to warrant buying a 15 when I purchased a 12 two years ago. I think the f1.8, faster lens, and AF are great. Why Canon dropped f2 is a mystery to me (for a little more Zoom?). Canon saves a few mm by using a fixed screen but the G15 is still not a "pocket" camera. It seems Canon improves one aspect by "crippling" or "deleting” 2 or 3 other very good options. I simply do not understand Canon's marketing strategy or lack thereof.

Gil

You dont think it has something to do with keeping the camera in the sub 500.00 price range?

Norman ­ B
352 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 22, 2012 09:07 |  #74

G12 vs G15

I would buy the G12 again and use the price difference to put towards the purchase of a set of GNDs and CPL.

Canon plug.

Canon's RAW converter is very good in addition to the recent DPP upgrade which includes the new HDR tool. First time Canon buyers might want to consider the photo editing sofware that comes with the camera they are looking at as well.

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 22, 2012 10:26 |  #75

wha-BAM! Canon finally put the lens I wanted to see on the G1X.

I'd buy a G15 over a G1X any day of the week...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

104,513 views & 2 likes for this thread
G15 announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.