Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 18:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need a lens for the 7D for large family portrait

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 19, 2012 14:44 |  #31

Indoors on a crop with 10 people your best hope is the canon 17-55 f/2.8 is

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,502 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 19, 2012 14:56 |  #32

IMO you'd be playing a risky game trying to get shallow dof in a home when a family group shot is concerned. Limited space on top of having a row or two of people in a small group will need some stopping down of a lens.

Many indoor photos of a group I'd see the environment as part of the details of the photo. However if it was a mother/or dad holding a child hugging etc you can try to land the shot using a 24L or 35L at f/1.4 using available light or bounced.

For outdoor photos I love using an 85 or 70-200 and distance myself from the family. This gives beautiful compression to the photo. This is where you can become a bokeh junkie or stop down to get the background properly exposed with a spit of fill flash.

Indoors I love the cheap simple 5 foot shoot through photoflex umbrella or my massive 6 foot softbox umbrellabox.

For indoors any 17-50 range zoom will work since you will require to stop down the lens to focus on everyone.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 19, 2012 14:58 |  #33

17mm Tilt shift.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,133 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 19, 2012 15:04 |  #34

you can blur out the background with photoshop, get a sharp in focus picture first.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

jodi73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 19, 2012 16:00 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #35

Great news...they're willing to do the shoot outdoors, as the weather is supposed to be gorgeous here.

So to start the thread over again...what lens will be great for an OUTdoor photo shoot with 12 people; 4 children, 8 adults, sharp focus on the people, nice bokeh bgd.?

Thanks!

Jodi

drzenitram
824 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 19, 2012 16:13 |  #36

drzenitram wrote in post #15011204 (external link)
In order to blur out the background and take in a large amount of people you're either going to need a huge space behind the group, or you're going to need to use something in the telephoto range and be able to get pretty far back.

But, really, I'd go with something like a 35L and you'll probably be happy with the results. If you want to go the telephoto route, try an 85L and get back a bit.

Good luck!

(There's always the bernoulli effect if they're patient enough!)

If you have the space, go 85L. Get a really wide open space behind them and you'll have a blurred background. You'll need to be a ways back to get them all in the photo, though. Use a tripod!

| Bodies - 5D Mark II, T2i | Lenses - Helios 44-2, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Sigma 85 1.4, Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS, Tamron SP AF 1.4x TC | Lights - 430ex ii x2, Random 3rd party strobes

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Sep 19, 2012 18:15 |  #37

You are doing it for free? Use the 50 1.4 at f1.4. As the poster above says, outdoors separate them from the background. Make sure your camera is level and perpendicular to the group so all are in focus. Strongly suggest tripod. Lowest ISO at Av setting. Fire away.

Indoors, should something happen like a rainstorm, use your existing zoom at 28mm. Stage your people in group with couch and fireplace. No real need to blur background as it is likely a sentimental family scene. If you are too tight. Use tripod and make a series of panning shots allowing flash to build up fully for each shot for even bounced illumination. Then stitch results.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

markubig
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 19, 2012 20:16 |  #38

You're shooting a lot of people, so be careful shooting any of these lenses at wide apertures . . . that's gonna leave you with a really thin depth of field, so there's a chance some of them won't be in focus. If you shoot outside, separate the background from the group, so you can get some nice background blur at more workable apertures. increasing your distance between you and your subjects will also increase your depth of field. my 2 cents :)

~Mark
Canon 7D |40D
Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM | Tamron SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 MACRO USM

Canon Speedlites 580exII, 5800ex

downhillnews
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 19, 2012 20:19 |  #39

Yeah the 50 or an 85 F1.8 I would say the same shoot from F4 up to F8 or so to get that many people sharp!

WWW.DOWNHILLNEWS.COM (external link)
WWW.IJWPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
Phase One Certified Digital Tech

MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 19, 2012 22:01 |  #40

For indoors you will definitely like the 10-22 with the 7D. But be aware that at 10mm the built in flash will leave a shadow on the picture. Shoot longer or do not use the flash. For outdoors there are all kinds of possibilities. Again just remember to watch your lighting. Shadows on faces can be problematic.

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 19, 2012 22:04 as a reply to  @ post 15011214 |  #41

jodi73 wrote in post #15015458 (external link)
So to start the thread over again...what lens will be great for an OUTdoor photo shoot with 12 people; 4 children, 8 adults, sharp focus on the people, nice bokeh bgd.?

Nobody expects a blurred background with a large group. You will have to use your head and plan a decent background that will look good if it is in focus. Just use the 28-135 at about f8 and go to the park in front of some flowerbeds or a nice gate or wall, etc.

If you really want to do the blurred background, you'll want to shoot like a 300mm lens and bring some flags or a megaphone to signal to the family when you are going to take the picture.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Sep 19, 2012 23:00 |  #42

tkbslc wrote in post #15017089 (external link)
Nobody expects a blurred background with a large group. You will have to use your head and plan a decent background that will look good if it is in focus. Just use the 28-135 at about f8 and go to the park in front of some flowerbeds or a nice gate or wall, etc.

If you really want to do the blurred background, you'll want to shoot like a 300mm lens and bring some flags or a megaphone to signal to the family when you are going to take the picture.

My 50th HS class reunion was done that way, except the photographer and her assistant used cell phones. He moved people around as she directed. Besides me, there was another photographer in the class and we both knew that the picture would be crap. Huge group set small in big back and foreground--you could not identify yourself in the print. Wrong camera, wrong lens, wrong concept. We could have cared less that the country club names spelled out in a flower bed was visible--we wanted memories of who was there.

This image is an outdoor shot. Some of the same people as my earlier example, but more of the family. That's me on the lower right in the chair and I'm not smiling because I was suspicious the remote control and I were not on the same page. Canon T4i, 18-135mm STM at 18mm. ISO 100, in open shade, no flash, f5.6 at 1/60s on tripod. I would have been better served at f8 as the comment above says.

Distortion is not too bad. Back row is soft, however. From the original file it makes a nice print. Everyone can see themselves and their smiles clearly. I worked hard to place everyone so there wouldn't be anyone hidden. Took two shots from behind the camera and two with the remote. They were all family, so I could yell at them if they didn't cooperate.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

sponsored links

4,220 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need a lens for the 7D for large family portrait
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.