Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 17 Sep 2011 (Saturday) 14:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pulling a "professional photographer" look.

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,894 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 15, 2012 08:56 |  #61

sweet Id like one of those

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash
C and C welcome, Brutality Encouraged, Help Always Welcome Editing OK
www.firstdownphotos.ph​otoreflect.com (external link)
Flicker Page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/72506283@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
Hannya
Goldmember
1,062 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 15, 2012 09:33 |  #62

What a load of fashion victims LOL. In the UK its de rigueur to wear a crappy fluouresent Hi Viz so it doesn't really matter what you wear under it.

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sports Pics (external link)

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Aug 15, 2012 10:23 |  #63

sch_photo wrote in post #14860661 (external link)
You know I didn't mind wearing the Red NFL vest but last year they went to those uncomfortable tan ones. And I barely fit into a XL too.

The shrunk a lot didn't they? I do prefer not having the bright reds popping in the back of my photos though.

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

ChasWG
Goldmember
3,640 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 17, 2012 10:42 |  #64

I like to wear something lumpy and large and it usually weighs in at around 35 to 40 lbs. ;)

AFC Wildcard game last year.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6665082587_a403b2fe9e_z.jpg

As for actual clothing, I have a collection of darker blue shirts and shorts or jeans and some pale orange polo type shirts that I will wear to Broncos training facility or to the stadium. They aren't team colors I'm wearing, really... ;)
Black jacket over the top for cold weather.

As for up in the press box or on the sidelines, yeah, no cheering out loud. But it's fun watching everyone around you cheer and smile on the inside at these games. We are all fans, but we also like to continue to work, so we keep it on the inside and just smile a lot! :D
My view from the press box before the game.
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7008/6665099671_57a2983078_z.jpg

Chas Gordon
7D Gripped/40D Gripped/10-24/EF24-70 f2.8L/EF70-200 f4L/EF50 f1.8 Mk I/EF85 f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chaswg/ (external link)
http://vimeo.com/user9​461302/videos (external link)

froughty
133 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 18, 2012 16:01 |  #65

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #14804723 (external link)
If you are a professional, you will act professional. If you cheer on the sidelines, you will likely get your credential revoked and possibly be banned from the future. I have seen it happen. Every one of us down there are fans. I shoot my alma mater's games (where I played) and I am a huge fan and donor. But I don't cheer on the sidelines. A friend of mine is banned for life from shooting one of the three pro sports teams in his market.

I'm going to start shooting NFL wearing shoulderpads and a helmet. :lol:

Just out of curiosity, is there someone out there watching to make sure photographers aren't cheering?

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,894 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 18, 2012 18:04 |  #66

watch out for 38 sweep
or the smash route vs tampa 2

Canon 70D Gripped, Canon 1DII, 7D2 Canon gripped 70-200 2.8 ISM II, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 17-50 2.8, Canon 400 5.6 on loan, Canon 1.4 TC, Canon 550 EX flash

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 18, 2012 19:03 |  #67

froughty wrote in post #15010490 (external link)
Just out of curiosity, is there someone out there watching to make sure photographers aren't cheering?

Don't know if there's anyone actually "watching" per se, but there's a certain amount of self policing that goes on. If you're cheering you get noticed and we talk about you. I imagine it makes its way to the ears of the media department. For instance: last Texans season there was an individual who was at every game who would cheer LOUDLY from the sideline and take more pictures of the cheerleaders than he would of the players. He is (thankfully) absent this season.

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,894 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 18, 2012 19:46 |  #68

no time to freeking cheer
Im busy shooting

SFtag
35 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Sep 20, 2012 00:25 |  #69

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

IMAGE: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/313705_2463241339623_511035586_n.jpg

Luckily in my line of work it is common knowledge what IS and ISN'T professional.

Perosnally I hate having to wear these vests, but the NFL makes you. Wearing a company logo can also be an alternative. In my area wearing the network logos you are working for is an obvious choice, but doing the opposite, wearing a competitors is obviously not OK.

Now if only those photographers on the sideline would play nice and realize the difference between someone shooting for a news station and shooting for a national broadcast.

Professional Camera Operator
Amateur Photographer

Station15
118 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 20, 2012 10:06 |  #70

SFtag wrote in post #15017523 (external link)
Now if only those photographers on the sideline would play nice and realize the difference between someone shooting for a news station and shooting for a national broadcast.

In my opinion, photographers need to realize that video is a bit more important than stills. It's going out to a wider audience. I read during the Olympics that photographers said the videographers were a nuisance and got in their way a lot, but they know that it's their job to be right directly in front of them and that they should be there.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III | Canon EOS 1D Mark II | Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L | Canon 400mm f2.8 L | Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L

rgs-
900 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 20, 2012 10:08 |  #71

silvex wrote in post #13120096 (external link)
for daytime events that the sun is out I wear long white shirts...nite events...black ninja.

I lol'ed!

Ryan
www.ryansaundersphotog​raphy.com (external link)
stuff: 5DII : 1DIII : 17-40L : Σ50 1.4 : 70-200 2.8[COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=​Black]L IS II

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 20, 2012 15:19 |  #72

Station15 wrote in post #15018755 (external link)
In my opinion, photographers need to realize that video is a bit more important than stills. It's going out to a wider audience. I read during the Olympics that photographers said the videographers were a nuisance and got in their way a lot, but they know that it's their job to be right directly in front of them and that they should be there.

How many iconic sports videos can you think of? I'd be willing to bet that it's not nearly as many iconic sports photos you can think of. The big one's that come to mind all have photos that are shown just as much as the video clip. People don't frame DVD's and hang them on their wall, athletes don't autograph YouTube highlights.

That being said, I get that the NFL video guys are important, television is what drives the league. Does that make it any less annoying when I miss a shot because they have one of their big stupid bowl microphones in the way? Sure doesn't. Do I think that an SI cover photo resonates more with the viewer than a highlight on Sports Center? Absolutely.

burnet44
Cream of the Crop
7,894 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 20, 2012 16:56 |  #73

Ask Steve Sabol RIP

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 20, 2012 16:57 |  #74

arich wrote in post #15019934 (external link)
How many iconic sports videos can you think of? I'd be willing to bet that it's not nearly as many iconic sports photos you can think of. The big one's that come to mind all have photos that are shown just as much as the video clip. People don't frame DVD's and hang them on their wall, athletes don't autograph YouTube highlights.

That being said, I get that the NFL video guys are important, television is what drives the league. Does that make it any less annoying when I miss a shot because they have one of their big stupid bowl microphones in the way? Sure doesn't. Do I think that an SI cover photo resonates more with the viewer than a highlight on Sports Center? Absolutely.

Live Trumps All...

That's why the parabolic mics are there...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 20, 2012 18:12 |  #75

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #15020281 (external link)
Live Trumps All...

That's why the parabolic mics are there...

I thought that was because they thought photographers had it a little too easy and want to be a pita.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

15,861 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pulling a "professional photographer" look.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.