Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 03 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 02:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This is what a $400 budget gets you

pauly916
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 19, 2012 04:46 |  #151

Numenorean wrote in post #15007396 (external link)
They were intended to be B&W shots, so I don't have the color.

It doesn't matter what body or lens. You could do this with a Rebel and an 85mm 1.8 and the only difference would be the resolution.

Never a truer word spoken, the lighting on those b/w is superb. I get some crit on my shots which can sound harsh but if you take it on board and listen hopefully it helps you to progress. No one knows it all but there are guys on here that know a lot more than others.

Gear- who cares?
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
MDavey
THREAD ­ STARTER
516 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 19, 2012 23:35 |  #152

Any better?

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8317/8005205108_0f3d4e8787_c.jpg

A7s | 135L | Sigma 30mm ART | Canon 28mm 2.8 | Canon 15mm
Twitter @MDaveyy | Instagram @MDaveyy | Snapchat @MatDavey
mdaveyphoto.com

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 20, 2012 08:51 |  #153

That is a much better photo. The light on her shoulder and dress is a tad hot. I would have her fix the dress so you don't see the bra. Posing wise the way she is standing it looks like her stomach is being pushed out a bit - the stance makes her look bigger than she probably really is. Perhaps the arm is being held against the body as well? Hard to say for sure on that one.

Gear List

MDavey
THREAD ­ STARTER
516 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2009

Sep 20, 2012 10:23 |  #154

Numenorean wrote in post #15018504 (external link)
That is a much better photo. The light on her shoulder and dress is a tad hot. I would have her fix the dress so you don't see the bra. Posing wise the way she is standing it looks like her stomach is being pushed out a bit - the stance makes her look bigger than she probably really is. Perhaps the arm is being held against the body as well? Hard to say for sure on that one.

Nope she's pretty tall and what not. Everything you see is exactly how you see it :lol:

I do agree on the bra but I wanted to keep it fairly natural. I did PS the tag out though.

A7s | 135L | Sigma 30mm ART | Canon 28mm 2.8 | Canon 15mm
Twitter @MDaveyy | Instagram @MDaveyy | Snapchat @MatDavey
mdaveyphoto.com

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 20, 2012 11:16 |  #155

MDavey wrote in post #15018816 (external link)
Nope she's pretty tall and what not. Everything you see is exactly how you see it :lol:

I do agree on the bra but I wanted to keep it fairly natural. I did PS the tag out though.

By bigger I'm not talking about height.

Gear List

magnum808
321 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2012 12:58 |  #156

Numenorean wrote in post #15007370 (external link)
I post a few landscapes here and there. Mostly I'm comfortable with my work and I have other photographers who review my work and I review theirs. I mainly come here to help other people by giving critiques. Actual critiques. Not free pats on the back and "good jobs". If something is wrong, I will tell you. If you want more information, just ask. But here I attached a shot. This was an impromptu shoot done in natural light, no modifiers, taken from the camera and converted to B&W. This was done while I was explaining to some other local photographers what to look for when photographing in natural light and looking for where you can use light when you don't have a flash or reflector or anything with you. Second was from the same situation, showing how to use natural lighting conditions to mimic studio lighting, adding depth and dimension to a photo - even how you can find a place with great lighting in the middle of town, get catchlights in the eyes and turn out a good photo with completely natural lighting - at mid-day too. Also, before these photos I had never been to this location before so I had no idea where to go and had to figure it out on the fly - which was part of the lesson here.

Loving this guys ego.
So we have a model standing infront of a brick wall in the shade with natural light coming in on one side.... This shot can easily be taken with a cellphone and 5 mins of PS.

Canon 50D|Canon 5D
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
Sigma 50mm 1.4
Canon 430 EX II speedlite

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 20, 2012 13:22 |  #157

magnum808 wrote in post #15019422 (external link)
Loving this guys ego.
So we have a model standing infront of a brick wall in the shade with natural light coming in on one side.... This shot can easily be taken with a cellphone and 5 mins of PS.

lol...looks like you have a lot more to learn too.

Could you do this with a cellphone? Nope.

SOOC, no PS needed here. Posted to show what you could do with minimal equipment.

Gear List

magnum808
321 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 20, 2012 14:00 |  #158

Numenorean wrote in post #15019500 (external link)
lol...looks like you have a lot more to learn too.

Could you do this with a cellphone? Nope.

SOOC, no PS needed here. Posted to show what you could do with minimal equipment.

I agree with you 100%. I'm nowhere near my peak as a photographer and have a ton to learn. In fact, I plan to keep learning my for as long as im shooting.

Unlike you as I'm sure you have already grown as much as you ever will as a photographer.

Canon 50D|Canon 5D
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM
Sigma 50mm 1.4
Canon 430 EX II speedlite

Eric ­ Redard
477 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 20, 2012 14:20 |  #159

I'm sorry I'm coming into this conversation late. I too think you don't need very expensive gear for great pictures. I even prefer good old film. Does the $400 budget include the Photoshop, Lightroom, or whatever software you are using and the computer you are running it on?

Capturing The Spirit
Canon 5D

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 20, 2012 14:39 |  #160

I'm new here. Are all threads this hostile?

BTW, I'm southern so I'm used to tanned women. What's wrong with the skin tones?

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 20, 2012 15:14 |  #161

st3mpy wrote in post #15019785 (external link)
I'm new here. Are all threads this hostile?

BTW, I'm southern so I'm used to tanned women. What's wrong with the skin tones?

Purple is not a good skin tone. If your skin really is purple you should go see a doctor.

Gear List

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 20, 2012 15:14 |  #162

magnum808 wrote in post #15019633 (external link)
I agree with you 100%. I'm nowhere near my peak as a photographer and have a ton to learn. In fact, I plan to keep learning my for as long as im shooting.

Unlike you as I'm sure you have already grown as much as you ever will as a photographer.

I still have a lot to learn myself. That doesn't mean that I won't offer advice to others to help them get better.

Gear List

hyogen
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 20, 2012 15:24 |  #163

love the slip'n slide photo on your flickr mat. great photos :D

some people drank a lil too much haterade this morning :P

justinleeportland (external link)
facebook (external link)
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
EOS R, 24mm TS-E / RF 35mm 1.8 / RF 28-70 2.0 / EF 16-35 2.8 ii / EF 70-200 2.8 ii / Zhiyun Weebill S

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 20, 2012 15:32 |  #164

Numenorean wrote in post #15019912 (external link)
Purple is not a good skin tone. If your skin really is purple you should go see a doctor.

I'll agree with that statement.

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 20, 2012 15:32 |  #165

MDavey wrote in post #15018816 (external link)

Numenorean wrote in post #15019032 (external link)
By bigger I'm not talking about height.

Yeah Matt... he is referring to how flattering the pose is (or is not). Take a look at the back of her arm. It looks like her arm is simply resting against her body which in turn pushes out that bit of "flab" at the back. If she had just put her hand on her waist so her arm wasn't touching her body it would make her arm look thinner. Even on a girl that is already skinny, small adjustments like that will make a difference.

Laurence (external link) :: 6D + Lens

sponsored links

43,914 views & 0 likes for this thread
This is what a $400 budget gets you
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.