Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Sep 2012 (Thursday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zeiss Lenses

AdjustThePolarizer
64 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 20, 2012 17:55 |  #1

editeditedit

5D Mark III √
L glass √

sponsored links
anscochrome
443 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 20, 2012 18:18 |  #2

Nope-been using a Zeiss 35mm F 2.8 Distagon and a Zeiss 135mm F 2.8 Sonnar on a 5dII just fine and dandy for two + years. This one would be even nicer since it is native EF mount, not adapted, and you should get reliable focus confirmation with it. If you can afford the price of admission, go for it:)

http://anscochrome.zen​folio.com (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 20, 2012 19:39 |  #3

Love Zeiss. AF has it's place but, MF makes photography even more fun!

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 20, 2012 19:46 |  #4

MF is definitely slower than AF. I have put super-precision focusing screens in my 1D and 5D bodies so that I can see to focus. I also MA'ed the lens on each body so that the AF confirm feature is more accurate. With those steps, I can pretty reliably get in-focus images, just not all that fast.

The fastest way I've found is to focus from close to far, and as soon as the AF indicator winks, shoot the image. MA the lens using the technique to keep consistency.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,121 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 20, 2012 19:50 |  #5

DoF scales that really work are so cool and there is no auto focus in the world faster than pre focused but of course its a bit tougher with a 135 than with a 35.

Timsxsi
159 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 20, 2012 23:32 |  #6

AdjustThePolarizer wrote in post #15020514 (external link)
Always been of coarse a Canon guy. But, lately i've been thinking about picking up a new Zeiss 135mm. But my only concern is the MF. Has anyone here had problems making the transition from AF to MF? Thanks!

I am the new ( a few weeks) owner of a Zeiss 100 MP for my 5DII. I use live view to focus the lense. The images this lense produces are outstanding. Using Live View, focusing is easy and accurate. The view finder is not so easy to use. Im going to get one of the EG-S focus screens and try that. Im still working on the transition from AF to MF however I feel the image quality is worth the extra work.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Sep 20, 2012 23:43 |  #7

Took me 3 weeks to master MF, in my first attempts I was horrible :D

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

mzondeki
880 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 20, 2012 23:52 |  #8

Honestly I use my MF lens more often than my AF Lenses. It slows you down for a good reason.
MF is much easier and more precise on MF only glass than equivalent Canon glass with AF/MF switch.
I have CZ 135/2.8 . It just kills my 70-200 F4LIS .

RX100V, A7 + Contax Zeiss [28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/53182994@N06/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,033 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zeiss Lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.